Cabin Makeover.

Got cabin fever. I love my place and is 100% pine shiplap. After living here a year and a half I need a change. 

I thought about it for a while and got a lot of ideas from friends. Well I'm painting the walls and moldings. I know I can never go back! 

Ceilings and a few accent walls will stay natural. Walls are white washed molding black. I'm totally fine with you being honest. I'm in the middle of doing the Den. Window treatements will be wood blinds, not sure on color. Here are a few work in progress pictures. 

IMG_4985.jpeg

IMG_4989.jpeg

IMG_4990.jpeg

IMG_4991.jpeg

• Like 5

It just depends on personal taste. Remember that everyone's input is just that. 

Now I'll give you mine,LOL. I don't like the yellow looking varnish on the natural wood. I like the wood to stand out with no gloss look to it. I would never ever paint that wood, unless you like the look of horizonal painted Wayne's coating. Painting that wood would be a sin. Don't do it!  Change the trim appearance.

• Like 2

So, is that a hunting cabin, or your main residence, or both? To me it makes a difference. If it is a camp, I am a big fan of wood interiors. If it is a general residence in a residential setting, I don't have a huge bias. But, as has been stated, it is all up to your personal taste, and it sounds like you have made up your mind, and you know what you like.

3 hours ago, Doc said:

So, is that a hunting cabin, or your main residence, or both? To me it makes a difference. If it is a camp, I am a big fan of wood interiors. If it is a general residence in a residential setting, I don't have a huge bias. But, as has been stated, it is all up to your personal taste, and it sounds like you have made up your mind, and you know what you like.

Main residence. Aways loved the natural wood but needed a change. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, landtracdeerhunter said:

It just depends on personal taste. Remember that everyone's input is just that. 

Now I'll give you mine,LOL. I don't like the yellow looking varnish on the natural wood. I like the wood to stand out with no gloss look to it. I would never ever paint that wood, unless you like the look of horizonal painted Wayne's coating. Painting that wood would be a sin. Don't do it!  Change the trim appearance.

Well I agree on the varnish thing. 15 years ago I didn't know oil base yellows wood. Then again did they have water base varnish then? I'm sticking to my guns! I love the comments all of them and appreciate it!

I like the white look over the dated yellowed appearance.

Black can be tough to look smooth without lap marks that show in various light angles.

Try adding Floetrol or M 1 to paint and it will level out and give you more working time to cover the flats. Dont treat the whole can, use a paint cup and make a batch. Another tip is to do flats with a 4” foam roller lightly filled and roll on and then brush out after cutting edges. Faster to get paint on and easier then constantly dipping brush and get a consistent appearance.

• Like 1

It's really a tough call. Personally I love the black trim but I do not like the white wash of the wood. I am dealing or should I say not dealing with the same thing right now. My kitchen is wood flooring, walls and ceiling. It's to much wood and it really darkens the room. We really want to change it but don't want white wash and don't want to hassle with drywall right now so it continues to sit as is. 

• Like 2