Looking to build a hunting blind...

DeerSlayers

Hey guys I'm looking to build myself a hunting blunt. Building on a budget and want some ideas. Sorry if this is the wrong forum if so could someone please move it to the correct spot? Here is my plan so far...

Looking to build a 6X8 blind about 15 foot up on stilts and against a tree for wind support. I will be hunting with my girlfriend and a friend of ours so we figured a larger blind would have to do. I'm 6'3 185LBS and will possibly be using bow out of it. Front will be 6' tall and back 5' tall so snow and rain will fall off and not in our shooting lane. I plan on doing a door on the back wall with three windows in the front and one window on each side. Front windows will be 10"H X 16"W and will use single piece of glass that slides up with a string pulley system, side windows will be 10X20 and slide sideways either direction for easier shooting. It will be built out of scrap 2X4 and 2X6 base for structure all of which will come from pallets at my friends work... I will be using a heater and possibly sleeping in it every so often and might put a drop door with storage and/or a cooler shelf to be built into floor. What do you guys think? Any ideas or questions? I'm missing a few things I'm sure and will start a thread once it starts coming together

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like a fun project. I would suggest using pressure treated lumber though, so you can get as many years of safe use out of it as possible.

Also put a ton of thought into the location. Be mindful of prevailing wind direction, and distances to likely trails and deer movement. Pick a good permanent "pinch point" that is not likely to be temporary. I would do a preliminary trail cam study of the area first before final location selection.

• Like 1

I was going to build one also after I added up the price of the lumber ( pressure treated ) required I just went out and bought a ground blind.

If you can get the wood for free that's a plus and you can and should coat it with some sort of wood presertive.

There were many stands and platforms on my property when I bought it and all were made out of plain lumber and nailed up,99 % of them are in pieces hanging fro the tree trunks.

• Like 1

how to make this short?

Never skimp on the tower it's self..PT posts and at least 2x8 side rails and PT decking with PT 2x4 floor joist. Now for the building it's self, I use 2x2...2x4's cut length wise...your not sitting on it so weight baring isn't an issue there..saves money ....not PT except bottom rails. I have made all mine from scraps...ask construction sites for scrape wood ...they have lots that gets tossed. I made one single person blind from a crate card board and tarp...been hunting from it for 5 yrs now ...it has a cloth office chair in it that has never gotten wet. one I made using construction scraps and stuff I had around the house and the doors are made from cardboard that I covered in contact shelf liner that's 3or 4 yrs old now the windows plexi glass...some scrap some very thin that I put tinting on... one blind has an oriental carpet, 2 chairs, a heater and cot...I insulated the walls with folded up card board and lined  them with old luan and vinyl  covered card board.

The cross braises and lower leg rails  for the tower it's self can be cut from your land ...basswood,ash, or blk locust...Locust was the preferred fence post wood...basswood was used to make old time ladders and ash was used to make ladder rungs...just de-bark and drill the holes for nails or screws ...apply linseed the following year and then every few years... I am now in the process of making 2 more card board blinds 5x6...the card board will be painted with a wht acrylic roofing rubber paint tinted light green water weather proof..lasts longer than on a roof for it's on a vertical surface under over hangs. ...I'll then camo paint trees on it..those windows will be tinted vinyl stretched and stapled to frames I make..cheaper than plexi...flip up windows  because they block rain and blowing snow  and if I want to block the wind while they are open I have a inside slide up up cover.

Ok to the guys that have seen these ...sorry for the repeat...to guys that are looking for ideas...here are some pics...by the way..THIS IS NOT a BRAG...but if you don't know.... I'm a middle aged woman and all this work was done by just me...so anyone can do these

• Like 2

I built my tower stand a few years ago, using Elevator brackets.  http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/Elevators-4-Pk.-4X4-Double-8-Brackets/0000000006518?utm_source=googleps&utm_medium=shopping%2Bsearch&utm_campaign=google%2Bproduct%20search&gslfah&gclid=CjwKEAjwns6hBRDTpb_jkbTv1UYSJACBhberXGsBTtZuDtSURDiVuBpFaxGxLIELxkkdHEaEbBJCtxoC82jw_wcB   Made it easier for someone like myself that has no carpentry skills! LOL

Always wanted to enclose mine, but never did. I just secure a pop up blind on top every year before hunting season. Works great, especially for taking kids along, which is why I built mine.

TowerStand.jpg

Edited by Cabin Fever
  • Like 2

Friends have built 2 now . Wood burning stove, carpeting, great windows etc. He, his young son, daughter and I hunted once from up in one of them . He and I manned the windows as the kids played Uno and ate snacks,lol. We eventually cooked up lunch on the stove via cast iron. Sorta funny hunting with slippers he supplied.  Had to explain to daughter that "this isn't how daddy usually hunts". There's times when I'll be freezing in my climber and he'll text me a pic of them sitting up there with short sleeves. His 2 "tower of power" have a trap door entrance. One has been up for as long as I can remember and no signs of rot or collapse. 

Number one rule : make sure your muzzle is completely outside the window before touching one off ! (and no this isn't by ill experience)

Have fun with it. Wish I had property and skills to put one up on.

• Like 2

I got a good location, my two man stand is currently there, nice heavy game trail(seen roughly 10 deer each day opening weekend but 45-50 yards without a clear shot) and a few rubs but I'm not gonna go with pressure treated because it's a budget build and I'm probably gonna upgrade in a few years but it's all kiln dried wood and I'm gonna roof it and paint it and thinking about going with some wood from the Amish up there because I can get 8X8 pieces 10-15 feet long for stilts. I got some going together already I'll post pics of it all when I get closer

This is what I personally found the first bow season I had mine up....I left the hang ons and ladder stands I had in the area where they were....around 15-30 yrds from the blind...I hunted out of them during bow on nice days...letting me shoot doe....because they would come in avoiding the blind and stand broad side watching it....They turned out to be perfect decoys.......

how to make this short?

Never skimp on the tower it's self..PT posts and at least 2x8 side rails and PT decking with PT 2x4 floor joist. Now for the building it's self, I use 2x2...2x4's cut length wise...your not sitting on it so weight baring isn't an issue there..saves money ....not PT except bottom rails. I have made all mine from scraps...ask construction sites for scrape wood ...they have lots that gets tossed. I made one single person blind from a crate card board and tarp...been hunting from it for 5 yrs now ...it has a cloth office chair in it that has never gotten wet. one I made using construction scraps and stuff I had around the house and the doors are made from cardboard that I covered in contact shelf liner that's 3or 4 yrs old now the windows plexi glass...some scrap some very thin that I put tinting on... one blind has an oriental carpet, 2 chairs, a heater and cot...I insulated the walls with folded up card board and lined  them with old luan and vinyl  covered card board.

The cross braises and lower leg rails  for the tower it's self can be cut from your land ...basswood,ash, or blk locust...Locust was the preferred fence post wood...basswood was used to make old time ladders and ash was used to make ladder rungs...just de-bark and drill the holes for nails or screws ...apply linseed the following year and then every few years... I am now in the process of making 2 more card board blinds 5x6...the card board will be painted with a wht acrylic roofing rubber paint tinted light green water weather proof..lasts longer than on a roof for it's on a vertical surface under over hangs. ...I'll then camo paint trees on it..those windows will be tinted vinyl stretched and stapled to frames I make..cheaper than plexi...flip up windows  because they block rain and blowing snow  and if I want to block the wind while they are open I have a inside slide up up cover.

Ok to the guys that have seen these ...sorry for the repeat...to guys that are looking for ideas...here are some pics...by the way..THIS IS NOT a BRAG...but if you don't know.... I'm a middle aged woman and all this work was done by just me...so anyone can do these

Amazing. I would have figured you'd make one this year with a flush toilet, that had pipes running several hundred yards back to your septic tank by your house! LOL  Maybe next year?

Edited by steve863

Now that you mentioned it...construction on it has had a hold put on it...But both short ends are made and one is actually up...side stabilizer rails are cut and drilled. A job sight had left over pieces of rubber roofing material the subcontractor gave me...so the roof will have that on it...no leaks and sound proofing to boot...have a piece for the floor as well for the office chair to roll on ....I did though, managed to build a nice tree stand with a comfy seat 12ft high for rifle season...after it was done the deer went in and made a huge bedding area in the grass I decided to leave uncut a mere 30 yrds infront of it... :cheese:

Ok so I got some progress done here is some of the work...

Here is the start to the floor...

4ed02f6e206dff338c7320b2db5ecb86.jpg

39d48d1d13b37f33e405c6b041c85d3e.jpg

Front wall main frame..

8e87778a22ae0490e207ccb744fd463b.jpg

All walls main framed.. And my buddy giving the ok on shooting height

57311daf42240705fe28f20713cf3b18.jpg

Shooting rails up, I used 2x6s so you have a small shelf if needed... Also got some roof framing done...

8238ce34631c6f067f7335ce23bbc33b.jpg

9561dfed16f09cf70bef6c2e93e04810.jpg

Oh and did I mention it is Made to come apart with 24 screws like a puzzle??

This is what I did to clear room in the garage to do some automotive side jobs...

4f5a1fae533da06fbff8249200d370c0.jpg

ed7b50fdafb09302f1310bf652d892e2.jpg

I got part of the front wall plywooded as you can see in the pics of them stacked up and part of a window frame done but didn't get any pics. I just need 2 more 8 foot 2x4s and I'll be able to almost complete it. Opinions please

I have a hunting tower/ 2nd home, and I'd highly suggest more than 24 screws holding it together, maybe carriage bolts or something similar but you mentioned screws so.... Anyway I would frame the walls just as you would your home with 2x4s, I like the 2x6 for shelf space, And the only thing that needs to be pressure treated is anything that's in contact with the ground, so your 4x4s on the base. If It were me I would flip those rafters and add 1 or 2 more, I'm guessing you ran them that way for more head clearance but either way you'd have the same clearance? Another thing idk how you plan to get it in the air, but I would make the floor piece a permanent fixture of the base and bolt the walls to that, the base, once you get it set where you want in the field. As for windows I have plexi glass on hinges and the windows drop down, and are held up by a simple wood block that turns on a nail. But bungee cords hooked on nails work even better! SILENT. And on that note I'd suggest your floor and eveything under your feet is screwed to the hilt and even glued definitely don't want a squeaky floor!! Or window hinges!!

A little about my own hut, 6' to the floor, 6.5' tapered to 5.5' for ceiling height, used 4x4 pressure treated beams 12.5' tall in the front and 11.5' in the back, built on a skid so my hut is mobile! Used bat and board for the walls and has a tin roof, made my own stringers and stairs for easy access and rear of the hut has the door put carpet inside to dampen noise and the computer chair I use. My hut is also anchored down with steel cabling in all 4 corners by eye bolts and 5' of rebar in the ground. Something else you'll want to think About. Heavy duty tie straps work just as well instead of buying cable. That was expensive. IMO if your going to put in the effort to take on such a task you might as well do it right and the way you want it and built to last. Oughta see many many years out of my hut and I can't say enough how awesome it is to get out if the rain and cold!!