Let's see your turkey rigs...

alloutdoors

What's everyone carrying to the turkey woods this year? Let's see some photos! I've mostly been chasing birds with my bow the last few years but I picked up a new toy last summer and will be shotgunning most of this spring. I already had a chance to break it in last fall, but I can't wait to get it out in the spring woods!

Benelli M2 20ga with a Burris FastFire 3, I'll be shooting Federal Heavyweight 7's.

_Q7Q7678_zps6b86413d.jpg

What's everyone carrying to the turkey woods this year? Let's see some photos! I've mostly been chasing birds with my bow the last few years but I picked up a new toy last summer and will be shotgunning most of this spring. I already had a chance to break it in last fall, but I can't wait to get it out in the spring woods!

Benelli M2 20ga with a Burris FastFire 3, I'll be shooting Federal Heavyweight 7's.

_Q7Q7678_zps6b86413d.jpg

This might be a dumb question but isn't #7 shot out of a 20 gauge kinda light for Turkeys? I'm shooting 3.5"  #5 shot out of my 12 gauge.

This might be a dumb question but isn't #7 shot out of a 20 gauge kinda light for Turkeys? I'm shooting 3.5"  #5 shot out of my 12 gauge.

Lead is 11g/cc, HW shot is 15g/cc. If starting at the same muzzle velocity, HW7 will retain more velocity at 40 yards than #5 lead, and will also out penetrate the lead. #5 lead will have a very marginal advantage in ft-lbs of energy per pellet, but the extra pattern density (more hits) of the HW7 will easily outweigh that slight advantage. In other words, the HW7 will actually outperform lead 5's if comparing equal payloads. Of course a 3 1/2" will hold a much larger payload than a 3" 20ga, but HW7's are still more than enough to get it done. My setup puts about 170 hits into a 10" circle at 40 yards, there isn't a turkey walking that will survive that.

Lead is 11g/cc, HW shot is 15g/cc. If starting at the same muzzle velocity, HW7 will retain more velocity at 40 yards than #5 lead, and will also out penetrate the lead. #5 lead will have a very marginal advantage in ft-lbs of energy per pellet, but the extra pattern density (more hits) of the HW7 will easily outweigh that slight advantage. In other words, the HW7 will actually outperform lead 5's if comparing equal payloads. Of course a 3 1/2" will hold a much larger payload than a 3" 20ga, but HW7's are still more than enough to get it done. My setup puts about 170 hits into a 10" circle at 40 yards, there isn't a turkey walking that will survive that.

Hmmm. I may have to give that Heavyweight stuff a try! Gotta find a good turkey choke for my gun first.

What choke are you using in your rig?

Nice rigs everyone, keep them coming! I think the turkeys are in trouble this spring!

What choke are you using in your rig?
It's a SumToy .562-5, it's a great choke for HW7's and will put up pretty good numbers with other heavier than lead loads and lead too. The nice thing about working with William is that if you aren't happy with the results you get he will swap out chokes with you until you are. http://www.sumtoycustoms.com Edited by alloutdoors

Remington 870 12ga 3" Magnum / factory rifle sighted barrel

Drilled and tapped reciever with Weaver see thru rings

Leupold NWTF Turkey scope

Remington Super Extra full choke

Federal Premium Turkey Load #6

Took more than a few NY turkeys and 2 Grand slams

post-3304-0-49737400-1392500928_thumb.jp

Edited by LI OUTDOORSMAN

• 4 weeks later...

Here is a pic of my turkey gun. It's a Winchester 1300 NWTF Edition, scoped with a Leupold 1x4. I had some barrel work done: forcing cone lengthened, and pro-ported. Rhino .660 choke and shooting Nitro Tri-Plex Heavishot shells 4x5x7.

Jerrysnewboxcallworkedwell.jpg

Good eye! I sent it out to be dipped over the summer in 2011. The original duratouch finish was looking pretty rough. I really like the Bottomland pattern too.

Little off topic but where did you send it to get it dipped? And how much was it.

_Q7Q7678_zps6b86413d.jpg

Sweet looking set up! I have the Benelli Super Nova with a Kicks Gobblin thunder choke... I use the Magna Blends and the patterns are deadly. I was wondering if you liked the Burris Fast Fire III? I was thinkning about picking one up. I like them because they don't look to big and bulky on the gun. 

I really like the FF3. I've used a bead, fiber optics, a scope, and a scope style red dot in the past. In my opinion the reflex style sight is the way to go. It's rugged, waterproof, has a battery life something like 10,000+ hours, and weighs less than an ounce. Pretty hard to beat.

• 4 weeks later...