Most Versatile Caliber for NY Hunting?

CFD914

.243 has been off the shelves in local stores for a while. I'm selling mine off now, because I'm reloading.

They must be off the shelves because its a horrible round for NYS....

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

I haven't checked out the ammo shelves much  recently since the " hoarding" began, since I reload all of my centerfire rifle ammo.

However,   in my travels over the last  30 years I HAVE paid attention to what ammo was on the shelves, even in little  out of the way  rural stores in many parts of Canada and the US, including Alaska.

Seems like EVERYPLACE had  .243,  .270 Win, 30-30, .308 and 30-06.  7MM Rem mag was well represented also.

Edited by Pygmy

So after all the BS and hijacking, it was all siad and done when he said NJ and Dutchess. There are no Elk, Moose, Cape Buffalo...you can't use a rifle, so the only thing left for a one gun solution is a 12ga.

Now please go back to BS arguments over whether it should be over/under, side by side, pump, auto or lever action

Edited by Suilleabhain

Well a 243 for bear???? I know they penetrateed 4inches and never made it to the muscle let alone body cavity 5 shots in all at bear i got. shots were broadside at 40 yards... bear you need 30 cal(maybe a heay 270 or 25 06 if perfect shot placement) or shotgun preferably 12 guage slugs.IMO . 12 Ga with buck and bird barrel though to beat

I wish I had known this before I shot a bear with my 7-08.  I never would have shot if I knew it was way too little gun to do the job.  wait a minute it did the job speer 145 grain pah pow dead bear.  

If the OP is going to hunt in Dutchess and NJ which are shotgun only areas but he's still talking about 243s and 30-06, it makes me believe that his main priority is to have a center fire rifle to shoot with and hunting is really secondary.

If that is the case, either 30-06 or 243 is fine for paper. 30-06 is the more popular round and you can find all kinds f variety and availability. The 243 is a much more flatter (thus more accurate) round at long distances. 30-06 can reach out there but the 243 will reach out there as well with less bullet drop and wind drift. It may not be as popular as the 30-06 but it is not an obscure round by any means. It is still very popular round as well. The 243 though, has less barrel life than the 30-06. means you have to replace the barrel on a 243 quicker than a 30-06. Stuff for you to consider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you need to decide what is the biggest thing you're going to hunt. I don't feel like anything less then a .308 or 30-06 to take care of bear, and that round is just fine for deer. But a little too big for some fur bearers if you like the pelts. I'd say a .270 is a nice deer round. Personally, I believe you need at lest 3 guns to cover the majority of NA game. A large rifle for deer and bear. A .22lr for squirrel and target. A shotgun with 2 barrels for duck and turkey etc. minus accessories you can have all 3 for under $1500. These May not be perfect for any one game. For example you'd want a nice over under for pheasant, but a pump will do the job too. A .270 may be better for deer but not bear. You can also get a rifled barrel for a deer slug gun too. 3 barrels, one gun. Then buy a Ruger 10/22 and you're good. Just my .02

Ps a .22 can kill a deer with the right shot, it's about increasing your odds when we talk caliber. These arguments seem to be endless when talking personal defense as we'll. especially with the newly popular .380.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Belo

Belo,

Great insight, I agree with you, 3 guns and will cover everything from what I have been ready. A smaller caliber for small game, a larger caliber for big game, and a shot gun as it is extremely versatile.

Thank you all for the input

Elmo,

In the beginning when I posted, I had only thought about a rifle, however, through reading all of the post and great feedback, I have learned that the shot gun, 1. is the only gun for hunting in the area's specified, 2. is used for deer, even I know about deer slugs and all, just never thought of it as a deer gun, as I would a rifle.

Thank you for your input as well. Still learning, and always willing to learn more!

Nothing wrong with just having a gun just to go to the range with and shoot.  I have guns that I don't hunt with.  They're purely just for fun.  Just want to clarify the true purpose.  Some people like to hunt, some like to shoot.  Nothing wrong with either one of them.

• Like 1

Bubba, guy in my club shot a 500# bear at Moose Lake in the late 50's with a .300 Savage. Guess he made a mistake too.

I had a Weatherby Vanguard in 30-06 can I get in on the Weatherby talk or is it limited to magnums?

Not sure why you are coming after me?  i was responding to a comment that you need a 30 caliber or bigger to kill a bear.  Since a 300 savage si 30 caliber, I would guess it would be acceptable.  Look up the ballistics on the 300 savage, and you will see it is more than acceptable It is the parent cartridge to the 308, and the ballistics are as good.  I own one in model 99, and I would go after a bear or a moose or anything else with it.  I hope this answers your question regarding the ol 300.  I would recommend it to anyone.  As faras the magnums, feel free to chime in.  I never mentioned them, so who am I to say anyone can't?

bubba you and a few others are active shooters/reloaders, and i never limited to 30 cal. .270 , 7mm 08 is let alone the more common 30 cal rounds are fine but the question was versatility.. shotgun is most by far . a .243 or .223 in hands of skilled practiced ,and experianced shooter may be able to. but for the average person ..there will be a lot of wounded bear using a .223 or .243.. they are light for a big bear.. the load variety from factory are greatest for a 30-06... for a .243 not much finding anything but 55- 70 grain .. i've skun the bear and saw the damage 90 grain bullest did from that .243...made it thru the hide and fat an thats it at 40 yards long thick fur and a less than perfect shot placement and you cant tell me you would expect the .243 to do a effecient job. your margin of error is much better for an exit wound with a larger caliber... to tell a novice hunter to use one in my opinion is a poor idea.. nor is it a good idea to reccomend a 300 mag.. that he/she would have trouble handling is not wise either. personally i am a big bore fan, but i own .223 ,204 ruger, 6m ppe,.243 and 25-06.

Elmo,

In the beginning when I posted, I had only thought about a rifle, however, through reading all of the post and great feedback, I have learned that the shot gun, 1. is the only gun for hunting in the area's specified, 2. is used for deer, even I know about deer slugs and all, just never thought of it as a deer gun, as I would a rifle.

Thank you for your input as well. Still learning, and always willing to learn more!

It's funny that some will poo poo the shotgun for deer, as much of the USA is rifle. I've hunted my whole life with a browning 12 gauge and with its rifled barrel, leupold scope and lightfield sabot slugs it's always put them down just find around 100 yards. Unless you're hunting fields, chances are that's the longest shot you'll have 90% of the time anyhow. For me, I learned on that gun, so I was delighted at how much less a rifle kicked when I finally got the chance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Belo

Not sure why you are coming after me?  i was responding to a comment that you need a 30 caliber or bigger to kill a bear.  Since a 300 savage si 30 caliber, I would guess it would be acceptable.  Look up the ballistics on the 300 savage, and you will see it is more than acceptable It is the parent cartridge to the 308, and the ballistics are as good.  I own one in model 99, and I would go after a bear or a moose or anything else with it.  I hope this answers your question regarding the ol 300.  I would recommend it to anyone.  As faras the magnums, feel free to chime in.  I never mentioned them, so who am I to say anyone can't?

Bubba I wasn't coming at you, I was agreeing with your other post

Elmo,

Before you get your mind made up about using a 12ga shotgun for deer, shoot one first with a slug then think again.

You don't want to base your purchase on hunting deer with a slug shotgun, only to find out it kicks like a mule and it becoming a paper weight.

If you must have only one firearm, then the shotgun is it, as stated many times it can take any game in NYS and NJ. If 2-3 guns is within your budget(plans), then I'd recommend a Rimfire, centerfire, and shotgun or muzzleloader.

A capable Rimfire such as the .22 magnum, 17 HMR or the new 17WSM are all capable rounds of taking small game as large as coyotes. They'll all do very well with smaller game such as squirrels and chipmunks.

Centerfire has been discussed, and the .243 has been mentioned a few times, and I can see that you do like this round. Don't let the lack of available ammo scare you, it's a great caliber than can handle gophers up to black bear(oh say it ain't so!). Expect barrel life to be around 1500-2500 rounds before groups open up .5 MOA. That's still MODEER at 800 yards if you can do your part. It's very well capable out to 300 for sure.

For areas where centerfire is not allowed for deer and bear, I'd go with a muzzleloader. Shoots just like a rifle.

bubba you and a few others are active shooters/reloaders, and i never limited to 30 cal. .270 , 7mm 08 is let alone the more common 30 cal rounds are fine but the question was versatility.. shotgun is most by far . a .243 or .223 in hands of skilled practiced ,and experianced shooter may be able to. but for the average person ..there will be a lot of wounded bear using a .223 or .243.. they are light for a big bear.. the load variety from factory are greatest for a 30-06... for a .243 not much finding anything but 55- 70 grain .. i've skun the bear and saw the damage 90 grain bullest did from that .243...made it thru the hide and fat an thats it at 40 yards long thick fur and a less than perfect shot placement and you cant tell me you would expect the .243 to do a effecient job. your margin of error is much better for an exit wound with a larger caliber... to tell a novice hunter to use one in my opinion is a poor idea.. nor is it a good idea to reccomend a 300 mag.. that he/she would have trouble handling is not wise either. personally i am a big bore fan, but i own .223 ,204 ruger, 6m ppe,.243 and 25-06.

You did read that the OP was shooting a .22LR at 200 yards, right? I'm just going out on a limb here, and going to assume that he'd rather be precise, than to miss vitals on a bear at 40 yards.

As for the 55-70 gr comment, I WISH I can find those bullets weights right now. All I'm getting are those pesky deer and bear bullets, 90-105 grains.

It's funny that some will poo poo the shotgun for deer, as much of the USA is rifle. I've hunted my whole life with a browning 12 gauge and with its rifled barrel, leupold scope and lightfield sabot slugs it's always put them down just find around 100 yards. Unless you're hunting fields, chances are that's the longest shot you'll have 90% of the time anyhow. For me, I learned on that gun, so I was delighted at how much less a rifle kicked when I finally got the chance. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This year was the most pleasant shooting experience of my deer-hunting life. Ontario County became another new county allowing rifle use for deer. This year I actually had an opportunity to sit down with my deer gun (.270) and actually spend considerable time doing  lot of target practice with it. It was fun, and didn't result in a black & blue shoulder or flinching. Sighting in my deer gun was actually a pleasant and fun experience and not something to be dreaded. The old 12 ga. Ithaca may never come out again .... lol. The .270? .... two deer for two shots.

• Like 1

I would agree that a Shotgun would be the firearm of choice because it's versatile and not limited to one caliber or what can be fired out of it for the game being hunted.

Handgun or rifle calibers would be the choice of the hunter,I might like a Chevy.and you might like a Ford.

NYSDEC states that they should be larger then .22 caliber ( centerfire ) and 410 shot gun.