Potential plot area next year.

mlammerhirt

Well the property I hunt has a gas line cutting through the middle. With the dry summer we had it allowed the person responsible for brush hogging the gas line to do a nice job of really opening up the area in the picture below. I do have a stand right off the gas line with lanes that allow for shots at deer on the gas line. My question to the forum is would you focus on turning this green area into a plot? We are not allowed to till......but I was thinking no till method and planting clover. Let me hear your thoughts....always planning for next season even though this one has just begun.

The second pic is what is mainly growing on this gas line....in think it's just a ground cover weed.242eb68a7852e0c5d593701fc42f35d9.jpgc5fe749534f7fcbb6f85a2a9a0ad1013.jpg

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

I know everyone says rye, but the deer in my area don't touch it.  Landowner has 60 acres planted  in 3 different fields. It's 3" high and the deer don't touch it.  

Before someone says it's not cereal rye, yes it is. He harvest in the summer to make rye whiskey. 

He has one field split in two.  Basically there is a 60 yrd wide strip of unplowed, unplanned field between the two rye plots.  The deer flock to that area in the field that isn't planted. 

6 minutes ago, mowin said:

I know everyone says rye, but the deer in my area don't touch it.  Landowner has 60 acres planted  in 3 different fields. It's 3" high and the deer don't touch it.  

Before someone says it's not cereal rye, yes it is. He harvest in the summer to make rye whiskey. 

He has one field split in two.  Basically there is a 60 yrd wide strip of unplowed, unplanned field between the two rye plots.  The deer flock to that area in the field that isn't planted. 

Perhaps they don't touch it because there is something else available at the same time they prefer more.  Something they won't touch is something they will eat when there is nothing else available.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DoubleDose said:

Perhaps they don't touch it because there is something else available at the same time they prefer more.  Something they won't touch is something they will eat when there is nothing else available.

They obviously prefer what's growing in the hay portion of the field over the rye.  Last time these hay fields have been replanted was probably 15+ yrs ago. 

Didn't see deer in the rye last winter either. 

I'm wondering if it's because it's a rye for whiskey, that it might not have to same appeal as typical cereal rye. Different type of rye that just doesn't taste good. 

i have thrown triticale in fall in the middle of the woods around October20 and it sprouted enough in 3 weeks for deer to come to eat during gun season.

I like the saying " if you are not failing you are not even trying". Do something anything and learn from it.

Edited by suburbanfarmer
  • Like 1

Well, the deer called me a friggin liar today.. 

Every deer I've seen today fed through the neighbors hay lot into the rye fields to feed. 

These 4 fed up to my position and wouldn't have had a clue I was there except I forgot to turn the flash off, and the first pic definitely caught there attention, lol. 

IMG_20221015_183909664_HDR.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1