Live From The Woods 2023-2024 Edition

landtracdeerhunter

I did a walk about 2pm. Walked my lease property. Two freshly opened scrapes and more rubs you can count. Crossed the seasonal road. There is an area that had a microburst years ago. All the trees came down and lay horizontal to the road. I can gaurentee a deer comes out of there every time I walk it down. Its a pain but pays off. This year I'm tagged out for bucks. don't you know it about 1 minute in I see a real nice buck get up from the middle of the blow downs. He headed west real quick. Even if I had a tag no shot. I was cool to see, I have cameras out so maybe he will be on one. 

• Like 3

Hey folks.  Let me show you this rub from about a week ago.  In bad weather the deer often go bed in my hemlocks.  

At first I thought it was blood, where a deer slammed up against the tree after being shot. But, when I put my flashlight right up to it I could see it was the color of the bark below the surface and had been rubbed.  It looks like brow tines or the base of the skull, as you can see where the other points ticked the bark off to the left side of the rub area.  

I have never seen a tree this large rubbed by a deer anywhere. Judging from the impressions in the bark it must have some real width. 

A0B5DEFC-7F49-4604-8CA3-1906239C2C07.jpeg

21E7780B-1B4B-4CA1-BD85-E3504E2E7075.jpeg

Edited by New York Hillbilly
  • Like 3

Did a little walk at 3:00 did not cut one track. Ended up by my corn field. About 4:45 a Doe comes out and walks into the field. She turns and walks away and now is at 80 yards or so. Turns broadside and I let it rip. Took off did a big circle and went back where she came from.......unscathed! Oh well That's pretty much it for me. I will hunt the Holiday hunt later in the week. My neighbor has a Grand daughter that is dying to shoot her first deer. We will put on some mini drives for her. 

• Like 3