Bear & Man... Face to Face

burmjohn

So there he sits like a piece of bait hanging in the tree. What the heck are you supposed to do? The critter could have just reached over and swatted him out of the stand, or taken a chunk out of his face just to see what he tasted like.

I've only had 3 encounters with two different NY bears, but for the most part, they both seemed pretty docile.

I think you just have to respect their space if their already aware of you, and it's probably not a good idea to surprise one if he's not.

I think in this videos case, I would have let the bear know I was up there before he got as close as he did. Probably would have did that when I noticed him climbing into the tree with me,lol

While on stand, I have often wondered what I would do if one of the bears climbed the tree...one thing is for sure, I wouldn't be as cool as that guy is! (Actually, it happens relatively frequently. They are just curious).

Two of my friends have had bears climb the tree they were in...In both cases the bears descended promptly when they discovered the tree was occupied by a hunter.