Fawn mortality

First-light

On 7/12/2023 at 7:10 AM, First-light said:

So yesterday while taking the dogs out a hawk swooped into my corn field and got a rabbit. It squealed for about 10 seconds really bad then nothing. I didn't think twice about getting a gun and shooting the hawk. Now if a yote had a deer in my yard I would run for the shot gun. There is no difference except the value of the deer to each of us. 

Wow. Did I read this right? You are equating a hawk to a coyote and a rabbit to a deer? Wrong on both sides; but illegal and criminal in the case of shooting a hawk.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Untwisted Pretzel logic said:

Wow. Did I read this right? You are equating a hawk to a coyote and a rabbit to a deer? Wrong on both sides; but illegal and criminal in the case of shooting a hawk.

Yes I am. Just making a point. 

19 hours ago, Doc said:

So, other than size, what are the distinguishing features that differentiate a wolf from a coyote? I can see where a costly mistake could be made, especially from a distance.

Most wolves are double the size of a coyote, they move, act and sound differently too.

Wolves don't like populated areas and unless they can't find food to eat, stick to remote areas and deep woods.

Coyote have been found in city limit's and thrive in suburban areas.

They both look the same in a thermal scope.

SJC

Edited by Shoots100
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, First-light said:

Yes I am. Just making a point. 

You didn't make any point. O.K. - at best you show how little you know and if true, you killed a hawk, which is criminal.

Deer and rabbits are nowhere near similar. Deer reproduce one per year and have one or two offspring.  Rabbits once a month and dozens each time.

Legal season to hunt coyotes. Hawks are protected and not something anyone should even begin to consider harming.

So you are wrong on each side of your equation.  Please stop;because if your story is true, you have dug a deep enough hole for yourself already.

Edited by Untwisted Pretzel logic
Misspelled

2 hours ago, Untwisted Pretzel logic said:

You didn't make any point. O.K. - at best you show how little you know and if true, you killed a hawk, which is criminal.

Deer and rabbits are nowhere near similar. Deer reproduce one per year and have one or two offspring.  Rabbits once a month and dozens each time.

Legal season to hunt coyotes. Hawks are protected and not something anyone should even begin to consider harming.

So you are wrong on each side of your equation.  Please stop;because if your story is true, you have dug a deep enough hole for yourself already.

I see where you read my story wrong. I didn't think twice about getting the gun. I get what you thought, but I meant I paid it no mind. Maybe my bad choice of words. I see that. Yes rabbits produce more offspring but also have much more predators. My point is a life is a life weather a deer, bear or rabbit. We value deer more becuuse they are a part of our favorite sport deer hunting. Calm down Jr. I'm not going to get into a pissing match with you, my opinion. 

Edited by First-light
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, First-light said:

Calm down Jr. I'm not going to get into a pissing match with you, my opinion. 

OK I get what you meant to say now. Thanks for the explanation. Also, thanks for the laugh - calling me Jr.  and then saying you don't want a pissing match.

I'll let it go, as you are probably a nice guy and things get misconstrued in writing. Please have a good day. I'll let you or anyone else have the last word(s), as I'm done on this topic.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, First-light said:

I see where you read my story wrong. I didn't think twice about getting the gun. I get what you thought, but I meant I paid it no mind. Maybe my bad choice of words. I see that. Yes rabbits produce more offspring but also have much more predators. My point is a life is a life weather a deer, bear or rabbit. We value deer more becuuse they are a part of our favorite sport deer hunting. Calm down Jr. I'm not going to get into a pissing match with you, my opinion. 

I call that the …Bambi Effect. Just like most do not have a problem with shooting stocked birds or fish or kill a few pigs or something behind wire…Until the word Whitetail’s comes into the equation. Strange to say the least. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Doc said:

LOL......I wonder if a trapper caught a wolf by mistake, how would he release it?

You ever see the you tube videos. Sheet of plywood with a notch in it that goes over the animals leg. Protects the guy releasing it pretty cool. 

• Like 1

On 7/13/2023 at 2:05 PM, Untwisted Pretzel logic said:

OK I get what you meant to say now. Thanks for the explanation. Also, thanks for the laugh - calling me Jr.  and then saying you don't want a pissing match.

I'll let it go, as you are probably a nice guy and things get misconstrued in writing. Please have a good day. I'll let you or anyone else have the last word(s), as I'm done on this topic.

Last word.........you have a good sense of humor and I enjoy your posts. Enjoy!!

• Like 1