I have a friend who has been purchasing ammo online from cabelas for a while now. Yesterday he tried to get 2 boxes of rifle ammo and when he ordered it they said that they can't ship to his zip code, which is in Long Island, NY. He took a ride to a local gun shop and had no problems there getting it . Does anybody know of any place that still mails ammo to Long Island, just curious.

I have a friend who has been purchasing ammo online from cabelas for a while now. Yesterday he tried to get 2 boxes of rifle ammo and when he ordered it they said that they can't ship to his zip code, which is in Long Island, NY. He took a ride to a local gun shop and had no problems there getting it . Does anybody know of any place that still mails ammo to Long Island, just curious.

Joe,

Let me start by saying that what I am bout to post is not intended as a direct attack against you. I am going to use this thread as an illustration for some of the topics currently on this forum.  I was wondering.

How old are you?

How old is your friend?

How long have you two hunted/used guns?

Have you ever heard of the Safe Act?

Have you ever read the Safe Act?

Do you and your Friend vote?

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 1

Philoshop,  was your friend one of those that said the NY Safe Act won't effect him? Seems like all the people that said that does not effect me, are now just learning it does.Also the background check system has been put on hold, pretty sure Cuomo is delaying it till after the elections.

Nope.

I'm one of those guys that downloaded the bill the day after it was released to the public because I knew it was coming. Which was also the day after it was enacted.

I've spent the past year being pi@@d off and trying to do something about it.

• Like 1

Should have emphasized the 'will have to'. I was pointing out the intent of the law as written.

To the OP, and to emphasize Culvercreeks post, search around here for info on the SAFE act (in the stickies at the top of this sub-forum) and learn who the politicians are who think it's a good idea.

Then go and vote them out of office, and tell your friends too.

If I understand it all correctly, the problem with mail order purchases of ammo was relating to the fact that the Safe Act required back-ground checks which are only valid when performed "in-person" (not possible with mail order).

But, The background check portion of the Safe Act is voided by the fact that no such background check system exists. I believe that mail order houses could continue to sell to NYS up until a background check system is devised, if the companies had the stones to test the law.

If I understand it all correctly, the problem with mail order purchases of ammo was relating to the fact that the Safe Act required back-ground checks which are only valid when performed "in-person" (not possible with mail order).

But, The background check portion of the Safe Act is voided by the fact that no such background check system exists. I believe that mail order houses could continue to sell to NYS up until a background check system is devised, if the companies had the stones to test the law.

But with them being able to sell all the ammo they get without selling to NY , they won't run the risk of incurring legal fees to fight a charge.

But with them being able to sell all the ammo they get without selling to NY , they won't run the risk of incurring legal fees to fight a charge.

Yup, it's a sellers market when it comes to ammo. They don't need NYS business enough to put up a fight. But I can see how the OP might have become a bit confused. We have a system that has created a defacto ban on mail-order ammo sales even when the mechanism to enforce that part of the law doesn't exist. Chalk it up to another wack on gun owners that Andy and his minions have gotten away with.

Doc that is what I should of said, since the background check is delayed, why can't he still purchase mail order ammo? And Culvercreek my friend and I are both in our late 30's . Our dad's had us learning gun safety and shooting by the time we were 8-9 yrs old. Started hunting as soon as we were able to get our safety course certificates I'd say around 12, I think. No I have not read all of the safe act and I know I should but I sure do know who I am not voting for come Nov. and so does everyone in my house and family.

Doc, the Ammo background check is not voided, it is just delayed. Not many ammo dealers will even ship to NY, plus I don't believe many FFL Dealers in NY area even accepting ammo shipments. Why would they as they sell ammo.

Currently it is a law that can not be complied with, which voids it's implementation until such time as a system enabling compliance is established. That certainly sounds like a perfectly good legal argument for anyone that would care to challenge it. And, who knows perhaps there would be no real legal need to challenge it.

Shipping to NY and the back ground check are two separate entities.  It became illegal 1/15 to ship ammo to an individual in NY state regardless if the background check was in place.  A company can send to an ffl or licensed ammunition sales person and all they need to do is hand over the ammo as the background check is not in place yet with a fee I am sure.  .  However as stated who is going to do so even if the background check is in place when they sell ammo on their shelves.  In fact most places that sell ammo in my area are planning not to after the background does come into place to include walmart.   (after November 4th)   My daughter is a manager at a local walmart and they have been told the day the background check becomes usable they are pulling all ammo in all stores in NY.  They are saying it is not worth the hassle to do so.  The OP shows just how this law is being ignored by the "sportsman" who does not think it effects them.  This was the message from the king and his minions.  Apparently enough people believe him and trust him not to follow up.