Ordering ammo

Borngeechee

It sounds like the Safe Act is working exactly as it was intended. It has become a major frustration for gun owners. Just yet another addition to a long list of legal frustrations designed to drive the guns out of the hands of law abiding citizens. If things don't turn out well in this next election, look for that list of frustrations to continue to grow substantially.

• Like 3

There is already a Safe Act II written and just waiting for the right moment to be introduced and passed. All gun owners need to get out and vote, everyone that keeps saying the Safe Act does not effect me, just wait it will and it will be too late. We need to start voting out all the politicians that voted this crappy law and vote them out. When the back ground check goes in to effect, that state will keep a record of every type of ammo you buy. I am sure there is a reason for this in the near future.

• Like 1

I may have missed this in another thread but what about ordering 777 pellets, 209 primers and ml sabots. I have a $25 gc to Bass Pro from signing up for NWTF membership and need some supplies. I looked at their online and it said won't ship to NY . Just want to make sure I'm interprating it correctly .

There are some online retailers who will still ship ammo to a NY address (not NYC). From what I have read, it is not illegal - especially since the "database" part of safe has not been implemented yet. YMMV.

Which ones do you know because I've checked all the ones that I know of and none would do it?

The bigger on-line suppliers are staying ahead of the curve w/ regard to NYS, and for the most part they're not shipping ammo to non-FFL's at this time. None of them want to be caught with a backorder to fill after the mess that we're headed for comes to be. It's business. They don't need NYS to stay in business. They still have 44 or so.

When the background checks for ammo become the norm in New York State, has anyone heard or read if it would be against the law to buy ammo in another state and return to New York?

While I have done a bit of research on this issue, I am not a lawyer, judge, prosecutor, legislator or state trooper. Those are the people who decide the real answer.

There is nothing in the current law to prevent you purchasing ammo out of state and bringing it back to NY. The law only addresses sales inside NY.

From what I recall, there is also nothing in the law to specifically prohibit online sales from an out-of-state retailer shipping to you in NY. However, many retailers consider this a grey area and do not want to risk problems. Larger retailers all have a "presence" in NY and are thus bound by the NY law. Even thought the database provision isn't active, they want to play it safe and not be a high profile target of Albany. An arrest of "John Doe, law abiding citizen" is not a attractive as "stopping this evil mega-corporation from filling our streets with dangerous guns." The bigger you are, the better a target you represent.

The above is all theory. In practice, no one knows what will happen.

I have heard "stories" - from unreliable sources - that police will be targeting vehicles with NY plates returning from places like PA where there is a Cabela's on the way back. I find this highly unlikely, and don't know what "charge" could be used. Still, some people are saying they "heard" this. Lots' of crazy rumors floating around and who knows what will happen.

Coming back with a brick of .22? They might try, but can't do anything. Decided to stock up and buy a few cases of something? They might accuse you of being a non-licensed dealer looking to avoid the database system. Truth doesn't matter - they control the media and can spin the story to make you look like Al Capone.

I think November will have a big effect on all this. If Cuomo and the rest of the incumbents who supported the safe act all win and don't fee threatened by the election results, we will see "improved" legislation and heavy handed enforcement. New legislation could easily clear up any "buy out of state" question for the worse. If people get voted out and/or feel that safe support endangers their political career, things might cool down for a while. 

All IMO. YMMV. Non-professional opinion on closed course. Do not attempt at home. Etc.

I just erased everything I was going to post re: the ammo sales provision of the safe act, and basically pointing out what it does not address that could be used as loopholes.

After proofreading the post I realized it was probably going to help the idiots in Albany at least as much as the folks here.

This is an open website folks. Detailed information about what's wrong with the safe act needs to be held close to the vest, as they say. The people who wrote and passed the legislation generally have very little knowledge of the subject. Don't voluntarily educate them.

Best Regards,

Mark

• Like 1