Decent buck finally down

Geno C

Well after logging over 75 hours in my stands, i was finally able to close the deal on a decent deer... i have been praying to have a doe come in close enough all season or a nice buck but this season i have to admit was amongst the slowest for me. i really had a hard time getting it done this year. i have passed up quite a few small bucks since Oct 1st and i made a deal with myself to take a doe or anything really that came within and i also decided to hit a spot that is my defintion of a honey hole. i dont hunt it more then a few times a year and i always see deer out of it. infact i always have deer directly under the stand. i did alot of yard work around the house on saturday, temps were alittle high and i made the call to slip into my secret spot for a evening hunt. when i got there i managed to slip past 3 does bedded up 45 yards from my stand and after 5 minutes or so of being posted they got up and started feeding towards me. about 2 minutes after that i had 2 yearling bleeting under my stand and not 2 minutes later i had a nice size doe sprint up from behind me with a gimp leg, i was ready to draw but was unable to get a shot on her. i heard branches breaking and something coming in in a hurry, when i looked i saw horns and decided it was go time. this buck was running this doe hard and stopped quartering away from me at 5 yards. I let the rage rip taking out a lung and top of the heart while it stopped int the off shoulder. the buck ran 20 - 25 yards and went to continue to run the doe, took 2 steps and piled up! the whole thing lasted 10 seconds and my whole hunt on stand was done in less then 15 minutes... doesnt always happen like that but its always pretty neat to have a nice buck down and be out of the woods with nice light still up!

hes not huge but i love the character on the left beam, hes a nice 7 point.

1113001559.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

thanks guys! hopefully the next one is bigger but at least i was able to fill the freezer. i can only be selective for so long, after 75+ hours in stand and 8 weeks into the season, i coudnt pass on it... i cant kick a good horse so im happy with him.

ive been grinding at the bit for even a glimpse at a decent buck and it just has not happen for me. i had to break the ice!  ;)

Congrats on the buck!! I know how you feel, I've logged about as many hours in the stand! It's been my worst season ever, as far as sightings.

tell me about it... i got some really nice deer on trail cam, all at  night nothing in the day. sighting in stand have been amongst the worst for me