doe to buck

akita1

a trail camera survey is best way and on public ground (non fenced hunting) the best you can strive for is about 3-1 . habitat is key as well as removing suffient number of does every year. 1-1 is perfect 2-1 is what most high fence try for. when ratios are closer you will lose bucks to fighting and broken antlers will become much more common.

10 to 1 seems high. I don't see many deer where I hunt (3N) but when I do it's a buck more than 50% of the time. This goes back many years now. I haven't shot a doe in 14 years, so not sure why I don't see many does. Seems to just be 1 with fawns each year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

tough to explain but it's almost impossible to have a ratio higher than 5:1.  if you think about it the numbers have to make huge jumps for every additional missed buck that's just a ridge over eating acorns or hunkered down with a single doe.  realistically you can get 3:1 and maybe even 2:1.  To do this you have to pass up pretty much all 1.5 and 2.5 year old bucks.  Also you've got to take 33-35% of your doe population each year.  Trail camera surveys are the way to track your ratio and population too like G-Man said.  the QDMA has some tools to help you do this.....

book that teaches you everything about trail cams and how to go about doing a trail cam survey....

http://www.qdma.com/shop/deer-cameras-the-science-of-scouting-by-qdma

use this form to calculate your ratio and other important info.....

http://www.qdma.com/uploads/pdf/QDMA-Survey-01.pdf

you really can't to expect to see the exact ratio when you're in a hunting situation.....the ratio may be pretty close to what it should be, but that doesn't mean for every 2 doe you see that the next deer should be a buck.

This is very true. Surveys are done before and after the season. Too many factors like hunting pressure and other stuff effect results during the season.

Trail camera method does not seem too accurate as many doe that you are counting could possibly be the same one your counting multiple times.

The method has been tweeked over time and tested by universities like Cornell. There's specifics to setting up your survey that account for this. For example it should be no less than 2 week long, cameras in certain locations per every 100 acres, minutes worth of time delay between pictures, tracking unique deer, etc. Edited by dbHunterNY