I'm so sick right now...

YFKI1983

I have had a couple of catastrophic failures like that before, and each time, I had limbs and bow parts flying past my head. I swear that a path of a couple of inches different by all that stuff could have resulted in fatal or life-changing consequences. I recall back in the late 60s, that loud "whirring" sound as a very heavy solid epoxy bow limb from an old Bear Whitetail flew past my ear. Pretty scary stuff!

So, as bad as you feel right now, and as expensive as it might get, be thankful that you survived it without serious personal injury.

Makes me love my recurve even more. I would personally hate to draw a compound with a arrow in it and accidentally loose the arrow without aiming it. depending on where you shoot (indoor / outdoor) I would think it would be better to not always use an arrow

An accidental dryfire can be just as devastating on a recurve or longbow as a compound. Delamination or lamination splits and splinters are often the result. And there is no putting those back together unless it is a take-down.

As far as the havoc an arrow can cause when accidentally released, there is no doubt things can go seriously wrong generally resulting in a wrecked or lost arrow. I will say that while I have had mis-triggers while using releases, I can't recall ever having that happen when I was using my fingers for release.

But anyway, in this particular case, there was no arrow in the bow, and the cost could have been (and often is) the bow and not just an arrow.

I've trained myself to always draw with my trigger finger behind the trigger, actually pushing the trigger forward. Having shot with my fingers for many, many years, I found it almost impossible to retrain my brain to keep my finger from occasionally putting pressure on the trigger of a mechanical release during the draw. Even the release-to-fire setup didn't work for me, but I haven't had an inadvertent release since. It acts like a safety: my finger doesn't move to the 'active' position 'til I'm ready to shoot. One less thing to think about when the adrenaline is going.

• Like 2

I've trained myself to always draw with my trigger finger behind the trigger, actually pushing the trigger forward. Having shot with my fingers for many, many years, I found it almost impossible to retrain my brain to keep my finger from occasionally putting pressure on the trigger of a mechanical release during the draw. Even the release-to-fire setup didn't work for me, but I haven't had an inadvertent release since. It acts like a safety: my finger doesn't move to the 'active' position 'til I'm ready to shoot. One less thing to think about when the adrenaline is going.

I usually do that. Have to be more careful, obviously. I'm not going to say I'm glad it happened but it's definitely a good lesson learned. When I brought the bow in it was still intact and my bow guy took it from me right away and said it's a tiny crack in a rivet away from exploding, and that the wheel could have flown off and killed someone.

I honestly didn't know it could hurt someone like that so I'll be treating my bow the same type of safety I treat a gun from now on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw one at the guy's shop that set up my bow. it was a release that didn't release. it hooked in like a fishinghook and the trigger didn't operate anything, After seeing this I think I might have to order one.

Glad it turned out ok for you.

A safety release...every bow shop worth a lick uses one.

That's what I do too. I've never had a dry fire but I'm paranoid about having an accident.

• 3 weeks later...

I do the same . It prevents you from pulling the trigger prematurely . I shudder when I see someone in a Bow Shop or DICKs pull back on a bowstring and i'm thinking , "don't let go" .

• Like 1