Most Versatile Caliber for NY Hunting?

CFD914

Boring? Sorry still learning. Because of price per round? Or is it for other reasons? Thanks

Very boring cause it's an old mans gun.  

THAT is what I mean, it is so easy that old guys don't want things complicated so they grab an '06 because works no fuss no muss. 

Guns are easy to find and ammo can be found under the seat or in the glove box of most pick ups in the boonies. :O 

((DON'T TELL KING ANDREW THOUGH))

• Like 2

Boring? Sorry still learning. Because of price per round? Or is it for other reasons? Thanks

It's tongue in cheek....It's just that EVERYONE has a 30-06, but many people have never even heard of a 6.5 x 57 or a 7 x 64.

When I talk about my 9.3 x 62, I often just get blank looks..

Some of us rifle loonies ( and ol' Lawdwaz is as looney as they come)  like to play with  calibers that are a little bit DIFFERENT than what everybody else uses. 

The goal is the same, whatever you use...A clean kill on a game animal.

• Like 2

The most versatile gun for all species in New York State really isn't a caliber at all. More likely it is specified with a gauge number. It is the shotgun that is the most versatile for killing everything from bunnys to birdies to bears. Hands down, if you want one gun for all occasions, the shotgun is it.

• Like 1

The most versatile gun for all species in New York State really isn't a caliber at all. More likely it is specified with a gauge number. It is the shotgun that is the most versatile for killing everything from bunnys to birdies to bears. Hands down, if you want one gun for all occasions, the shotgun is it.

Good heavens would that be boring.....................I ain't THAT old.

Yet.

Good heavens would that be boring.....................I ain't THAT old.

Yet.

But it does satisfy the title of the thread as being the most versatile caliber for NY hunting ..... that is if you were to ignore the word "caliber" .... lol. There's no question that almost any shotgun can effectively take any legally huntable species of bird or animal in the state, and in fact has.

For that matter, Doc , you could sustitute the words " on this continent"  for   "in the state".

I have even read that  elephants were  taken effectively in Africa with 12  bore shotguns using solid ball loads for heart shots.

In fact, 12 bore, 10 bore, and 8 bore rifled shotguns using brass casings and solid ball projectiles ( called paradox guns) were relatively  common for use in Africa  around the beginning of the (last century).

The 243 is a much more flatter (thus more accurate) round at long distances. 30-06 can reach out there but the 243 will reach out there as well with less bullet drop and wind drift. It may not be as popular as the 30-06 but it is not an obscure round by any means. It is still very popular round as well. The

Elmo. Check your ballistic charts. with a round I would consider minimum for the 243 (95gr) for deer and a 150 gr out of the 30-06. Both have a very similar trajectory and the wind drift effects on the heavier bullet is less.

Please stop recomending a .243 as a caliber for ny bear...bullet weight be damned its a fine deer round and in the hands of an expert fine. heck fred bear killed a polar bear with a recurve bow (although i do like the 4 guys behind him with rifles)ancient man did it with spears. The question was for ny game big bear is a possibility. a 30 cal is a much better choice. Review below by many more knoledgeable shooters than myself.

According to Hunting Rifles Reviews, rifles chambered for calibers between .270 and .30 caliber are popular for hunting black bears. The .270 and 7mm are the smallest recommended calibers for bears, and Hunting Rifle Reviews recommends pairing these lighter-caliber rifles with a heavier bullet, to ensure adequate penetration and knockdown power. A .270 cartridge paired with a 150-grain bullet, a 7 mm with a 160-grain bullet, or a .30 caliber cartridge with a 180-grain bullet are all recommended.

Larger Rifle Calibers

According to Gunblast, "black bears have been killed with just about any cartridge you can think of." The website recommends something in at least a .35 caliber or larger, though, because the bear's thick hide and copious fat sometimes prevents much blood from leaking out of a bullet wound, making a wounded bear difficult to track. Gunblast also recommends the 44 Magnum and calibers such as .458 and .457 for taking black bears.

Shotgun Slugs

Because they are often hunted in heavy cover and at fairly close range, black bears are sometimes also taken with shotgun slugs. Gunblast recommends nothing smaller than a 20 gauge slug

Read more: http://www.ehow.com/list_6794937_smallest-calibers-black-bear-hunting.html#ixzz2uWmhUjYa

Versatile firearm Shotgun it is ,Caliber is the hunters choice for the game and distance and the location.I have had everything form a .17 centerfire to a .300Win. Mag. The 30 -06 had the most over the counter choices at the time.

Now where I live and hunt and do not intend to shoot anything over 200 yards. I have a .243 AI. BBL twist limits from a 55 grain to a 85 grain, will cover every thing on my property except bear.The one I carry the most is my 6.5 x 55 Swede.Custom BBL. and Custom wood stock.Just finished reloading 100 ea.with 140 grain. bullets, If there are bear around I will take my .Custom Win. model 70 in a 358 Win.out,that I am reloading some 200 grain RN. and 225 grain balistic tips.     

You're measuring one of the lightest loads for a 30-06 to one of the heaviest for 243 though.

definitely not the lightest loads for the 06. I am comparing the usual loads used on deer for each. In this conversation would it be more accurate to compare a 65 grain in 243 and a 220 in the 06?  no way. Even if you bumped the 06 to 165 the trajectory is not that different at our normal hunting distance. And regardless of the decision made on the caliber the heavier bullet is affected the least by the wind.

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

You're measuring one of the lightest loads for a 30-06 to one of the heaviest for 243 though.

Re-read.  I didn't say thee lightest or thee heaviest.  I said one of the heaviest meaning it's leaning toward the heavier side.  I also don't know much about the Ackley Improved.  Is it a completely different caliber from a normal 243?  Can an Ackley Improved be shot out of any 243 rifle?

Re-read. I didn't say thee lightest or thee heaviest. I said one of the heaviest meaning it's leaning toward the heavier side. I also don't know much about the Ackley Improved. Is it a completely different caliber from a normal 243? Can an Ackley Improved be shot out of any 243 rifle?

If you are talking to me the comments I made were about what you said on the 243. We weren't discussing the AI

Have held the Ruger American a few times and really liked it. It also has very solid reviews. Considered that, Savage Axis and Savage Trophy Hunter. Couldn't find the Trophy Hunter anywhere and I went with the Axis. Already swapped out the optics. You're going to need to throw on a scope on the Ruger but thats not a big deal. Almost everything today groups pretty well regardless of price. Best of luck in your search and good caliber choice.

• Like 1