Ammo sales background checks suspended indefinitely

http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/NY-SAFE-Act-ammo-sales-deadline-is-a-dud-5143693.php

Wednesday marks the first anniversary of New York's SAFE Act, a controversial gun law passed by lawmakers and signed by Gov. Andrew Cuomo a year ago in the wake of the Newtown, Conn., school massacre.

The day will come and go without a key component of the law going into effect.

Wednesday was originally supposed to trigger a requirement that buyers of ammunition go through background checks before purchasing bullets or shells.

Gun dealers are then supposed to keep records on the sales.

But the deadline has turned out to be a moving target and is delayed until further notice.

The vague timetable for requiring background checks was first reported by the Times Union in October and it was made official around the start of January through a letter to the public from State Police Superintendent Joseph D'Amico posted on a website outlining the new law.

"The state database is currently under construction and not operational, and prior notice will be given to all sellers on a timely basis before the database is completed and any requirements are relevant," reads the recently added statement on the SAFE Act site (http://www.governor.ny.gov/nysafeact/gun-reform).

News of the delay came as no surprise to gun dealers who late last year suspected that was the case when they noticed they hadn't received any details about the background check mandate from the State Police, who are charged with enforcing the new law.

That hadn't changed as of Tuesday.

"We've received nothing in print from the state yet," said Dave Beecroft, who operates Beecroft's Shooters Supply in Schaghticoke.

There are, however, other changes effective Wednesday, including a new requirement that ammunition purchases over the Internet go through a licensed gun dealer rather than directly from the vendor.

Additionally, those who own magazines that can hold more than 10 rounds as of Wednesday are supposed to get rid of them or modify them so the limit is 10.

It wasn't clear how many of those large-capacity magazines are out there, but some shooting enthusiasts predict that few gun owners will immediately comply.

"I suspect there are going to be an awful lot of people who simply ignore it," said Stephen Aldstadt, a gun rights activist with SCOPE, or Shooters Committee on Political Education

starts at 10 bucks going up to 20.  I personally think there has not been such a shortage as reported.  I have friends in other states that have been able to get ammo all along with no problems.Go to pa or vermont, there seems to be ammo I believe supplies to NY state have been intentionally kept low so people could not stock up.  Now with the background check supposedly starting yesterday, there seems to be more ammo out.   Watch it dwindle again until the system is put in place.  No ammo no way to shoot. Again just my opinion.  Stock up on supplies and learn to reload.  I even bought molds for all my calibers and will make lead bullets if I need to.  The purpose of the ammo check is for one reason.  They know what calibers you have even for guns not registered.  Then if they need to come and get them, they will have a list of ammo you have purchased and can say where is the 30-30 you bought ammo for etc etc.  I also heard and this is unconfirmed so please remember that.  If you want to purchase any ammo that will work in an "assault weapon"  you can not purchase it without a registration card showing you have registered one with the state.  Now that covers a lot of different calibers as we all know.  So, it may not be as easy as going ot the store filling out a paper paying a ridiculous cost and leaving with a box of 22's

As soon is a definite  date is announced there will be another mad rush & the shelves will be empty again. I believe there is a fee for the background checks.

Yup. starting at $10 and anticipated to move up to $20. Now go to a store that sets a limit of....say 3 boxes. so that is $20 added to every 3 box purchase.  

If you want to purchase any ammo that will work in an "assault weapon"  you can not purchase it without a registration card showing you have registered one with the state.  Now that covers a lot of different calibers as we all know.

So how would a guy like me show paperwork of registration for my Encore in .223? No way can they require that ( In know I know. People didn't think they would do this either..,.lol) and I don't recall seeing anything in the law that required proof about the guns for ammo purchases.

Yeah, a lot of places are still pretty low, but I was thinking of my area. The local Gander Mtn. has tons of everything. 

9mm, .45, .40, .380, .38,.223, .5.56, and most other rifle cals. No problem, They even have bulk packs. They get 22LR in on a fairly regular basis but the hoarding continues so it doesn't last.

When a date is announced "POOF!" all gone.

culver that is the point you can't.  So you would not be able to purchase.  As I said not validated info just what I heard from good sources. 

Freaking idiots. Best move I made was getting into reloading and making sure I can do every caliber I own. (22LR excepted) Wonder how long before they make the move on components?

Bubba, Can you PM me what you are using for the casting operation?

ok, so hypothetically of course, IF I had long guns that I was given by my Dad or that I bought 40 years ago and aren't registered then I wouldn't be able to buy ammo for them unless I registered them?  (of course this is a theoretical question only but I'm sure glad we're moving out of NY  in a few years)

All that has t be registered in NY is so called assault weapons   if you do not have a gun that meets their standards for an assauly weapon, you do not have to register.  However if you have a firearm that is a caliber that can be used in an assault weapon, which is about everything made, if you do not have an assault weapon registration card, you can not buy ammo in those calibers. For instance 223 and 308 are very common calibers in ar's if you do not have a card saying you own an ar in 308 that is now registered with the state, you can not buy 308 ammo for your deer rifle because you may be buying it for an unregistered assault weapon to shoot up your town

It will effect all guns in that caliber   Let me see if i can verify the info.  I was told by a good source this part is being kept quiet.  Fast Eddie eluded to it a few days ago that a store clerk told him that.  So I went looking. 

It will effect all guns in that caliber   Let me see if i can verify the info.  I was told by a good source this part is being kept quiet.  Fast Eddie eluded to it a few days ago that a store clerk told him that.  So I went looking. 

Most of the Store Clerks don't know the Rules / Regulations and are guessing at some things . An Associate at a DICKs store said that his understanding was that it would be necessary that you had to have a card showing that you had  a gun registered in the caliber of the ammo you wished to purchase . He was probably 1/2 right .

Posted by Fasteddie ( the Eluder ) sent from e-machines T3085  :girlcrazy:

All that has t be registered in NY is so called assault weapons if you do not have a gun that meets their standards for an assauly weapon, you do not have to register. However if you have a firearm that is a caliber that can be used in an assault weapon, which is about everything made, if you do not have an assault weapon registration card, you can not buy ammo in those calibers. For instance 223 and 308 are very common calibers in ar's if you do not have a card saying you own an ar in 308 that is now registered with the state, you can not buy 308 ammo for your deer rifle because you may be buying it for an unregistered assault weapon to shoot up your town

Rediculous!!!

So, has anybody tested the system just to see how it actually does work? Do we have any members that are gun shop owners that sell ammunition and have to know the rules. It seems strange that at this stage of things that we are still guessing.

I was at the local shop yesterday.  he told me the only thing he has heard is it is delayed indefinitely.  You can not test a system that is not up and running yet,  We have been fed little bits of info for a year and trying to put the pieces together.  They are not going to hand it ll over now. 

Since AR's are the only long guns required to be registered, what will all other long gun owners show as proof of owning a gun in the caliber they wish to purchase ammo in??  I can't think of anything that will suffice?  And how will all this impact hunting in general when someone would have trouble purchasing a popular deer cartridge like the . 308?  I think the impact would be huge and would have a detrimental effect on sales of hunting licenses and money usually talks.  This is where I can see this ammo part of the SAFE act getting thrown out.  And when I say thrown out, I mean in the courts.  I wouldn't expect any NYS politician, present or future to have enough brains to know what's actually happening here, so in my opinion those who think that electing in new politicians might somehow get this SAFE act repealed are barking up the wrong tree.  The ONLY way the ammo part, or any part of the SAFE act gets scrapped is if Scalia and co. on the Supreme Court get a chance to rule on it.   They are the only ones with any reasoning abilities to see how ridiculous and unenforceable a law such as this ammo law is.   If New York gun owners want this part or any part of the SAFE act repealed that is where most of the effort should be.  Get people to take this crap to court.  Bring up cases from all sorts of infringement angles and hopefully one can make its way to the Supreme court, where I have NO doubt that Scalia would love to write the majority decision shooting down his liberal paesano's (Cuomo) gun law.