Teaching my 5yr old

moog5050

Very cute!! Brings back memories! My daughter has been shooting since she was 5 (now 14). She's spent many hunts tagging along with me in the stand and in the blind. She's been wanting to bowhunt, but just hasn't been able to get the bow back with much poundage. Now that we can use crossbows, she's very excited to finally be able to bowhunt!

She got her first deer last year during the youth season. As we were skinning it, she said, "Ya' know Dad, some father and daughters bond over sports, but I think our bonding time is during hunting." (I have zero interest in sports, unless my kids are playing.) Sure put a smile on my face and something I'll never forget...

• Like 2

She really wants to hunt with me.  I may have to set up a blind this next season and bring her along a few times hopefully just to see a deer.  I am blessed having a daughter that is taking an interest in my hobbies.  She likes "lifting weights" too, although its usually her rearranging my 5 and 10lb plates while I train.

moog5050, on 15 May 2014 - 08:23 AM, said:

BTW CF - how do you get a little one into a stand?  I would be scared to death that she would hurt herself.

I built a tower stand, mainly for taking the kids. The platform is 6'x8' and we have regular stairs built for it. We can talk, they can play games, snack, stretch out to nap, move around, and we put a Buddy Propane heater in there too. Works out great!

When the kids got a little older (10 or so), I bought two man ladder stands. Bought them each a HSS and have HSS Life Lines to hook up to on each stand. They are secured from the time they step foot off the ground, until they step foot back onto the ground. Of course, I also followed right behind or in front of them too. Nice to see them years later and the HSS and Life Line use is "second nature" to them now, as I never have to remind them. Then again, they saw what I went through with my tree stand fall and surgeries, so that's a good reminder for them too!