Hello to all!

FrankTheTank

Hi everyone! My name is Frank and today was my first day out as a NY hunter! Went to Draketown State Forrest today and had two doe sneak up on me! Pretty fun day out. A little edgy at first no knowing how many people were out but ran into a guy I saw in BSpa the day before at my sons football game! Im looking to head a little further up north but do not want to pass Lake George. If anyone has any tips on state lands to try let me know! Good luck to everyone this season!

Welcome.

There's Parcel 45 in Saratoga county. Pretty small though.

Not wanting to pass Lake George isn't too far up. There's a few state forests in your area, and it depends if you are willing to travel a little west. If so there's Pecks Lake, about 45 minutes from Ballston Spa outside of Gloversville. Just be careful, try and get the National Guard training schedule. The last think you want is to be sitting in there and have them open up with an exercise. LOL 

Here's a link to a list of the state forests, this way you can look at the list and decide how far you want to travel.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/34531.html

Again, welcome and good luck.

Thanks JustRob! I think I will check it out!

Lawdwaz, yes that is me. I got that buck believe it or not 3 hours into my VERY FIRST day EVER huting in PA 3 seasons ago. My brother in law has some land in PA about 20 minutes from Hancock.

I decided not to go to PA this year because work is keeping me busy and it is much cheaper to stay local!

We will see how it goes. So far one day out I had a couple doe walk right behind me so I must be doing something right!

Going out this Saturday with a friend to Lincoln Mountain State Forest.

If I come back empty, I will shoot for Pecks lake I think next!

Good luck to you all!

I think it might be called Peck Hill now. If you head in from RT 29, try and go in near the restaurant if you go in blind. There's a small pond back there and I always seen deer there in the AM. Haven't been there in years ( due to the NG lighting the woods up on me once, and a guy I used to hunt with I found sipping brandy and not hunting ).

Steer clear of the huge "blow-down" area. If you drop one in there, or it runs in there, it will take 5 people and two days to drag it out through all the debris. Unless you quarter it right on the spot.

• Like 1