Anyone brew their own beer or make wine?

burmjohn

bought a device at the brewing store...take a reading at start.....when you think it is done ..... and then a few day later. if the fermenting is complete the specific gravity of the cider doesn't change anymore. original reading - final reading x 131 = ABV content. came up a little higher than I expected but still tastes great. 5 gallons of cider...5 pounds of white cane sugar, 5 pounds of dark brown sugar, one package of champagne yeast. Pretty easy really...no cooking like with beer.

I home brewed for a number of years. I love the process and the different beers you can brew. I got out of it due to time limitations. It is a bit time consuming- 2-3 evenings a batch. (the initial boil, washing bottles, siphoning and bottling, then capping). If you have a freind to do it with, then it is much more fun. (or simply...have more spare time than me). It is a great hobby though.

It takes 2-3 evenings to get a batch going?

BTW all this talk of beer, I stopped on the way home and picked up some micro brews :)

sorry john, i havnt gotten a chance to get those companies for you. BTW i did the same thing on sunday. i picked up 2 different ales from a long island brewery called blue point. love there beer

blue point is great you should try the beer rastafarye that they make it is fantastic. also for any of you that really like good local beers the brewery in peekskill is great they have about 8 beers that they make in house and a very extensive list of other micro brews. not to mention that the food is fantastic i had friend pork cutlet with spatzel and braised cabadge and it was amazing the best ive ever had and im a chef

blue point is great you should try the beer rastafarye that they make it is fantastic. also for any of you that really like good local beers the brewery in peekskill is great they have about 8 beers that they make in house and a very extensive list of other micro brews. not to mention that the food is fantastic i had friend pork cutlet with spatzel and braised cabadge and it was amazing the best ive ever had and im a chef

Ummmmmm....chef?...and we haven't seen you posting in the game recipe section?...come on...cough some up?...lol

• 2 weeks later...

I found a great new micro beer located in Green port called Green port Harbor.They brew a pumkin spice beer in the fall called Leaf pile,As well as several others.They sell their beer via kegs at beverage places through out the island,I go in with my glass growler,They fill it from the tap for $14.

John you should also buy a wart brewer and a wart chiller.

remember sanitation is key for brewing beer!

wart chillers are great for bringing the temp of the wart down faster, at a certain temp the brew becomes susceptible to spoilage.

and also watch out when brewing your wart on the stove, its messy if spilt and the wife will kill you... down the line buy something you can brew with outside and not on her stove lol

i havent done a batch in a few months, been kind of busy. dieing to get another batch going! also, if you are bottling your beer, start saving pop top bottles so you dont have to buy them!