Pure Frustration

Steve D

What a frustrating experience. I bought a new semi-auto rimfire a few months ago and have had trouble finding ammunition for less than $60-$80 per box of 50.

After visiting some family in Buffalo I swung by the Cabela’s in Cheektowaga. They had some of the ammo I was looking for at a decent price so I picked up a couple of boxes.

First you have to complete a form, leave your purchase at the desk with the form along with your driver’s license. They in turn take the form and input the information into a computer.

After that, someone has to come and verify the information submitted by the first person before it gets submitted for a background check.

Of course, the State police site was extremely slow and crashed a couple of times while we were there. Spoke with a couple of people there while waiting and some of them had been waiting for over two hours for the background check to go through.

Over in the gun section a gentleman there had been waiting for close to five hours for his to go through. Another irate customer had waited for eight hours the day before only to come back to find out it still didn’t come back.

One of the clerks also told us if your driver’s license or other form of identification has so much as a crack in it, they are not supposed to accept it. He told me a about a guy that presented his driver’s license and pistol permit with cracks, they couldn’t accept is so he had to go back home and get a utility bill before they would even process his paper work.

All in all, we were there about 1 ½ hours. Not as bad as some.... but still aggravating.

This state police background check is for the birds:angry:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Steve D said:

What a frustrating experience. I bought a new semi-auto rimfire a few months ago and have had trouble finding ammunition for less than $60-$80 per box of 50.

After visiting some family in Buffalo I swung by the Cabela’s in Cheektowaga. They had some of the ammo I was looking for at a decent price so I picked up a couple of boxes.

First you have to complete a form, leave your purchase at the desk with the form along with your driver’s license. They in turn take the form and input the information into a computer.

After that, someone has to come and verify the information submitted by the first person before it gets submitted for a background check.

Of course, the State police site was extremely slow and crashed a couple of times while we were there. Spoke with a couple of people there while waiting and some of them had been waiting for over two hours for the background check to go through.

Over in the gun section a gentleman there had been waiting for close to five hours for his to go through. Another irate customer had waited for eight hours the day before only to come back to find out it still didn’t come back.

One of the clerks also told us if your driver’s license or other form of identification has so much as a crack in it, they are not supposed to accept it. He told me a about a guy that presented his driver’s license and pistol permit with cracks, they couldn’t accept is so he had to go back home and get a utility bill before they would even process his paper work.

All in all, we were there about 1 ½ hours. Not as bad as some.... but still aggravating.

This state police background check is for the birds:angry:

Last two times I bought ammo I had to wait 24 hrs. It's silly but a local shop no big deal. 

I went to a gun store up in g r he Northern zone whdd ed n we were visiting the in-laws during Labor Day weekend.  My brother in law, a retired state trooper, got his background check back in about 5 minutes for his ammo purchase.  We waited for around a half hour for mine and it did not come back in that time.

I only had (2) boxes of 12 ga slugs, and a box of 50 cal ML bullets and sleeves.  We had to go, so I left the two boxes of slugs there on shelf.  They let me walk out with just the ML bullets.  Hopefully, my background check comes back, by the next time I go up there during early ML week, (starts October 19). Otherwise, I’ll see if they will let me take an equivalent amount in dollars of ML bullets, and I’ll just but my other ammo on out of state road trips.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I have a lifetime supply of ammo for all my guns loaded up and ready to go. I don't like the tactics that NYS is conjuring up to frustrate and harass gun owners out of using our guns. So quite a while ago, I decided to insulate myself against their anti-gun activities. I knew that ammunition was their next target.

• Like 2

I have been harping here on what the Democrats strategy for ammo and firearms for years, ammo is in their sights, control it and you control firearms, they chip away little by little.

I was called a "fear monger!"

Al

12 hours ago, Cory said:

Take a ride just over to non-communist Pennsylvania. I went to Dunham’s a couple weeks ago in Bradford and they had every caliber you can imagine. A lots of sales on ammo as well.

Cory 

I have been to Pa, and called every gun shop in Pa along with Ohio, and most of them do not have it or only have a box on the shelf.

I did find some in other states but many will not ship and those that do are charging $40 per box of 50.

$40 per box + $20 shipping +$20 FFL Fee + $2.50 Background check comes to $82.50 + tax.

I spoke with a relative yesterday that said be bought some .20 gauge slugs at Walmart and it took a week & two days for them to call and say the background check was complete and he could come pick them up.

13 minutes ago, airedale said:

I have been harping here on what the Democrats strategy for ammo and firearms for years, ammo is in their sights, control it and you control firearms, they chip away little by little.

I was called a "fear monger!"

Al

Not by me.  I also saw it coming and had plenty of ammo and reloading supplies until the house fire destroyed it all.

It is just sad that the majority of gun owners won't stand up for their rights or even go out and vote.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, First-light said:

Last two times I bought ammo I had to wait 24 hrs. It's silly but a local shop no big deal. 

I think it should be a big deal. First I am against the background check for ammo.

But more importantly you could almost always get a background check in a few minutes at a gun shop. Now another step has been added to benefit the state of NY and to slow down the entire process.

I can just about imagine the addition work load for the State Police.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Steve D said:

I think it should be a big deal. First I am against the background check for ammo.

But more importantly you could almost always get a background check in a few minutes at a gun shop. Now another step has been added to benefit the state of NY and to slow down the entire process.

I can just about imagine the addition work load for the State Police.

Correct you are, it is a big deal.