Why People Hate Hunters

Curmudgeon

Chatter overheard on the 2-way radios on opening day:

"I shot at that f**king buck 5 times and the bullets didn't hit the snow so I must have hit the deer. The buck kept running like a b**tard."

that's why hunters hate other hunters.....other people hate hunters for a whole slew of other reasons, and after some of the hunters I encountered this weekend, I don't blame them.

• Like 3

It happens every year. Its not really a thing to call it " Gun Hunters " Since a lot of bow hunter ( Like myself ) hunt with gun.

I think bow hunters are generally better hunters and use better ethics. Not always true but more times than not it is.

I hunt a good chunk of private land sometimes and it has state land all around it. You will see people on wheelers with a bunch of freinds just trying to make noise and get a deer to hop up. On opening day I was walking to my stand and there was a guy hunting right off the main trail. I mean to be sitting and clearly willing to shoot at something that will have anyone in the woods walking in or out on it is nuts lol.

....and after a short pause a reply came back from the other radio. :keeporder:

"Ummmm, you're breaking up Burt.... it sounded like you said you shot 5 x's but I've yet to hear the gun go off!"

I'm coming for you Wooly and hells coming with me…………LOL too funny.

I hope you spoke up on the radio. 

These guys were several hundred yards below us. The quote was heard by a young hunter I adopted (who I believe is getting an education on hunter behavior). She typed it into the computer last evening for you all after I logged in. She did not respond.

If there is a silver lining, one of our crew killed a buck Sunday morning that was dragging a front leg. It was a long shot and he would not have taken on a healthy deer. He could only see the head and neck clearly. He broke its spine and tagged it. The elbow had been shattered. Maybe it was the same buck. It was very close to where the jerk shot 5X.

Edited by Curmudgeon

Sitting here reading the comments about bow hunters being more ethical, and "gun hunters....." makes me really sad for this sport. Instead of calling out the bad apples, generalizations are made, and you basically divide us based on the weapon we are using vs what type of a hunter we are. Stuff like that is a win for the antis. Some of you are your own worst enemy and dont even realize it.

• Like 13

Sitting here reading the comments about bow hunters being more ethical, and "gun hunters....." makes me really sad for this sport. Instead of calling out the bad apples, generalizations are made, and you basically divide us based on the weapon we are using vs what type of a hunter we are. Stuff like that is a win for the antis. Some of you are your own worst enemy and dont even realize it.

Exactly
  • Like 2

calling out a sub-culture is not a win for the anti's. It's an attempt to police ourselves before they have to do it for us. You can deny and act ignorant to the fact that there is a different breed of hunter who enters the woods for 1 or maybe 2 weekends a year. Often with a hangover and a cigarette in his mouth. If you believe it's a shot to all gun hunters then you're being silly too. You know who it's aimed at and why.

it's no different than a sports team trying to weed out their bad apples before they make the rest of the team look bad. I'm sick of the stigma a sub-culture gives the rest of us.

Edited by Belo

calling out a sub-culture is not a win for the anti's. It's an attempt to police ourselves before they have to do it for us. You can deny and act ignorant to the fact that there is a different breed of hunter who enters the woods for 1 or maybe 2 weekends a year. Often with a hangover and a cigarette in his mouth. If you believe it's a shot to all gun hunters then you're being silly too. You know who it's aimed at and why.

it's no different than a sports team trying to weed out their bad apples before they make the rest of the team look bad. I'm sick of the stigma a sub-culture gives the rest of us.

too bad bows don't make noise when discharged.......I bet if we could hear every miss, multiple shots at spine and gut shot cripples, etc,  they would be no better than the gun hunters, would they?

Not very often that you fling multiple arrows at a running deer. No Hunter is perfect. And I've never barb able to hear a miss it gut shot from any weapon. Again, don't be silly. You know who my comment is aimed at.

you've never heard a gunshot that resulted in a miss? or someone have to shoot a gun more than once to finish off a deer that is flopping around after a bad first shot? of course you have, that's what some of those multiple gunshots are for....to suggest that Archers are more responsible than gun hunters is silly...I had a tracking dog for years and tracked a lot of deer for Archery hunters, much more than gun.........and after getting my fill of bad shots that should never have been taken,  and B.S. stories to drag me out in the middle of the night, I gave it up. It's not until we expand outside of our little world where we like to think that everyone acts like we do, that we get to see what really goes on.

• Like 4

Sub-culture? So according to you, people that dont bow hunt, and only gun hunt are a sub-culture? Who gives a damn how many weekends someone has to dedicate to hunting, if they smoke, etc they are still a hunter, and you snubbing your nose to them, degrading them, etc regardless if they are breaking any law or not is the win for the antis. It means we are not sticking together, and are giving up what strength our numbers give us.

• Like 1

I never said non-bow hunters are bad. But there are per capita more irresponsible gun hunters than bow. They make hunters of all kinds look bad. Yes it includes the archer who does not practice, but when it comes to hunters shooting hunters that make newspaper headlines it's rarely if ever an arrow.

And I would put a large sum of money on the claim that those who do shoot other hunters are not also bow hunters, but strictly gun. He probably pumped gas in his clothes on the way to his area. Stop defending the slob Hunter

Edited by Belo

I saw a guy pumping gas in his camo during archery season with a bloody deer strapped to the hood of his car with the body cavity propped open for all to see, slob archery hunter..........fast forward to this weekend, same scenario, slob gun hunter........the average person doesn't distinguish between the two, and neither should we.

I saw a guy pumping gas in his camo during archery season with a bloody deer strapped to the hood of his car with the body cavity propped open for all to see, slob archery hunter..........fast forward to this weekend, same scenario, slob gun hunter........the average person doesn't distinguish between the two, and neither should we.

I don't see an issue with that. He bagged a deer and needed some gas.
  • Like 4

I don't see an issue with that. He bagged a deer and needed some gas.

but he had breakfast at the local diner in his hunting clothes prior to going out in the morning, and rumor has it he shot the deer 45 seconds before sunrise according to someone else's watch.......

I never said non-bow hunters are bad. But there are per capita more irresponsible gun hunters than bow. They make hunters of all kinds look bad. Yes it includes the archer who does not practice, but when it comes to hunters shooting hunters that make newspaper headlines it's rarely if ever an arrow.

And I would put a large sum of money on the claim that those who do shoot other hunters are not also bow hunters, but strictly gun. He probably pumped gas in his clothes on the way to his area. Stop defending the slob Hunter

Bull. Your sentiment was plain as day when you said "gun hunters....."

Im not defending "slob hunters", Im defending hunters. If someone wants to smoke cigs, pump gas and go out hunting one weekend per season and follows all of the regs, and is safe with what hes doing, then I have no problem with that person.

Maybe you should get off your high horse and stop bashing people that dont hunt the way you do.