Pussy footing

Al Bundy

Seems to me a great time to pussy foot.  I remember a bunch of years ago now when I first learned of pussy footing for deer.  I was the youngster and one day after coming in from stand I was trying to get the old guys going to drive some very large gulleys. They would have none of it but told me it was a great day for pussy footin'. Lots of jokes of that nature came out during hunting season and I put this comment into that category and chuckled.  I think it was old dad who finally explained what this was and why this day was great for it.  During the night a nice gentle snow fell, something like 4-5 inches, maybe more. Any rate, more than a dusting.  It was light fluffy powder and did not crunch or pack down when you walked on it.  He explained pussy footing was walking slowly, quietly as possible through bedding areas and looking to jump deer. Since the snow was there and it was the right kind of snow, it would mask any sound of you walking. Also a bit of a breeze in the correct direction would help. I thought he and everyone was nuts and trying to have a laugh at my expense. Surely you cant sneak up on a deer! How the hell would one do that? I figured I couldnt shoot something sitting playing poker so I would walk and walk until I was about froze then come back. They told me what field, what hedge row, what area would be promising.  I suited up, grabbed my trusty BPS and took off. I walked more than a few miles that day and on my swing back to camp, I walked along what looked like a very promising area. A thick swail field butting up against a hedgerow and a thin grassy field along the other side. I pussy footed along, thinking about some eggs and bacon when suddenly I found my gun at my shoulder and the trigger being squoze. BOOM. before I really knew what hit me, there was a deer down about 60 yards in front of me. WOO HOO. Pussy footing works!! The deer was apparently sitting along the hedge and I kicked it up. My gun was an extension of my body and worked flawlessly that day. Next thing to do was claim my prize. I marked the area pretty good in my mind and off to camp I went to get help dragging.  Hope you all enjoy this fun little story but there is a point to it today. With all the reports I hear of snow all over, this may be a strategy to think about.  I am actually thinking of trying to pussy foot through some of the standing corn around.  I have never done this through the corn before but I know they are in there hiding..  Any other people on here go pussy footin for deer before? Anyone through the corn??

Ive already started it. I know of a few great buck bedding spots on our farms. I stalk them whenever I get the chance. Any time I find a spot where I notice bucks bedding (usually found while still hunting or scouting and I bump a buck off the spot a couple of times) I will start strategizing how I can kill a buck in that bed. This year we went so far as to bush hog a trail that I can use to stalk a bed Ive been trying to make a move on for the last 2 years. Its nearly impossible until we made this trail, and even now it will only work on a specific wind. Last year my buddy closed the deal on the biggest buck hes ever shot while he was accompanying me on one of these stalks. I have fallen in love with still hunting the last few years. Its a ton of fun.

• Like 1

I will still hunt when conditions are right. I won't when the area I'm hunting has too much "orange" around, lol. As has been noted, the conditions need to be right. When deer have been pressured, this method is very difficult. This 1st week in the Hancock area has had ice coated leaves and I haven't found out how to "pussy foot" quietly in these conditions.

Still hunting (IMO) is the most rewarding way to harvest a deer.

Edited by Freytown

We have about 60 " in orchard park, makes for real quiet walking but an awful lot of heavy breathing and cussing.

My parents in South Cheektowaga have just a little more than that.  We were joking about throwing on some snowshoes and deer hunting.  Almost wouldn't be fair. 

Good stuff. I am going to try the pussy foot through standing corn method here Thanksigving morning, as I cant make hunting this weekend.  I dont think I have snow where camp is, but Ill give a try anyway.  Good hunting to all this weekend.

Make sure its windy (as in windy enough to make the corn rustle and cover your sound), and move into the wind, or youll get busted long before you see any deer. Also be sure of your background before you shoot.

Straight from online dictionary. I thought it was just made up term but apparently it's a real word.

pussyfoot

[poo s-ee-foo t]

verb (used without object)

to go or move in a stealthy or cautious manner.

to act cautiously or timidly, as if afraid to commit oneself on a point at issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1