Blood trail going thin

Nivk

you would need to add the bone structure to that illustration to get an idea of how that shot angle could go bad.

Yeah & I could not find one quick with the skeletal system

Grow I was thinking the same I do think he hit something major

Deer are relentless & have a strong will to survive it can amaze you what they can endure

Still think the best is to wait it out may take time but I think you should find a dead deer

Edited by gfdeputy2

Sounds like a dead deer. Don't give up yet.

Agreed, keep an arrow knocked trek slowly in case hes bedded and you spot him and have the time to put a second arrow in him, i kicked up a doe last weekend twice before i could put a second arrow in her to finish her off. 

I just shot my first whitetail archery hunting at 7:45 am. I was about 15m away and think I had a good hit to the right lung. The deer ran downhill and I waited 30min before checking out the hit site. My arrow had remained in the deer so there wasn't much to see there. About 100ft away I found the blood trail. It was more like a highway though. I thought it would be no problem to track this guy. Now it is 3 hrs later and I'm following drops every several feet. I'm starting to worry that I should have waited longer to start tracking. Anyone out there with thoughts on what to do?

common misunderstanding is that a 1 lung hit is good. Generally it's not. You're better off hiting a deer in the hind leg and slicing the femoral artery. while it's often lethal still, a big buck can survive a 1 lung and many deer will go much further and die much slower than you'd like

• Like 1

I hope you get it! But, deer can run a long way and survive with only one lung. I have seen and I never would believe it if I didn't see it with my own eyes.....but I saw a double lung hit on a monster that ran over a mile spewing blood out of both sides....they never found it....It was dead somewhere but 10 people couldn't find it....tracked for over a mile in suburbia and the blood trail was thick. Good luck!

Ugh... had to call it off for now. Need food water backup and flashlights. I've been in the woods for 9 hrs. This wasn't the way it shoulda happened. I will definitely never take that shot again.

Edited by Nivk
  • Like 1

Well I just got back from a few more hours of blind searching in the rain. I figured the rain would have erased the little blood droplets I had left off on, so to begin I just went in the direction the trail was traveling and poked around in a thicket near a little pond. After a  while I came to a bed site that was clearly a body print in the leaves with two big puddles of blood. It was so thick in there I was crawling on hands and knees, but I only found a couple more drops to indicate that the deer had traveled south after leaving the bed site. So I went south and did a search formation through the swamp for the next couple hours. Unfortunately that turned up nothing.

I had to call it quits bc I was pretty soaked and I have to be a work at 5 tomorrow. What a dissapointment. Certainly not the outcome I was hoping for this morning.

I really appreciate all of the advice and tips you guys. This site has been a great resource for me as a beginner. I guess my last question is just what to do now? I feel like going out after work tomorrow will be hopeless after this rain. I have heard you can call in tracker dogs in some cases, but honestly I'm thinking this guy might actually survive this!? He must be one tough buck to have gotten so far with a wound like that.

• Like 2