Big Scope or not?

I found myself in a conversation with a friend who has a Marlin 336 in .35 Rem and wants to put a scope on it.  I was asked my opinion and I said I think it would be best to install a variable, but not a big one.  I suggested a 1.5-5x20mm, preferably a Leupold which is exactly what I have on a Ruger Mini 30.

He seemed to think that wasn't enough and thought a 3-9x40mm would be best.

Considering the advantages and disadvantages of each choice, which one do you guys think is better?

• Like 1

Not to say you're wrong but 3x9 is the classic scope from the old days for that and most deer rifles. That's what was recommended to me when I started in 1972 for my Marlin 35. I still have a 3x9 on my Marlin 30-30 but I'm sure your idea would have worked fine.

I like a 3-9x40 on my high powered deer rifles that can reach out to 500 yards, but the .35 Rem is a woods rifle that struggles to reach 200 yards.  It's more likely to be used on a moving animal where a larger field of view is nice to have and the weight and size of a big scope seems to turn a light lever action carbine into an awkward instrument. 

I have also experienced hunting buddies lose deer when they jumped one at very close range and found their scope was left on 9X the last time they looked through it and forgot to turn it down.  All they could see in it was hair, with no idea what part of the deer the crosshair was on, if they could find the deer in the scope at all.

This is just my thinking on the big scopes.  I think it best to use the minimum power required to make the rifle effective for the job that will be asked of it.  Anything more than needed just seems to be a disadvantage.

If he was only going to use it from a stand where most shots were 50 yards or more, I would think he would be OK, but he only wants it because his eyes now need it and he likes to still hunt with it.  That is why I think he won't be happy with it when he uses it in the woods while hunting.

BTW, he also has a nice bolt action Ruger M77 .308 with a 3-9x40mm on it for open area hunting.

• Like 1

I have a bunch of deer rifles with variety of scope magnifications. My .35 Marlin has a straight 4X on it with a duplex reticule. The  scope has been on it for 40 years and I am happy with it so far. I'll report back after the next 40 if my opinion changes. But there is nothing wrong with a 3x9, if its kept at a low magnification and the 40 mm objective will generally have better light gathering power for them shots at the end of legal shooting hours.

• Like 1

If you have a shop close by with a fair amount of scopes, i would visit and see what looks best.

With the availability of 30mm or bigger tubes and great glass, you can have more magnification with a wide FOV and better light gathering capabilities than the older 1" tubed scopes.

When I compare the LPVO's I have with my old scopes, the difference is stunning, even with the cheaper brands.

SJC

• Like 2

I try my best to match my scopes to the gun and cartridge it is chambered in and also to the game being hunted along with the terrain-habitat the hunts take place.

These days my Deer hunting is done in big woods and shot distances that are what I would call short, under 100 yards most times. I like trying and shooting different calibers and rifle-handgun types, all of the ones I own with a good bullet and proper shot placement will get the job done.

Hardly any stand hunting for me, I am on the move and like fast handling, light weight, shorter length rifles. The scopes on most of my woods Deer guns are also compact light weight of low power with large fields of view, straight 2.5X, 3X, and 1x4 and 1x5 variables.

I do have large high powered scopes but they reside on varmint and target rifles for the most part, some of my rimfire rifles I use for Squirrels have some high powered scopes. A squirrel peeking around a tree trunk just exposing it's head makes for some precession shooting so some high power comes in handy for those kinds of shots.

It is all about how you hunt, what you like and have confidence in to make the shot.

Al

• Like 2