How to get started in hunting?

frankieh

1) Get your hunting license for the game you wish to persue.

2) Check with local DEC about any regulation that might pertain to the area you would like to hunt.  (Local regulations can vary from state so check to be sure you are legal.)

3) Get the fire arm of your choosing to fit the game you are after.  Shoot often and become well versed in what ever weapon you choose.

4) Start your journey and enjoy the outdoors.  Best bet is to get a partner with more experience to tutor you in the finer points of your game.

Give me more info and I can give you more.

• Like 2

To hunt, you must take and pass the Hunter Safety course, then purchase you license for the year (or purchase a life-time license)

Some areas require a special permit to hunt on some lands, like the NYC watershed lands and some park lands.

If deer hunting, then you may want to get doe tags, otherwise you are limited to one buck.

Depending on where and what you are hunting will help determine what gun and other items you need.

Some counties and some state lands are shotgun only, others may limit deer hunting to archery only.

For birds (turkey, grouse, crow, goose, duck, quail, etc) you must use a shotgun.

Small game like squirrels, rabbits, groundhog/woodchuck, and your fur-bearers (fox, coyote, martens) you can use a .17 or .22 caliber rifle.

Deer and bear hunting laws require you to use a larger caliber than a .22 rifle, or 20 gauge or larger shotgun.

Best all-round choice would be a shotgun, either 20 or 12 gauge.  If will be in an area that you can see and take long-range shots, I would get a combo package of a smooth-bore and a rifled barrel that you swap.  Use rifled barrel for deer/bear hunting with sabots, the smooth-bore barrel for everything else.

If you live in one of the 5 boroughs of NYC, then you need a special permit to have a gun within city limits.

Clothing

Duck, goose, turkey hunting you would need to blend into the environment, so clothing should be camo.

Deer, rabbit, etc should wear some hunter safety orange so you will be seen by other hunters.

How heavy (warmth) or light you need is up to you and the weather you intend to hunt in.

Accessories

gun cleaning kit - specific to your caliber

personal choice if want to use calls and/or decoys.

Scope on a gun is a personal choice,  Scope choice will vary by intended shot range, desired magnification, etc.  If only taking shots 50 yards or less, then scope is not necessary as long as the barrel has sights on it.

some people use cover scents to help hide the human smell

some use scent lures for deer

tick repellant (Sawyers Permethrin)  is a must in high tick areas.  Apply to clothes only.

Deet to apply to exposed skin (back of hands, neck, face) to keep mosquitoes at bay

Best learning method is to work with some experienced hunters and spend some time to sight-in your gun at a range.

• Like 2

How to get started?

First off git your self a nice pair of leather shorts and some marine lube. Cover yourself head to toe, grab the biggest, badest fully auto 'assualt' rife you can find. Get a few beers down your neck before going afield.

Then, run into the woods, screamin like an arapaho and shoot anything, and I mean anything, that even looks at you cross-wise. Eggs are great target for the avid sportsman. Once succesful, drag your kill round to all your neighbors and make an L on your fore-head for them. They love this usally.

Well out of all the advice I would rather do this lol

I am interested in shooting any wild game; bear, deer, turkeys, ducks, whatever I come across. I am in the NY Metro area so I am assuming I will have to do a bit of driving. Ideally I would take a drive out somewhere (hopefully not over 2 hours each way); spend the daylight there then drive back once it starts getting dark.

To hunt, you must take and pass the Hunter Safety course, then purchase you license for the year (or purchase a life-time license)

Some areas require a special permit to hunt on some lands, like the NYC watershed lands and some park lands.

If deer hunting, then you may want to get doe tags, otherwise you are limited to one buck.

Depending on where and what you are hunting will help determine what gun and other items you need.

Some counties and some state lands are shotgun only, others may limit deer hunting to archery only.

For birds (turkey, grouse, crow, goose, duck, quail, etc) you must use a shotgun.

Small game like squirrels, rabbits, groundhog/woodchuck, and your fur-bearers (fox, coyote, martens) you can use a .17 or .22 caliber rifle.

Deer and bear hunting laws require you to use a larger caliber than a .22 rifle, or 20 gauge or larger shotgun.

Best all-round choice would be a shotgun, either 20 or 12 gauge.  If will be in an area that you can see and take long-range shots, I would get a combo package of a smooth-bore and a rifled barrel that you swap.  Use rifled barrel for deer/bear hunting with sabots, the smooth-bore barrel for everything else.

If you live in one of the 5 boroughs of NYC, then you need a special permit to have a gun within city limits.

Clothing

Duck, goose, turkey hunting you would need to blend into the environment, so clothing should be camo.

Deer, rabbit, etc should wear some hunter safety orange so you will be seen by other hunters.

How heavy (warmth) or light you need is up to you and the weather you intend to hunt in.

Accessories

gun cleaning kit - specific to your caliber

personal choice if want to use calls and/or decoys.

Scope on a gun is a personal choice,  Scope choice will vary by intended shot range, desired magnification, etc.  If only taking shots 50 yards or less, then scope is not necessary as long as the barrel has sights on it.

some people use cover scents to help hide the human smell

some use scent lures for deer

tick repellant (Sawyers Permethrin)  is a must in high tick areas.  Apply to clothes only.

Deet to apply to exposed skin (back of hands, neck, face) to keep mosquitoes at bay

Best learning method is to work with some experienced hunters and spend some time to sight-in your gun at a range.

Thank you for helping me out; do you have a gun recommendation and where I can get it for the most economical price? IE which 12 or 20 guage I would get with specifed barrels

Really you should take a course first, actually I saw a few on groupon, intro to guns that run courses out on the island.  Teach you the basics, safe handling, and shooting. 

After that, check out the classifieds here and then on a few other sites.  Honestly if you never handled a gun before go with a friend and or take a course. A hunting class wont teach you the proper way to clean, handle and use a gun. 

Here: https://www.groupon.com/deals/renaissance-firearms-instruction-2

Its rifle related, but everything still applies.  Once you do that, then look into getting your hunting class.  Spend a lot of time at the range, learn the ins and outs of your gun and how it works.

Well out of all the advice I would rather do this lol

I am interested in shooting any wild game; bear, deer, turkeys, ducks, whatever I come across. I am in the NY Metro area so I am assuming I will have to do a bit of driving. Ideally I would take a drive out somewhere (hopefully not over 2 hours each way); spend the daylight there then drive back once it starts getting dark.

You should also consider archery. Forgot to mention that in my other post, then you have the island as well as areas in westchester and the rest of NY.  

• Like 1

What was it that made you decide that you wanted to hunt? Is there someone that already hunts that interested you in trying it out? My recommendation would be to find someone that hunts and go along with them on a trip or two. It's hard for me to imagine, but there is a possibility that there may be things about hunting that don't turn out the way you imagine them. The very worst thing would be to buy a whole lot of equipment and then discover that there is something about hunting that is not for you. So, I go back to my first question, "What was it that made you decide that you wanted to hunt?"

You should also consider archery. Forgot to mention that in my other post, then you have the island as well as areas in westchester and the rest of NY.  

Wouldn't a bullet be more effective than an arrow (and safer) at dropping an animal such as a bear? I know the archery seasons open earlier which would be better I guess but it seems that archery hunting is much more difficult. 

What was it that made you decide that you wanted to hunt? Is there someone that already hunts that interested you in trying it out? My recommendation would be to find someone that hunts and go along with them on a trip or two. It's hard for me to imagine, but there is a possibility that there may be things about hunting that don't turn out the way you imagine them. The very worst thing would be to buy a whole lot of equipment and then discover that there is something about hunting that is not for you. So, I go back to my first question, "What was it that made you decide that you wanted to hunt?"

I've been looking to buy elk/venison/wild game birds for months and haven't found any reasonable pricing. Figured it would be cheaper to go out and hunt during fall than spend a few thousand on meat.

• Like 1

I've been looking to buy elk/venison/wild game birds for months and haven't found any reasonable pricing. Figured it would be cheaper to go out and hunt during fall than spend a few thousand on meat.

So, it's a financial decision, with a little healthy eating aspect thrown in. That's fair enough. We all have our own different reasons.

I would still suggest that if there is any way possible to team up with an experienced hunting friend, that is the absolute best way to get started.

• Like 2

second most of what everyone else said. But the best thing you can do is find a friend or relative to assist. It'll save you hours of reading and show watching. Avoid the outdoor channel. It's not realistic. There are some good "deer hunting teaching" dvd's out there. Avoid the "deer hunts" dvd's although they're good for getting a feel.

Start yourself of with a mossberg 500 or remington 870 combo, you can pretty much take anything out to 150 yards.

http://www.basspro.com/Remington-870-Express-Combo-12-Gauge-w/20-Rifled-and-26-Vent-Rib-Barrel-Shotgun/product/10217898/

http://www.mossberg.com/product/shotguns-pump-action-mossberg-500-500-combo-standard-trigger/54243

Thanks; do you have a preference towards either?

Again; I appreciate the help from everyone. I am probably going to take that rifle safety course on groupon, take a hunters safety course, then ask a few friends if they know anyone going hunting.

Hunting is a great sport, and I hope you grow into the sport and find that you enjoy it to the fullest. However,  if your trying to save money on wild game meat by starting to hunt then you may be in for a surprise at what the actual cost per pound of meat ends up being.

Also, unless your hunting a fenced area, I don't believe we have any elk in this state. 

GM

• Like 1

http://www.basspro.com/Remington-870-Express-Combo-12-Gauge-w/20-Rifled-and-26-Vent-Rib-Barrel-Shotgun/product/10217898/

http://www.mossberg.com/product/shotguns-pump-action-mossberg-500-500-combo-standard-trigger/54243

Thanks; do you have a preference towards either?

Again; I appreciate the help from everyone. I am probably going to take that rifle safety course on groupon, take a hunters safety course, then ask a few friends if they know anyone going hunting.

Either the 500 or 870 is a smart choice for a beginner. You really can't go wrong with either.

12 and 20 gauge is also a personal choice. If you had to buy one for everything, I'd opt for the 12 simply for bird hunting purposes. A 20 will work well for deer and be manageable for most all game here in NY, but the payload capacity for a 12 over a 20 when talking about birds is better.

Sounds like you are a  locavore, so I am going to answer you in that context. If you are a locavore, you will be probably be interested in a variety of meats rather than just venison, and have no interest in trophies. If so it is important that you clarify that when seeking advice or a mentor.

I would say take both the DEC firearm safety course and the DEC waterfowl identification course. Most people learn to shoot with either an air rifle (bb or pellet gun) or a .22 caliber rifle. However, shooting a rifle is nothing at all like shooting a shotgun. In accordance with the law (most) game birds can only be hunted with a shotgun. Shotguns are also preferred by most hunters for cottontails and hares ('rabbits'). I recommend you find a certified shotgun instructor and tell him you never fired any gun and request if he can also give you a lesson on rifle shooting. It will run you $50 lesson and up but it is worth it. To familiarize yourself with guns and shooting it shouldn't take many lessons, but you may want to continue to hasten the learning curve and shoot well quicker.

You should also research public hunting lands, including pheasant stocked lands, using the DEC website. Where to hunt what game is going to take some time to learn. Get a pair of binoculars and go to these lands in advance of hunting season.

As far as equipment, don't worry, greed is the guiding hand and manufactures will make sure you know about all their products. In general you will need blaze orange clothing for some forms of hunting and camo for other forms. A pair of insulated, camo, neoprene chest waders is also essential.

The most important piece of equipment a hunter needs, besides his gun, is a hunting dog. That is a whole learning journey in itself, but mentorship through dog clubs is plentiful. Consider a dog early in your hunting career as well.

As you can see, its not just grab a gun and sit in the woods and shoot something, but a life style. Finally, I want to address what you said about buying wild game meat. Only certified game farms can legally sell wild game meats, a hunter can not sell you meat. Farm raised wild game is not much different than farm raised domestic live stock from the perspective of a locavore. The only way to legally obtain quality free range wild game is to lawfully hunt or receive it as a gift as long as it is packaged and tagged in accordance with the law and harvested legally.

• Like 1

Sounds like you are a  locavore, so I am going to answer you in that context. If you are a locavore, you will be probably be interested in a variety of meats rather than just venison, and have no interest in trophies. If so it is important that you clarify that when seeking advice or a mentor.

I would say take both the DEC firearm safety course and the DEC waterfowl identification course. Most people learn to shoot with either an air rifle (bb or pellet gun) or a .22 caliber rifle. However, shooting a rifle is nothing at all like shooting a shotgun. In accordance with the law (most) game birds can only be hunted with a shotgun. Shotguns are also preferred by most hunters for cottontails and hares ('rabbits'). I recommend you find a certified shotgun instructor and tell him you never fired any gun and request if he can also give you a lesson on rifle shooting. It will run you $50 lesson and up but it is worth it. To familiarize yourself with guns and shooting it shouldn't take many lessons, but you may want to continue to hasten the learning curve and shoot well quicker.

You should also research public hunting lands, including pheasant stocked lands, using the DEC website. Where to hunt what game is going to take some time to learn. Get a pair of binoculars and go to these lands in advance of hunting season.

As far as equipment, don't worry, greed is the guiding hand and manufactures will make sure you know about all their products. In general you will need blaze orange clothing for some forms of hunting and camo for other forms. A pair of insulated, camo, neoprene chest waders is also essential.

The most important piece of equipment a hunter needs, besides his gun, is a hunting dog. That is a whole learning journey in itself, but mentorship through dog clubs is plentiful. Consider a dog early in your hunting career as well.

As you can see, its not just grab a gun and sit in the woods and shoot something, but a life style. Finally, I want to address what you said about buying wild game meat. Only certified game farms can legally sell wild game meats, a hunter can not sell you meat. Farm raised wild game is not much different than farm raised domestic live stock from the perspective of a locavore. The only way to legally obtain quality free range wild game is to lawfully hunt or receive it as a gift as long as it is packaged and tagged in accordance with the law and harvested legally.

Thanks for the information; I have located the bowhunter/hunter course here

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/92276.html

waterfowl course here 

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/92272.html

Do you mean a firearm safety course in general? Or specifically to DEC

I think I am going to take those free courses and decide whether or not I want to commit. If I do I will purchase a shotgun and go out to a range. Either way I should probably have a shotgun for home protection so I don't see it as a wasted investment.

http://www.nssa-nsca.org/index.php/nsca-sporting-clays-shooting/training-information/instructors/level-1-instructors/

Thanks for the information; I have located the bowhunter/hunter course here

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/92276.html

waterfowl course here 

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/92272.html

Do you mean a firearm safety course in general? Or specifically to DEC

I think I am going to take those free courses and decide whether or not I want to commit. If I do I will purchase a shotgun and go out to a range. Either way I should probably have a shotgun for home protection so I don't see it as a wasted investment.

I was referring to two different things, see below. Also, I don't think $200 or so on shooting instruction is a wasted investment whatever you decide. And I forgot to mention,  recently Gander Mountain Stores are offering simulated shooting instruction at some of their stores. That wont replace the real thing, but its something to throw in your tool box.

1)The DEC Firearm hunter safety course and the DEC waterfowl ID course, both of which are free.

2) Private shooting instructors. They are easy to find, here is just one link to start your search. Be sure to scroll down below Nevada, they put New York out of order: http://www.nssa-nsca.org/index.php/nsca-sporting-clays-shooting/training-information/instructors/level-1-instructors/

do yourself a favor and spend just a bit more for the 850 mossberg. Your shoulder will thank you. Especially if you get into shooting turkey with 3.5" mags. But the 500 and the 870 are great starter guns too with multiple barrel choices for shooting just about anything in NYS. You really can't go wrong with any of the 3. Even a good used 870 will save you some money if you're still unsure about the sport. Like golf, you don't go out and buy a set of taylormade irons if you're not sure you're going to like it.

check the classifieds for used gear too. camo isn't cheap.

Edited by Belo

I would recommend going to a shooting range to get a feel using a shotgun - they more kick than most rifles.  Some ranges have a few on hand to use, for rental fee of course.

I use various available guns in the family.  Most are 30-40 plus years old and are all good shooters.  So a good quality used gun is fine if funds are tight.

I mostly use a 16 gauge semi auto, not so common these days since the 20 gauge magnums hit the market, for just about everything.  Smooth-bore barrel only,  since most of the time I am in the woods and not having long open fields (or no backstop for a long shot) A smooth-bore shotgun is all I need most of the time.  I growing up, some of my friends only used single-shot guns for hunting, including goose and rabbit.  So single or double-barrel may be an option for you if you take good shots consistently.

If your are a smaller frame person, you may want to consider the 20 gauge, in general less kick than a 12 gauge.  If go to a magnum, then the gun will kick more.  A heavy barreled gun will reduce the kick, but does get heavy to carry around all day.  But a 12 gauge being a larger caliber, has more pellets going down-range, so larger change of getting a bird or two.  Recommend trying each caliber at a range to get a feel for what is comfortable to you before making a purchase.

You said NY Metro area, so I am guessing you would look to lands either on Long Island, Westchester, Putnam, Orange, and Sullivan counties.

Rockland and Westchester counties is basically all private land.  Orange County has Sterling Forest (a few archery only zones in it), Stewart buffer lands (shotgun only), Storm King mountain (deer only?), West Point (deer only by special permit, Pochuck State forest, and Huckleberry Ridge state forest.  Sullivan has a few areas like Mongaup and the Catkills state forest.

As someone noted, Gear can get expensive.  My wife got me some turkey pot calls and a box call at a yard sale from an avid hunter who needed to pair down some of his gear accumulated over a few decades.

Quailty gear that is taken care of can last a very long time.  My son has my orange vest from when I was in high school.  Depending on weather and game, I use my grandfather's hunting coat.  We have my grandfather's zippo hand warmers from 40 plus years ago and they still work.  So nothing wrong with some good quality used gear.

Depending on what you are hunting for, hunting dogs can be a bonus as long as you have the time to care for them, keep up their training, keep them exercised, as well as their vet and food bills.  Rabbit, quail, and pheasant hunting is much easier with dogs.  I have gone out with a party of 4 without dogs and we end up having 2-3 rabbits and a bird or two, or come home empty other times.  Been out with a party of 6 with 5 dogs and we would get at least 6 rabbits every time.

do yourself a favor and spend just a bit more for the 850 mossberg. Your shoulder will thank you. Especially if you get into shooting turkey with 3.5" mags. But the 500 and the 870 are great starter guns too with multiple barrel choices for shooting just about anything in NYS. You really can't go wrong with any of the 3. Even a good used 870 will save you some money if you're still unsure about the sport. Like golf, you don't go out and buy a set of taylormade irons if you're not sure you're going to like it.

check the classifieds for used gear too. camo isn't cheap.

I don't see an 850 mossberg, I see an 835 and an 875; either way I think I am going to read up a bit on everything because I don't have much background knowledge in any of this stuff.

Good luck and don't forget the most important thing, enjoy yourself! 

Hope and wish you much success.

thank you :)

I would recommend going to a shooting range to get a feel using a shotgun - they more kick than most rifles.  Some ranges have a few on hand to use, for rental fee of course.

I use various available guns in the family.  Most are 30-40 plus years old and are all good shooters.  So a good quality used gun is fine if funds are tight.

I mostly use a 16 gauge semi auto, not so common these days since the 20 gauge magnums hit the market, for just about everything.  Smooth-bore barrel only,  since most of the time I am in the woods and not having long open fields (or no backstop for a long shot) A smooth-bore shotgun is all I need most of the time.  I growing up, some of my friends only used single-shot guns for hunting, including goose and rabbit.  So single or double-barrel may be an option for you if you take good shots consistently.

If your are a smaller frame person, you may want to consider the 20 gauge, in general less kick than a 12 gauge.  If go to a magnum, then the gun will kick more.  A heavy barreled gun will reduce the kick, but does get heavy to carry around all day.  But a 12 gauge being a larger caliber, has more pellets going down-range, so larger change of getting a bird or two.  Recommend trying each caliber at a range to get a feel for what is comfortable to you before making a purchase.

You said NY Metro area, so I am guessing you would look to lands either on Long Island, Westchester, Putnam, Orange, and Sullivan counties.

Rockland and Westchester counties is basically all private land.  Orange County has Sterling Forest (a few archery only zones in it), Stewart buffer lands (shotgun only), Storm King mountain (deer only?), West Point (deer only by special permit, Pochuck State forest, and Huckleberry Ridge state forest.  Sullivan has a few areas like Mongaup and the Catkills state forest.

As someone noted, Gear can get expensive.  My wife got me some turkey pot calls and a box call at a yard sale from an avid hunter who needed to pair down some of his gear accumulated over a few decades.

Quailty gear that is taken care of can last a very long time.  My son has my orange vest from when I was in high school.  Depending on weather and game, I use my grandfather's hunting coat.  We have my grandfather's zippo hand warmers from 40 plus years ago and they still work.  So nothing wrong with some good quality used gear.

Depending on what you are hunting for, hunting dogs can be a bonus as long as you have the time to care for them, keep up their training, keep them exercised, as well as their vet and food bills.  Rabbit, quail, and pheasant hunting is much easier with dogs.  I have gone out with a party of 4 without dogs and we end up having 2-3 rabbits and a bird or two, or come home empty other times.  Been out with a party of 6 with 5 dogs and we would get at least 6 rabbits every time.

Thanks for the advice, catskills seems pretty promising only an hour and a half from me