NYS pistol laws

Doc

The only requirement I have heard was you have to list it on your pistol permit to hunt with it and then only single shot 45 or 50 cal. I believe CVA makes an inline that is legal to hunt with. I don't think you could carry it loaded without a permit and having it listed but that's just my guess. They have changed the law recently to hassle law abiding people and accomplish zero to hurt their protected class, you know felons.

• Like 1

Back when I worked in the gun buying and selling business one could buy a black powder handgun without a permit. It could be done because of museums and gun collectors that owned these guns never have any intention of loading and firing them, also there was no records of any such weapons being used for holdups or shootings.

Actually firing and using one was a whole different matter, if there was any intention of firing the gun or using it for hunting it had to be on a permit, you could not possess the firearm along with caps, balls-bullets and powder.

That was then, what we have today I do not know for sure, especially with this Governor we have now.

Al

On 12/26/2023 at 11:55 AM, airedale said:

Back when I worked in the gun buying and selling business one could buy a black powder handgun without a permit. It could be done because of museums and gun collectors that owned these guns never have any intention of loading and firing them, also there was no records of any such weapons being used for holdups or shootings.

Actually firing and using one was a whole different matter, if there was any intention of firing the gun or using it for hunting it had to be on a permit, you could not possess the firearm along with caps, balls-bullets and powder.

That was then, what we have today I do not know for sure, especially with this Governor we have now.

Al

OK. Today I went to a gun shop and asked this question. He said that no permit is required as long as you don't have the components to make it go BANG! The black powder pistol is not considered to actually be a firearm until all the components are together to make it fire (as in hunting or target shooting). The guns that I am talking about are commemorative pistols that are in a locked in a fancy wood box with a glass window in the cover for viewing, and have never been fired, and likely will never be fired. So there should be no permitting requirements.

While trying to find out about this, I went through a lot of NYS gun laws. I now understand what you pistol owners are complaining about. They have pistol ownership tied up in knots that make it likely that anyone who owns a pistol is likely breaking one law or another. 

• Like 1

And if you have any powder for reloading and any bullets in the caliber those commemorative pistols are bored for, you can bet the state will assume you are guilty until you go to court and prove your innocence at your expense.  BTW, if you are charged, the state will confiscate EVERYTHING firearm related you own.

The idea is to intimidate people and make them fear doing anything the state doesn't like, even if it's legal.

Watts2.jpg

• Like 1