Most Versatile Caliber for NY Hunting?

CFD914

I guess while I am asking questions, Would a 30-06 at 125gr be enough weight for a deer or would it be moving too fast to insure an ethical harvest?

basically any weight bullet fired from a 06 will be fine for deer. Don't worry so much about the weight. In a caliber like that it is more the construction of the bullet. That would be the best attention paid to any deer caliber.

I read in you post that you are comfortable shooting at 200 yards. Just a question. Was that bench rest shooting? if the group is good on the bench, stand up and take the same distance shots off hand in any position you are going to use for actual hunting situations. That will be the best practice with your 22 or what ever gun you decide on.

• Like 1

Hello CFD, I've been doing a load of google.com research on the different deer calibers for just ny deer and coyote/ varmint combo I'm looking at 25-06, 257 Roberts or maybe a 7mm 08 if you want to include bear too. I'd love to find a good 25-06 as it seems to have it all covered with much less recoil than a 270 or 30 06.  Just my 2 cents in an area where there are a million opinions.

GM

Edited by genesee_mohican
  • Like 2

Thanks again.

The 200 yards began on a bench, and when I became more comfortable, I am now standing at targets, shooting both paper at 200 yards, and dangling cans at 100 yards. 

I may expect the same with a larger caliber, practice until I feel comfortable. I wouldn't want to go out in the woods without a familiarity with the rifle or shot gun, as well as knowing before hand my limitations and comfort ranges.

This year was the most pleasant shooting experience of my deer-hunting life. Ontario County became another new county allowing rifle use for deer. This year I actually had an opportunity to sit down with my deer gun (.270) and actually spend considerable time doing lot of target practice with it. It was fun, and didn't result in a black & blue shoulder or flinching. Sighting in my deer gun was actually a pleasant and fun experience and not something to be dreaded. The old 12 ga. Ithaca may never come out again .... lol. The .270? .... two deer for two shots.

Agreed, but one must consider budget. So if he can only get one gun I'd recommend an 870 or 835 with a few barrels. I also noticed a big difference in kick with my browning verse my mossberg. You do usually get what you pay for.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I guess while I am asking questions, Would a 30-06 at 125gr be enough weight for a deer or would it be moving too fast to insure an ethical harvest?

When all else fails and you're just starting out, buy the box that has the picture of what you're hunting on it lol. Over the years try different makes and loads and if you really get into it you can start hand loading.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

When all else fails and you're just starting out, buy the box that has the picture of what you're hunting on it lol. Over the years try different makes and loads and if you really get into it you can start hand loading. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Garanimals for bullets...lol. Federal does it.

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

Thanks everyoneI am also looking at the Catskills as well. Probably will scrap Dutchess. Now I am wondering can I use my 22 in Dutchess for hare and squirrel? Or still shot gun only?Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can use Rimfire to hunt for small game in general in all of NYS, with some exceptions such as region 1, 2, and 3S. Also, some properties such as Stewart State Forest.

Shotgun only for deer doesn't mean shotgun only for squirrels.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

• Like 1

Most, if not all, factory loads for the 30-06  with bullets LIGHTER than 150 grains are constructed for varmints..That would be 110 grain and 125 grain, and perhaps others. NOT a good choice for deer hunting.  Exceptions might be reduced recoil loads.

Any  factory loads for the 30-06 ( or .308)  loaded with 150 grain or heavier bullets are designed for medium to big game.

There are some bullets available to handloaders lighter than 150 grains that would be suitable for deer,but if you are using factory loads, stick with 150, 165 or 180 grain bullets for deer.

Went walking around today, looking at different rounds at Walmart, though not a Sportsman Store, they had tons of 7mm-08, 7mm Mag, 300 WSM, 30-06 in 150, 165, 180, and 223/5.56. Thoughts on those rounds, prices were all $20-30 per 20 rounds and varied on Manufacturer.

Went walking around today, looking at different rounds at Walmart, though not a Sportsman Store, they had tons of 7mm-08, 7mm Mag, 300 WSM, 30-06 in 150, 165, 180, and 223/5.56. Thoughts on those rounds, prices were all $20-30 per 20 rounds and varied on Manufacturer.

A few months ago, you wouldn't be able to find any .223 or 30-06. Soon, you'll start seeing the less popular rounds such as the .243 and .308 again.

If you were to get a short action, I'd go .243 or .308 shooting factory ammo. Long action, 270 or 30-06 factory. If loading, I'd go with a 6.5 Creedmoor.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

If you're looking for a good deer/just about anything else rifle round. It's the 30-06 all day. I have taken tons of deer with it using 150grn.  factory loads and I have friends who have use it (with heavier bullets ) to take moose, elk, caribou and black bear with no problem. Ammo is easy to find. My 2 cents.