Pure Frustration

Steve D

What a frustrating experience. I bought a new semi-auto rimfire a few months ago and have had trouble finding ammunition for less than $60-$80 per box of 50.

After visiting some family in Buffalo I swung by the Cabela’s in Cheektowaga. They had some of the ammo I was looking for at a decent price so I picked up a couple of boxes.

First you have to complete a form, leave your purchase at the desk with the form along with your driver’s license. They in turn take the form and input the information into a computer.

After that, someone has to come and verify the information submitted by the first person before it gets submitted for a background check.

Of course, the State police site was extremely slow and crashed a couple of times while we were there. Spoke with a couple of people there while waiting and some of them had been waiting for over two hours for the background check to go through.

Over in the gun section a gentleman there had been waiting for close to five hours for his to go through. Another irate customer had waited for eight hours the day before only to come back to find out it still didn’t come back.

One of the clerks also told us if your driver’s license or other form of identification has so much as a crack in it, they are not supposed to accept it. He told me a about a guy that presented his driver’s license and pistol permit with cracks, they couldn’t accept is so he had to go back home and get a utility bill before they would even process his paper work.

All in all, we were there about 1 ½ hours. Not as bad as some.... but still aggravating.

This state police background check is for the birds:angry:

• Like 1