Hornady SST slugs

I have had up and down performance on these based on gun used (like any ammo).

I've used them in my muzzleloader (SSTs) and they do OK. My Mossberg liked them but my H and R Slug Hunter hates them. Killed a few deer with them, blood trails were mediocre, but often the deer hit the ground pretty quick.

I use them with my 870 and they also group awesome. I have shot a few deer with them as well. The only thing I have noticed is if you hit solid bone like the shoulder then they leave a very large exit wound and damage a good portion of meat. They usually drop pretty quick and have had good blood trails with them also.

Yeah, what phade and Trailer said. My daughter and I both got bucks Saturday. Hers was 20ga SST at 30yds roughly. Deer ran 15 yds, fell in a brook and died right away.

My buck I shot at 10 yds quartering towards me, entry in front of shoulder, deer dropped on the spot.

Her deer (20ga) had a tiny (pencil-size) entry hole in skin, no blood, but inside ribs had big damage and both lungs jelly and opposite shoulder damaged beyond edible but no exit.

Mine (12ga) had a medium entry wound, damage up into spine ( fired from low ), and tons of flesh damage in front half. 

These slugs do nasty things inside deer, but I think a wrongly placed shot might leave little or no bloodtrail to follow. I may ponder going back to foster slugs for up close work where accuracy can be off a little and save my SST's for distance shooting. My scoped guns group real nice with SST's.