Dicks sporting goods

Gizmo285

I stopped into Dicks Sporting Goods today in Orchard Park NY looking for some closeouts on Hunting gear. Could have shot a cannon off in the store and not hit anyone. Store employee was stocking shelves in the ammo aisle and I kiddingly asked, " Any 22LR ammo available?" He said I can sell you a BRICK of Remington 22LR ammo. I almost fainted. IHe would only sell 1 brick per customer but it was a good sign . I paid $25.50 OR RIGHT AROUND THERE WITHOUT TAX. I Left a Happy Camper...

• Like 1

I pretty much avoid dicks sporting goods after the stunt they pulled last year.  Lets not forget they jumped to remove the so called assault rifles off their shelves even before this safeact business.  Talk about stabbing the customers who keep them in business in the back.

• Like 1

Two weeks ago I added .22LR to my wife's shopping list.  I was shocked when she came back from walmart (Middletown) with 3 boxes.  

That is a great sign. Maybe they are producing more or there are less hoarders.  Good to see them trickling back on the shelves.

I doubt DKS will have major financial issues going forward. They are well-positioned, regardless of political climate. Their business model works efficiently.

Their competitive brick and mortar landscape is pretty much SA, with Cabelas and BPS in the mix.

A lot of upside to DKS.

Their biggest risk is org structure with the Stack family controlling much of the business and they are regarded as a dog that will hunt. Once the elder Stack lets go of control, there is a bit of a perception that a leadership vacuum will occur and whatever the replacement, will be of lesser caliber. Thus, as long as Stack is driving...results will follow. I'd dump the stock as soon as he dies and then re-evaluate as a successor is chosen and has weathered the storm.

Field & Stream Sporting Goods Inc. have been checking out various locations in Amherst, Cheektowaga and Niagara County

This headline made me sit up until I realized it is the same folk as Dicks behind the curtain.

As much as I am a supporter of the 2A, I don't really get the hype some people worked up over DKS. Nobody wanted to seem them pull certain firearms, but they have a fiscal responsibility to shareholders and a business decision was made - repeat - a business decision - not a government. Some places liked to tout the "reduced sales" but anyone with a business acumen knows they weighed the risk value appropriately as evidenced by their financial sheet today. You can't treat a private enterprise like a government.

Business decisions based on politics will bite them in the ass in the end.How many sporting jerseys and yoga mats can they sell to make up for flagging customer loyalty?

Having ridden the baffling rise in stocks these last few months DKS is starting to dive, along with the rest of the market as reality finally kicks in. Watch this space. There is a general retail tsunami just round the bend.

Don't forget that Dicks announced there 'business' decision was actually made 'out of respect for the victims of the Connecticut massacre.' = Politics. And most of what they sell is one step up from wal-mart junk anyway.

They’re Dicks all right

http://weaponsman.com/?p=6372

They knew exactly how it was going to bite them in the rear...that's why they did it. They knew there'd be a short-term blip and the opportunity cost was weighed appropriately. Their financials are the best within their business segment. Sports Authority can't sniff their rear-end, BPS, Cabelas, and Gander are only partial competitors, and Wal-Mart generally only focuses on low-end gear. The fact you predict a tsunami in the retail space actually proves my point if it were to come true. Why? Because DKS is the BEST POSITIONED sports retail company. Stores that will be in trouble are the smaller scale stores that cannot ride out any waves within the economy or the stores that are in trouble financially. In fact, DKS has an expansion model that is so perfectly suited to poor economic times, that it came out of the "recession" or whatever you want to call it in better shape than any other within its business segment. It'll do it again if there is a "tsunami."

Business decisions are based on the environment and balancing shareholder return. Just because a politically-based decision seems to ruffle your feathers, in the end, it relates to how that "impacts" their bottom line. And guess what, they were right. Now you get to deal with a whole new chain of stores dedicated to the hunting/fishing pursuits, in addition to DKS, and Golf Galaxy, etc.

The reality you preach that there is some danger to DKS that will make it fall from grace, simply is not true. DKS is actually about as good as it gets right now. The barriers to entry in the marketplace are not only expensive, but also complex. DKS enjoys economy of scale, logistics precision, and a super strong financial sheet.

Are they the best thing since sliced bread? No. But, they're the best within the sporting goods industry from a stock/business perspective. Gander had to go private or face a nuclear meltdown, BPS is a joke, and Cabelas is sound, but having trouble because they can't keep their identity. Notice how they are making smaller stores now? Why is that? Because they can't compete with the revenue per square foot of places such as DKS. And, guess who that 500lb gorilla is that just jumped in head-first into their business model, designing similar sized stores. One that has big time money to pump into it. DKS.

Ah yes, the 'bottom line'. The be-all, end-all of of a viable human society and all that is good. Must not upset the holy of libertarian holies. And I don't doubt your observation that Dick's is the best out there.It just makes the situation all the more lamentable.

Bottom line is what it is...the market bears it as the rule of the game so to speak.

There are not many companies who don't fall victim to that rule. Those who proclaim not to - you know, the kind that says "we won't sacrifice the greater good or helping the community, etc. and so on" are saying/doing that precisely to improve their bottom line. It all starts and stops there.

Edited by phade

I agree with Phade.  Every corporate decision is evaluated with the potential outcome.  Gun owners are a minority.  I don't invest in Dicks, mostly because I rarely invest in retailers.  I bought and sold Cabela's for a small profit, just because I knew most analysts were underestimating the sales of firearms and all the additional sales that a firearms brings (ammo, cases, safes, cleaning equip, optics etc.)  I made nice money on RGR and SWHC for the same reasons, but I am out of those now also.  I'm long Apple, VZ,T,VOD,CREE,SBUX,YOKU,SINA,QIHU.  I've been positioning my portfolio into more solid companies over the past 6 months.  I don't own any put contracts right now, but I wish I did over the past couple of days.

I was just at dicks at the galleria mall they did t have any hunting clothes on Clarence but most of the safety harnesses were 50% off. All scents. Scent droppers/wicks were all 50+ % off and all hunting soaps body wash laundry and dryer sheets all were 50% off

post-1581-0-66940100-1390586931_thumb.jp

post-1581-0-21762200-1390587059_thumb.jp

Edited by Red

I bought one of those Scent Hot Pods for $3.99 and at the end of season bought another for $.99 . I have a bunch of ladder stands from DICKs as well as clothing , boots , guns , ammo , archery gear and numerous other things . I will continue to shop at the Webster , Victor , and Henrietta DICKs stores . I also make use of their REWARDS Program . No need to drive to Buffalo to Cabelas or Waterloo for Bass Pro when I have 3 of the DICKs stores in the back yard !

"Business is business," I get that.  But, when you stab your clients in the back for capitalistic gain that is morally incomprehensible to me. 

Best example I can make is PM.  PM makes a product which at the end of the day keeps me in business yet kills and causes extreme suffering.  In fact some close friends of mine made a killing earlier this year investing in PM.  Morally, I could not do that.

Justifying DKS decision by saying it was purely business or whatever other excuse you make for them only shows what your priority may be.  I am not saying that's right or wrong.  That's for you to decide.  In my book it was a disappointment and I will avoid giving them business if I can.

Edited by fu2lmao

"Business is business," I get that. But, when you stab your clients in the back for capitalistic gain that is morally incomprehensible to me.

Best example I can make is PM. PM makes a product which at the end of the day keeps me in business yet kills and causes extreme suffering. In fact some close friends of mine made a killing earlier this year investing in PM. Morally, I could not do that.

Justifying DKS decision by saying it was purely business or whatever other excuse you make for them only shows what your priority may be. I am not saying that's right or wrong. That's for you to decide. In my book it was a disappointment and I will avoid giving them business if I can.

Good for you taking a stand. Nice to see. Im sure DKS knew a few people would, and they could spare you as a customer for long term business health.

Again, nice of you to make that decision for your moral compass. But they didnt stab anyone in the back. They didnt customer wise at least. I know they burned a few bridge with manyfacturers.

Edited by phade