Dog Surgery

phade

One of our dogs is under the knife today to remove a large stone in her bladder. 10 years old...$1,500.

I made the mistake earlier this week mentioning to my wife that "You know, she is 10 years old after all. Is $1,500 too much to spend?"

Let's just say I won't ask that question ever again. Queue the water works. Sheesh.

Good luck with your pup, Phade...

I hear what you are saying.

20 years ago I was about to go on a caribou hunt near the Arctic Circle when our family pet, a springer spaniel, decided to take a nap under a truck, resulting in his hind leg being shattered.

None of the local vets were willing to attempt the surgery. The only hope of saving the dog was surgery at Cornell, which would cost around 2K.

My first thought was that a .22 shell only cost around 5 cents ( at that time).

HOWEVER, I was about to spend around 4K for a caribou hunt for myself..How could I NOT spend the $$$ to save our family pet, and keep my happy home ?

I went hunting and the dog got saved. Unfortunately, about a year later the accident prone SOB got run over by a senile neighbor. Compost occurs...<<sigh>>...

I've also dropped some serious coin on pets.  Seems each one has a big dollar problem at one point or another.  Sometimes more than ONCE........................ :angry:

A ten year old dog?  I know, I know. 

I don't blame you...............I wouldn't have done it but sure can't fault your decision. 

Good luck with the pooch!!

hope he is doing well

I had a dog named Bear  he traveled every were with me some kids took him out of my truck when I was shopping  and when we tried to get back to me was hit by a car cost was $2,ooo and I lost Bear 2 weeks later was it worth it I believe it was would I do it today I don't know and don't want to find out we get very attached to out pets

My uncles dog was recently attacked by another dog and caused significant damage. Multiple surgeries but she is getting better. She was just recently cleared to start sleeping under the bed again. The bed is on blocks so she has more room under it.

My Lab is 13. I told my wife that we wont be spending a ton of money to try to keep her alive at this age...just put her to sleep if something happens. That went over like a fart in church! I understand your situation completely. Good luck to your dog and wallet. Unfortunately, it seems when dogs go down the surgery path its never ending. Something else always comes back that you need to shell out more money for and then the dog dies anyways.