Relic hunting metal detecting

AaronBlaine

Frank Pandozzi, who I metal detect with (he has been metal detecting for 30 years) has a great site, several e books and a TV series video... http://www.metal-detecting-ghost-towns-of-the-east.com/

014.JPG

I e-mailed frank a couple years ago about the series and if it would be airing in my area. He told me they were hoping to. This is the first I've heard anything since then

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Guys I need help,i would love to get one but I really no nothing about these.what brand to look at what price to start with....this is just gonna be something to try out so do I spend 300,or 200 or 500.not really sure what i am looking for.Is there one that good in sand dirt and water?  Help point me in the right direction please....

Guys I need help,i would love to get one but I really no nothing about these.what brand to look at what price to start with....this is just gonna be something to try out so do I spend 300,or 200 or 500.not really sure what i am looking for.Is there one that good in sand dirt and water?  Help point me in the right direction please....

Try looking at Kellyco.com They have big assortment of detectors and they show beginner and experienced model detectors and have lots of info on metal detecting. I have ordered from them and customer service is great. Hope that will help a bit. And don't forget You Tube.

I would also check out Big Boys Hobbies. For entry level machines, I'd reccomend the Fisher F2. They have kits for about $215 that includes a pinpointer, a regular 8" coil and a 4" sniper coil. Of course with most things, you get what you pay for so if you have $ to throw around, then go with the best you can afford.

Here are the rare antiques that I typically come up with. This trip was the search of an old sap house half way up the hill. I know the remains of the structure are no later than the 1940's, so you would have thought that I might come across something old and rare. You would think something of value would have slipped out of their pockets or would have been left behind, but no-o-o-o, nothing but crap and junk.....lol.

post-11-0-13307200-1407019676_thumb.jpg

I have done old abandoned houses and cabins and foundations and came up with the same kind of crap. Old coins? .... those penny-pinching old-timers watched every coin they ever owned and never dropped anything. Old toys? .... I don't think they ever gave their kids any. Rings, bracelets, darned old farmers never had any of that stuff apparently. Anyway, I have lost a bit of enthusiasm for the metal detecting.....lol.

Here's most of my current collection. I've sold most of the jewelry. All these items were found by me personally. The clay pipe and the red Iroquois bead next to it are my most recent finds. Can you guess what caliber the casing on the left is? To the right of it is a 300win mag, 22mag, 22lr.post-506-14070222056261_thumb.jpgpost-506-14070222252343_thumb.jpgpost-506-14070222519181_thumb.jpgpost-506-14070222718255_thumb.jpgpost-506-14070222880142_thumb.jpgpost-506-1407022302018_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I well check them out for sure about how much do I spend 300 a good starting price?

I also have a Teknetics Delta 4000 and it sells retail around $279 and has nice features and is quite easy to learn. You might want give that a look and see what you think. Good Luck!!

I think the best detector on the market right now for beginners is the Garrett Ace 250 for about $250 bucks it is as good as any thing out there... if you want something a bit more waterproof the Garrett AT Pro is a good choice... about $500... both are easy to use .. I own both and have found lots of good stuff even at cellar holes that I know have been done to death.. all detectors will have a bit of a learning curve to deal with in the beginning... but with the Ace 250 you'll be finding stuff right away.

• Like 1

I e-mailed frank a couple years ago about the series and if it would be airing in my area. He told me they were hoping to. This is the first I've heard anything since then

Its worth the buy from his site... he is probably one of the best authorities on metal detecting... been great for me because he is a personal friend... so I get to pick his brain all the time... we have spent countless hours together detecting using old maps and logging many hours searching for lost settlements in some remote places around the state... we have been tossing around the idea of maybe doing a podcast series... we'll see.

Here are the rare antiques that I typically come up with. This trip was the search of an old sap house half way up the hill. I know the remains of the structure are no later than the 1940's, so you would have thought that I might come across something old and rare. You would think something of value would have slipped out of their pockets or would have been left behind, but no-o-o-o, nothing but crap and junk.....lol.

attachicon.gifP5220001.JPG

I have done old abandoned houses and cabins and foundations and came up with the same kind of crap. Old coins? .... those penny-pinching old-timers watched every coin they ever owned and never dropped anything. Old toys? .... I don't think they ever gave their kids any. Rings, bracelets, darned old farmers never had any of that stuff apparently. Anyway, I have lost a bit of enthusiasm for the metal detecting.....lol.

LOL come with me sometime... once you know some of the secrets.. you'll start finding stuff... looks like maybe you should start discriminating out the iron with your detector..LOL

I love standing in an old cellar hole and trying to decipher from the terrain, foliage and even the directional orientation of the house as to where certain outbuildings, gardens, clotheslines, etc. may have once stood. Imo, piecing the puzzle is just as enjoyable as sinking a shovel on a target

Found this vintage Pepsi bottle (circa 62-72) completely intact and this old lead car metal detecting the side field at the house. Pretty cool I thought. attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1407016037.210816.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1407016124.270686.jpg

Are those old Pepsi bottles worth anything? I have 6 or 8 that my kid found on the local ATV/snowmobile trail. Some are twist offs, some are capped. Im thinking about tossing the things..sick of looking at them. 

Edited by ants

Are those old Pepsi bottles worth anything? I have 6 or 8 that my kid found on the local ATV/snowmobile trail. Some are twist offs, some are capped. Im thinking about tossing the things..sick of looking at them.

If in good shape they can snag $3-$10. Just depends on who wants it and how bad.

Here's most of my current collection. I've sold most of the jewelry. All these items were found by me personally. The clay pipe and the red Iroquois bead next to it are my most recent finds. Can you guess what caliber the casing on the left is? To the right of it is a 300win mag, 22mag, 22lr.attachicon.gifuploadfromtaptalk1407022201446.jpgattachicon.gifuploadfromtaptalk1407022223411.jpgattachicon.gifuploadfromtaptalk1407022250333.jpgattachicon.gifuploadfromtaptalk1407022270191.jpgattachicon.gifuploadfromtaptalk1407022286411.jpgattachicon.gifuploadfromtaptalk1407022300732.jpg

That is a great collection, very nice.

I have been metal detecting for a few year and have found boxes full of cool stuff.. civil war relics, silver, 19th century relics... last week I came upon an 1866 2 cent coin at a cellar hole in Oswego county...also found a civil war breast plate badge in Chittenango NY... a friend of mine, Frank Pandozzi, who I metal detect with (he has been metal detecting for 30 years) has a great site, several e books and a TV series video... http://www.metal-detecting-ghost-towns-of-the-east.com/

Some cool stuff I have found

attachicon.gif019.JPG

attachicon.gif014.JPG

I see that there is a spoon in this collection. I have a question that maybe some of you can answer. I have a good friend that is a licensed diver. At the bottom of a lake around 50 feet deep he found a spoon, a very old spoon. He brought it to the surface and placed the soon on the dock to dry out so he could inspect it closer. When he return a day later to check out his spoon, when he touched it literally turned into dust in his hands. He told me this very unfortunate story and asked me hold old I thought it might be based on the reaction of a metal spoon turning to dust. Anyone have an answer? 

I love standing in an old cellar hole and trying to decipher from the terrain, foliage and even the directional orientation of the house as to where certain outbuildings, gardens, clotheslines, etc. may have once stood. Imo, piecing the puzzle is just as enjoyable as sinking a shovel on a target

I think I enjoy the researching as much as the digging... unbelievable how much I found out I didn't know about how people lived back then until I started this hobby.

I hear ya Doc. It can get frustrating, but I know folks didn't trust banks back then and they had a stash "cache" somewhere on the property. Take a look at something they called post hole banks. The concept is simple, just locate the fencepost close to the house and in view of a window so it can be watched( just not a load bearing corner post). Then they would loosen the post and place a jar/can in the hole and put the post back in place. There was a product that could be bought which was simply a threaded pipe with caps on both ends. I suppose most folks just used jars. Another reason for using post hole banks was so nobody would see the fresh dug dirt whenever a deposit/withdrawl was made. The lady of the house probably had a cache in the garden behind the house in plain view from a kitchen window where fresh dug dirt was not out of the ordinary.

Don't give up Doc! There is still good stuff out there!

• Like 1

LOL come with me sometime... once you know some of the secrets.. you'll start finding stuff... looks like maybe you should start discriminating out the iron with your detector..LOL

Just don't get carried away with the discrimination/notch or you'll never find gold. In virgin sites I like to dig everything and methodically search the area which I divide up into 4 sectors.

Just don't get carried away with the discrimination/notch or you'll never find gold. In virgin sites I like to dig everything and methodically search the area which I divide up into 4 sectors.

I agree... you need to get all the garbage out of the ground anyway to start finding the good stuff... for the new guys it is important to spend time learning and getting to know your detector... that's why I like my Garrett detectors.. they allow me to set up my detector and discriminate without eliminating things like gold which fall lower on the number scale than other precious metals... but you are right about too much discrimination.. especially early on when you should dig everything so that you can learn your detector...

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished the last acre and a half fall food plot planted with trophy oats/winter peas on 1 acre in one spot, and deer radish/brassica on a different 1/2 acre. Over the years I have cultivated many plots. I have also in the last few years started an interest in arrowhead and relic hunting during my field time. I have found a few nice pieces like a full spear head ( I think) and half of a clay pipe broke at the stem. My question is this, during the plowing of the dirt I have found countless black camp fire looking spots. Some are just black dirt, other will actually have charcoal in it. Does anyone have more info about these spots? This last plant area had 8+ of these burn spots. Some where small 2 foot around and one was 4-5 feet around. I looked for treasures, but didn't find anything yet. Ideas?

I just finished the last acre and a half fall food plot planted with trophy oats/winter peas on 1 acre in one spot, and deer radish/brassica on a different 1/2 acre. Over the years I have cultivated many plots. I have also in the last few years started an interest in arrowhead and relic hunting during my field time. I have found a few nice pieces like a full spear head ( I think) and half of a clay pipe broke at the stem. My question is this, during the plowing of the dirt I have found countless black camp fire looking spots. Some are just black dirt, other will actually have charcoal in it. Does anyone have more info about these spots? This last plant area had 8+ of these burn spots. Some where small 2 foot around and one was 4-5 feet around. I looked for treasures, but didn't find anything yet. Ideas?

Not a lot of those clay pipes are found  intact. It was common practice back then to snap off a small length of the stem when giving the pipe to others to smoke. Happened a lot in taverns where you could buy a smoke of a pipe and they would snap off the stem, fill it and you smoked it.