List

firehunter48

So I am trying to put together a list of things a first time hunter should have for a new hunter we are mentoring. Of course I have quite a few things on it already but figured I would ask all of you for your must haves while hunting. Feel free to include the obvious as I may have overlooked them and had an alzheimers moment. Thanks in advance guys and gals

This may sound like an odd thing to carry, but Super Glue and Duct Tape. Both will help stop bleeding, and the tape could be used to secure a splint.

Was going to mention both of these! I have paracord bow sling and gun sling, waterproof matches! Cotton balls dipped in Vaseline.

My flashlight AND my headlamp use AAA batteries, so I throw a few if them in the bad also. Other things not already mentioned - if I'm using a tree stand screw in hooks to hang bow and bag, remember to toss in pull up rope.

Some people recommend a second release - not a bad idea.

2 Compass and maps, topo and satellite. 

GPS

Knife
Emergency blanket

First aid kit

TP in zip lock is a must as mentioned!  Bandana/paper towel

Drag rope

Tupperware bowl for sandwich, energy bar/snacks

Water, soda, energy drinks

dressing gloves

extra clothes, packable rain gear, socks, gloves, sweat shirt and pants in late season

Toe and or hand warmers if you get cold

Flashlights are a must with extra batteries and bulbs if you only have 2

Water proof matches and lighters, fire starters

Pens to fill out your tag

Extra ammo during rifle and release during bow

New hunters need some form of communication.  Phones are good if reception is good and batteries are charged.  2 way radios are great because you can use regular batteries, they last a long time but have issues if you are far away or have bad line of sight. 

Depending on the type of hunting depends on how well you need to be prepped.  Some experienced hunters and people who hunt close to roads, houses or in easy navigation areas do not need as much gear.  Those who venture into the unknown or go solo need to be better prepared. 

something to secure the sleeve on your hunting jacket if bow hunting to reduce the probability of hitting it with your string.  a cushion to sit on!!!  Hunting license is always useful. 

Yes, it has happened that I have headed out the door without my back tag (southern zone) which was still fastened to another warmer weather garment from the day before .... lol..