Wild apple help

post-481-14156261591958_thumb.jpg

Ok so was clearing out a thicket out back and find a couple nice apple trees. They had a few apples but what do I need to do and when to make them turn into producers? The one pictures is 12 - 14 feet tall and as you can see growing straight up. How should I attack it? Thanks.

Good find. I would say making sure they're getting decent light with the clearing is a good start. Watch for any tent caterpillar nests. Im not sure about the pine - hemlock close by, I mean they could decrease ph. You coulod try nitrogen spikes but make sure they are the right ones in moderation. 

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/kind-fertilizer-use-apple-trees-49268.html

The problem with wild apples is that they are likely to be sour and hard. Just like us, wildlife prefers to eat soft and sweet fruit. Once wild apples are higher than the browse line, you can top work them. That is, graft improved varieties onto wild trees. Cleft grafting is easy. I taught myself and had over 80% success rate the first time I did it. I top work trees for wildlife and for home consumption. I have full size wild trees that have been bearing improved fruit for 30+ years.

I taught myself using this brochure and the instructions on grafting wax:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCAQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fdspace.library.cornell.edu%2Fbitstream%2F1813%2F3074%2F2%2FTop%2520Working%2520and%2520Bridge%2520Grafting%2520Fruit%2520Trees.pdf&ei=8eBgVJf6NZKmyASF_YEQ&usg=AFQjCNEbqmMvwJvOFw-wVyKReRnBwVwZLw&sig2=sOvff2h_rXlmZZD0w7ffDA&bvm=bv.79189006,d.aWw

Grafting material (scions) is gathered in late winter. I do it when I prune. You store the scions in the fridge wrapped in a damp rag and sealed in a bag. Grafting is done just when the buds crack open and a bit of green is visible. Just find a tree you like, and take some cuttings of the previous year's growth in late February or March. In 3 years, you can replace the top of a mature tree. Getting a graft started on a small tree is relatively simple. Once it is has enough leaf area you can remove the branches of the original variety. This is done gradually.

• 3 weeks later...

I found quite an overgrown orchard on my property when bought it, with several varieties. Deer eat all apples, with preferences to availability (heck, if they eat super bitter acorns and love them, any apple is free candy!). Open up as much sunlight as possible- super important. clear away as much competing brush/ saplings. .

• Like 1