On Ethics

Curmudgeon

Doc,

I agree about some pest control for things like woodchucks,  we called them groundhogs where I grew up.  Their burrows were hell on harvesting equipment. I would hang out with my grandfather checking his fields while he taking out groundhogs before I was old enough to hunt.  That farm has been gone for 30 years now.

For normal edible game, our rule was if you won't eat it, don't hunt it.  Hunting was a pastime and a way to reduce grocery bills for meat for multiple generations in my family. 

Guess my ethics and values are different.

We would sometimes send a rabbit or two over to a friend of the family who grew crops that we didn't.  He would give us some potatoes & squash in return.  He didn't have time to hunt - ran a farm and had two other jobs, plus 3 kids to raise.  This is all back where I grew up, not in NY.

Back home, fox was chase-only on Sundays - no "harvesting" a fox.  They were something just to observe.

We had no Sunday hunting - Blue Light laws.  But you could fish 7 days a week.

Imagine working M-F or being a full-time student and having 1 day to hunt per week in a two week deer season - made it more challenging (this is before trail-cams existed).  If you got a buck and a doe, you were done for deer hunting. That is all the tags you were issued.  Could purchase a great buck tag, but the had to be 10 pt with a certain antler-spread size, but there were very few of those deer in the area I grew up in.  That is the deer hunting I had growing up.

If you kill a deer... what difference does it make who eats it as long as it gets eaten? If you don't like venison but your family does, they don't get to eat venison because you don't eat it? How about if your mom and dad like venison? You can't give them any? If I have 100 tags and want to kill 100 deer and give it to charity that's what I'm doing... don't care how many deer the rest of you get.. that's your problem... just because I can hunt every day and you can't doesn't mean I have to leave deer in the woods for you... How am I suppose to know when, where or who is hunting on the state land I'm hunting... for some hunters it wouldn't matter if the woods were full of deer, they still couldn't kill one... it's not up to me to try and make your experience better... it's probably not ethical to expect the hunters that can kill deer... not to... and deprive hungry people a donated meal in hopes that you MIGHT be able to kill a deer. Not to mention I'm doing my part for population control regardless of whether I eat the meat or not myself. If you have trouble filling your tags maybe you can get some donated venison at your local soup kitchen that was donated by someone that could.

• Like 6

Call names? No I am making fun of your 80's hair sir. And that's a FACT!

Im glad i can be your guys hero. Im not sure but i dont think jealousy as bad as you and your pet Biz have is healthy. When you see something that you never were and never will be will dig at your being if your not careful and to see a pic that good with a buck the size of that, of which you two will never see let alone be able to take a hero shot with when.others do it on a yearly basis..Man that has to burn.  

Im glad i can be your guys hero. Im not sure but i dont think jealousy as bad as you and your pet Biz have is healthy. When you see something that you never were and never will be will dig at your being if your not careful and to see a pic that good with a buck the size of that, of which you two will never see let alone be able to take a hero shot with when.others do it on a yearly basis..Man that has to burn.

Lol. We all could shoot a buck like that if We had the access to land like that. Many of us could go to Kansas, Iowa, etc and get one like that as well. I don't have that big of an interest in a whitetail. I'd rather go west hunt and hunt mulies spot and stalk as opposed to whitetails. I never had a mullet and never will. I think it's cool a millionaire has a mullet and lives in bumblefek Jefferson County, New York. I'm pretty sure anyone who is a millionaire would love to have a mullet and live in the great Evan Mills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

Lol. We all could shoot a buck like that if We had the access to land like that. Many of us could go to Kansas, Iowa, etc and get one like that as well. I don't have that big of an interest in a whitetail. I'd rather go west hunt and hunt mulies spot and stalk as opposed to whitetails

Yeah ok...Do you not post every one of your hunts on this site? So we see your interest. Some of us can find and kill the mature bucks that run our state. But they are called hunters! 

Edited by Four Season Whitetails

Yeah ok...Do you not post every one of your hunts on this site? So we see your interest. Some of us can find and kill the mature bucks that run our state. But they are called hunters!

Haha. Come down to 3N and hunt public land on Saturday's and mornings only on Sunday's and kill a 120" buck and I will be impressed by you. Until then, you aren't impressing me Mr. Mullet the Millionaire.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

Down the rabbit hole is exactly where we went so I'm with you.

Is a hunting license required for the "high-fence" deer hunts? For the confined boar hunts? If a hunting license is not needed, is it really hunting?

When I ran the pheasant preserves to train my dog you had to have HAD a license or a hunters safety class. I believe it was for their insurance requirements but I have no idea if all require it. It is not mandated by the state.

Doc,

I agree about some pest control for things like woodchucks,  we called them groundhogs where I grew up.  Their burrows were hell on harvesting equipment. I would hang out with my grandfather checking his fields while he taking out groundhogs before I was old enough to hunt.  That farm has been gone for 30 years now.

For normal edible game, our rule was if you won't eat it, don't hunt it.  Hunting was a pastime and a way to reduce grocery bills for meat for multiple generations in my family. 

Guess my ethics and values are different.

We would sometimes send a rabbit or two over to a friend of the family who grew crops that we didn't.  He would give us some potatoes & squash in return.  He didn't have time to hunt - ran a farm and had two other jobs, plus 3 kids to raise.  This is all back where I grew up, not in NY.

Back home, fox was chase-only on Sundays - no "harvesting" a fox.  They were something just to observe.

We had no Sunday hunting - Blue Light laws.  But you could fish 7 days a week.

Imagine working M-F or being a full-time student and having 1 day to hunt per week in a two week deer season - made it more challenging (this is before trail-cams existed).  If you got a buck and a doe, you were done for deer hunting. That is all the tags you were issued.  Could purchase a great buck tag, but the had to be 10 pt with a certain antler-spread size, but there were very few of those deer in the area I grew up in.  That is the deer hunting I had growing up.

One thing is for sure. Ethics decisions have an awful lot to do with location (local hunting methods), parental guidance, and often they vary by generation. When I grew up, almost every kid around ran traplines. I was pretty good at it, but I have yet to eat muskrat, coon, possum, skunk, beaver, mink or fox. Fact is that I don't even know anyone who ever did. I never had any twinges of conscience or ethical wrestling matches because I threw away all that meat or used it for bait.

The only problem I have with limiting hunting to only the "food source" justification is the idea that that standard, if widely accepted, could have some far-reaching effects if it ever found it's way into law.

• Like 1

One thing is for sure. Ethics decisions have an awful lot to do with location (local hunting methods), parental guidance, and often they vary by generation. When I grew up, almost every kid around ran traplines. I was pretty good at it, but I have yet to eat muskrat, coon, possum, skunk, beaver, mink or fox. Fact is that I don't even know anyone who ever did. I never had any twinges of conscience or ethical wrestling matches because I threw away all that meat or used it for bait.

The only problem I have with limiting hunting to only the "food source" justification is the idea that that standard, if widely accepted, could have some far-reaching effects if it ever found it's way into law.

deer seem to have been lifted up to some level higher than all other animals, why? I have no idea.........

• Like 1

Any animal that was spooked to me by an animal and killed is not hunting. A hunter pushes a deer to a hunter is hunting. A deer going to a food plot is a far cry from a bear going to a bucket of doughnuts.

A dog flushing a bird that can fly..Is that like a cat treed by a dog and shot by a hunter?

Now when you talk birds..Do you mean the ones that are raised and hand fed by humans and then planted out in the wild for a hunters to kill? Yeah i know..Its ok to kill an animal raised,grown and fed by humans as long as its not Bambi....What a crock!

Why is a deer pushed to you by a person different than a deer pushed to you by a dog?

Why is a deer going to a food source different than a bear going to a food source?

I asked about bird hunting with a dog in general. Why is a bird being spooked to your gun different than a deer spooked to your gun?

Im not saying I agree or disagree with any of this, or what my opinion is, Im just asking you questions.

When exactly did I say a bird let loose in a field was different than shooting a deer behind a fence? You sure do assume alot.

Why is a deer pushed to you by a person different than a deer pushed to you by a dog?

Why is a deer going to a food source different than a bear going to a food source?

I asked about bird hunting with a dog in general. Why is a bird being spooked to your gun different than a deer spooked to your gun?

Im not saying I agree or disagree with any of this, or what my opinion is, Im just asking you questions.

When exactly did I say a bird let loose in a field was different than shooting a deer behind a fence? You sure do assume alot.

Really!!!  You want to go there?  No Thanks.  Let me tell you this my friend....If the post on here right now of the great deer drives that killed a dozen awesome deer said at the bottom..All ran to us by dogs!! This freakin board would light up so fast it would catch on fire. 

If you think a human hunter and a dog hunting are no diff and a bear standing eating candy in a bucket or walking into a corn field at dusk is no diff...You have the problem...Not Me!!

Really!!!  You want to go there?  No Thanks.  Let me tell you this my friend....If the post on here right now of the great deer drives that killed a dozen awesome deer said at the bottom..All ran to us by dogs!! This freakin board would light up so fast it would catch on fire. 

If you think a human hunter and a dog hunting are no diff and a bear standing eating candy in a bucket or walking into a corn field at dusk is no diff...You have the problem...Not Me!!

Mike, are you reading my entire post, or just what you want to before you fly off the handle?

"Im not saying I agree or disagree with any of this, or what my opinion is, Im just asking you questions.

When exactly did I say a bird let loose in a field was different than shooting a deer behind a fence? You sure do assume alot."

• Like 1

Growing up I was my fathers flushing dog. I actually retrieved pretty well too. Goes right along with never needing a riding mower or a snow blower until I moved out.

[eth-iks]

plural noun

1.(used with a singular or plural verb) a system of moral principles:
the ethics of a culture.

2.the rules of conduct recognized in respect to a particular class of human actions or a particular group, culture, etc.:
medical ethics; Christian ethics.

3.moral principles, as of an individual:
His ethics forbade betrayal of a confidence.

4.(usually used with a singular verb) that branch of philosophy dealing with values relating to human conduct, with respect to the rightness and wrongness of certain actions and to the goodness and badness of the motives and ends of such actions.

Let me tell you this my friend....If the post on here right now of the great deer drives that killed a dozen awesome deer said at the bottom..All ran to us by dogs!! This freakin board would light up so fast it would catch on fire. 

The board would light up because that is illegal in NY.  If it was legal in NY, then the board would not light up.  Pretty simple to understand.