Deer call... grunts and bleats

Borngeechee

i use them... theres a time and place for them just like anything else. depends on the time of year and the deer it self. last year i used the MAD hyper growl and did a grunt sequence into a triple wheeze blindly and called my Halloween 8 30 yards from my tree. i have also used the can and MAD bleet and called deer to my tree many many times. i have also used them and had not one deer respond. you don't want to call to the point it sounds un natural. if a deer hears that call, they can pin that sound down and remember where it came from in a good way and bad way. the good: you may call and have a deer remember where it came from and show up minutes later to investigate. the bad: you may call un naturally and have a deer avoid your area that day like the plague.

There's a time and place for them. I don't use them at all until things start heating up in November depending on the situation and that's if I even use one. If I do it's the can or a little grunting. A lot of times I think people do more harm then good by calling rather than letting things happen naturally, especially if it's to early or calling to much. I think it comes off unnatural to them. To each its own though, everyone's hunting spot is different. 

Do yourself a favor and buy a Vector Grunt tube. He's out of Missouri and his grunt tubes are pha-freaking-nominal.

Vince is a good guy and you'll get a high quality call that works. I've killed bucks directly as a result of the call, young ones, and mature ones. I've also had more close calls than I care to count with it.

I rarely pimp a product unless I am in belief it works. This one ranks right up there with the best hunting tool I have.

• Like 1

I use them. have only had a little success with grunt calls and a little more with doe bleats. In fact I have killed two bucks , and called in several more, by bleating myself…LOL!!…. Blaaahhh...

Edited by ants

I'm a call-o-holic!

It makes me feel more a part of the hunt by communicating with the deer instead of just waiting for them.

If I'm not making some kind of animal noise, I probably fell asleep on stand.

I remember one time I was lowering my bow and pack from my stand on a wet rope. As the rope slid through my wet jersey glove hand towards the ground it was making a long, drawn out, vibrating grunt sound. When my gear finally landed at the base of my tree, I turned around in my climber to start my decent and spotted a handsome buck sprinting in from behind me. He stopped and looked around for a while at 10yds, then slowly walked away as my bow laid on the ground at his feet.

• Like 1

Do yourself a favor and buy a Vector Grunt tube. He's out of Missouri and his grunt tubes are pha-freaking-nominal.

Vince is a good guy and you'll get a high quality call that works. I've killed bucks directly as a result of the call, young ones, and mature ones. I've also had more close calls than I care to count with it.

I rarely pimp a product unless I am in belief it works. This one ranks right up there with the best hunting tool I have.

Phade, did a little research on these grunt calls. They look awesome and sound amazing in the video. Sent him an email to get pricing and turn around time. Looks like a top notch product!

I've tried a bunch of grunts over the years.  I've been using the true talker for past several.  I think whether or not a buck comes in has more to do with that buck and his mood at the time than the call itself.  provided you do a decent job calling.

But the call definitely works often enough to justify carrying it.

Phade, did a little research on these grunt calls. They look awesome and sound amazing in the video. Sent him an email to get pricing and turn around time. Looks like a top notch product!

Theyre not super cheap but I gurantee they are worth it. They last too. Im on the original reeds from 2007! And hell replace the reeds and tune them for a couple bucks when you do get to that point.

Theyre not super cheap but I gurantee they are worth it. They last too. Im on the original reeds from 2007! And hell replace the reeds and tune them for a couple bucks when you do get to that point.

I think it's a fair price for all the work and time he puts into them though! Takes alot of talent. I talked with him last night and got lucky. He said normally there's a wait for his calls, but he had some he had gotten ahead on for the upcoming season and would have them ready in a week or so. What a great guy to talk with and a class act..... Can't wait to try it!!

I always carry a grunt tube.

If I have a buck that likes to sleep right up til dark, I'll bring the rattlers and arouse his curiosity with a sparring session. Just be ready because they'll come in looking and seemingly just appear out of nowhere. I've been caught off guard by a few light-footed bucks that came in to check out the fight.

I think it's a fair price for all the work and time he puts into them though! Takes alot of talent. I talked with him last night and got lucky. He said normally there's a wait for his calls, but he had some he had gotten ahead on for the upcoming season and would have them ready in a week or so. What a great guy to talk with and a class act..... Can't wait to try it!!

I just reserved mine. His work is awesome and he def puts time into making his calls. If you haven't seen the video of him making one, here it is.

http://vimeo.com/m/49253716

Edited by Borngeechee

I've tried them all, never had any luck, even tried rattling in Texas, where it all started. I just BAHHH with my voice if I want to stop a moving deer, THAT works every time.

I've had my best luck/success just blending in with the woods. I will say estrus SOMETIMES brings in small bucks during the rut, but that's a little off-topic.

I remember reading some where that if you know how to call well it works great but if you don't know how to call then it actually makes things worst. The deer catches on and know something isn't right. Also, if you make the wrong call at the wrong time, it also alerts the deer. Sort of like screaming "Merry Christmas" in the middle of summer. I never had much luck so this I'm no expert on the matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember reading some where that if you know how to call well it works great but if you don't know how to call then it actually makes things worst. The deer catches on and know something isn't right. Also, if you make the wrong call at the wrong time, it also alerts the deer. Sort of like screaming "Merry Christmas" in the middle of summer. I never had much luck so this I'm no expert on the matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea there are about 90 different deer vocalizations but maybe 10 that hunters use. I've been looking over tons of videos that lay out the core calls and all seem to agree on what they are. They seem pretty simple with minor practice but knowing me I'm going to be in my house sounding like a deer until November lol.

Supposedly, you can bring a doe in using a fawn distress call.  Motherly instincts will kick in.  But this would only work during the early season.  During the rut, they ignore it and during the late season there shouldn't be any fawns that young anyway.  Not knowing any better, I used a fawn distress call on my FoxPro Spitfire at the end of regular season one year and 2 does came crashing in.  Go figure. 

Fawn calls are effective throughout the season.

I actually prefer the "lil can" call over the larger one and super sized version. Can calls shouldn't be as drawn out as they are, and the lil can is shorter and mimics a younger doe, and flipping it is all you need to do. Much easier than trying to staccato the larger cans.

• 2 weeks later...

post-5206-14117492007894_thumb.jpg Just got mine today
  • Like 1