This one is for you teenagers. ..

Deerthug

Whether the sign is true or not, a parent will win very LITTLE respect shoving a sign like that into a teenagers face.  Maybe if you treat the teenager like a young adult, they might act like one.  Treat them like a know-nothing, and you will have problems.  

• Like 1

Well, the title of the thread is "this one is for you teenagers".   There was at least one teenager here who didn't exactly find it funny, so one way of another it was shoved into his face whether he deserved it or not.  I wouldn't expect many of you here to understand, though, so no sense trying to explain any further.

Whether the sign is true or not, a parent will win very LITTLE respect shoving a sign like that into a teenagers face.  Maybe if you treat the teenager like a young adult, they might act like one.  Treat them like a know-nothing, and you will have problems.  

Typically in the 'real world', you don't get something or treated in some way until you first demonstrate that you've earned and deserve it.   That's one of the main lessons that has to be learned in the maturing process.   With the exception of our government, most people don't just give things, they have to be earned.

ps: not directed to you steve, simply a slightly different view on that statement

Edited by bluecoupe
  • Like 1

Typically in the 'real world', you don't get something or treated in some way until you first demonstrate that you've earned and deserve it.   That's one of the main lessons that has to be learned in the maturing process.   With the exception of our government, most people don't just give things, they have to be earned.

ps: not directed to you steve, simply a slightly different view on that statement

So what you are saying is that a person must in some way prove themselves to earn your respect before you treat them with any sort of dignity?  

So what you are saying is that a person must in some way prove themselves to earn your respect before you treat them with any sort of dignity?  

I will treat people politely as long as they demonstrate behavior that appears to deserve it.  If they appear to be rude, obstinate, arrogant, etc then no, I will not treat them politely.   Respect? NFW that's simply given, that MUST be earned. 

• Like 3

The sign is a JOKE…With some truth in it. I have known a ton of teenagers, including my own kids, who think they know more than anyone. Its part of the growing process, for a lot of them.

No one is talking about not treating teenagers with "dignity"

• Like 1

I have known a ton of teenagers, including my own kids, who think they know more than anyone. Its part of the growing process, for a lot of them.

Yeah, and I've known lots that were totally respectful, and never showed this know-it-all attitude you guys are harping on here.  They were terrific kids in every way.  Why should they not feel that a sign like that is not a swipe at them also?  What can I tell you guys?  From my experience, those kids who get out of control and think they know more than anyone probably have parents who think they know it all, too.

Yeah, and I've known lots that were totally respectful, and never showed this know-it-all attitude you guys are harping on here.  They were terrific kids in every way.  Why should they not feel that a sign like that is not a swipe at them also?  What can I tell you guys?  From my experience, those kids who get out of control and think they know more than anyone probably have parents who think they know it all, too.

I think you'll understand better when you grow up.

From my experience, those kids who get out of control and think they know more than anyone probably have parents who think they know it all, too.

I agree that they learn it from their parents (good and bad). Right down to work ethic, respect and responsibility. Pull one parent out of the equation and let the kids on the street to learn it from other kids that haven't had a grounded set of values instilled and the product is a downward spiral. It certainly isn't every kid but I have to say that I think the percentage of kids that don't demonstrate those values is higher than when I was growing up. And probably the number in my generation was higher than a couple generations prior to that when you were growing up B)

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

I think it's time to chime in on this one....

Steve chill out a bit... who said anything about not treating them with dignity.  It was meant as a joke and not a swipe at all teenagers. Perhaps I should have worded the title better - "To all you Know it all Teens"  There is that better??

I am a first generation American born from immigrant parents who busted there a$$es to get where they are and I was one of those "know it all" teens thinking that because they didn't speak English well I knew better than them. I was quickly put in my place when I mouthed off at a young age and yes I EARNED their respect as I matured.  Now as a father of two teens I listen to them talk and they remind me of me back in the day.  Needless to say they have started earning my respect as well. 

• Like 1

I agree that they learn it from their parents (good and bad). Right down to work ethic, respect and responsibility. Pull one parent out of the equation and let the kids on the street to learn it from other kids that haven't had a grounded set of values instilled and the product is a downward spiral. It certainly isn't every kid but I have to say that I think the percentage of kids that don't demonstrate those values is higher than when I was growing up. And probably the number in my generation was higher than a couple generations prior to that when you were growing up B)

I can't disagree with anything except the last sentence.  The 863 behind my name refers to the month and year of my birth, so I've got two years on you.  LOL

I never had the know it all attitude when I was younger. Don't get me wrong, there were some things that i thought I was an expert in but my father was always there to teach me a lesson. My parents taught me something new about every day so maybe that showed me that i didn't know as much as one of my parents. But my brother..was a completely different story. He was the classical teenager. Unfortunately he hasn't realized that hes not a teenager anymore . 

Edited by ATbuckhunter

Not since 1985 when I graduated college. 

Ooops…sorry. Its just that a lot of adults would realize that I was just busting your chops, just like a lot of teen agers think that they know everything. Pointing that out with a goofy little sign is in no way denigrating or disrespecting all teenagers.