Successful Season - Sure Was

moog5050

OK - so I have been complaining (mostly to myself) about how I haven't got a shot on mature buck this season.  Only had one encounter with a legit shooter in bow and he wouldn't stop.  Haven't seen any antlers since regular season opened.  Seemed like the shooters knew which stand I chose and would taunt me by walking by the other stands only to have their photos taken (starting to hate those trail cams - lol).   I have been a bit down thinking I should be able to kill a wall-mounter every year.  Why did this highly anticipated season go so wrong?  But wait, after further reflection, was the season a success?

I may not see any antlers the rest of this season, but it was a HUGE success:

1.  Plenty of time in the woods enjoying nature;

2.  10 straight days off from work, with nothing to do but hunt with friends.  Upon reflection, good times even when we didn't necessarily recognize it since none of us got on a buck we really wanted.

3.  Perhaps should be No. 1 on the list, brought my five year old daughter out for the first time Thanksgiving day morning.  She did great quietly walking into the blind and sitting for 1.5 hours.  We didn't see anything and she was getting ready to "go find the deer".  So I text Phade explaining that she was nearing the end and ask him to shoot the next doe he sees to keep it interesting for her.  Sure enough, Phade accommodated.  5 minutes later - shots and 2 deer down.  Of course, Phade needed her help in "tracking" those deer and confirming they had expired.  Great morning for sure.  She will be back in the woods without a doubt.  She did finally see a live deer walking out but we decided not to shoot with two down already.

432ABEE3-E0FE-488F-966B-6428A9E7E6D2.jpg

4.  Arrowed 3 doe in archery season and successfully shot a doe in rifle at 225-250yds (my longest shot by far - one that I won't likely repeat again).  Plenty of delicious meat in the freezer.

5.  Fortunately survived a 10-12' fall with barely a scratch while stupidly moving a ladder tree stand on my own during bow.

6.  Spent a memorable morning talking to a button buck that simply would not leave my stand, no matter what I said to him - whether in English or Spanish.

7.  Learned a few new tricks that will be put into practice in the future.

Even though I know it already, sometimes I need to remind myself that hunting is not all about killing the big buck.  Great season for sure.  Maybe Mr. Big will stroll by when I least expect it, but it doesn't matter.  The season was awesome!  Thanks God, Natalie, Phade, David and Steve!  Good times with a few more hunts to go.

• Like 13

did you get to try out the .250 Savage>

Believe it or not, that gun is still on hold.  I will have it by spring.  The seller is a great guy and I know it will make it to my safe, but he hasn't finished the deal yet (but assures me he will).  I don't press too hard on it.  Thanks again for the ammo!  It will be used soon. 

Yeah Moog, Phade talked me into crowding into the bedding areas early in the season instead of relying so much on the rut. I know all about the deer coming and just handing out, or even bedding right in sight of my stand. It sure is nerve wracking.

It is always a lot more fun for me to have the youngsters and newcomers enjoying the hunt. As I told Phade, you guys are lucky to have a group to share your hunt and experience with. Enjoy it.

• 3 weeks later...

Don't know how this post escaped me as this is the first time Ive seen it, but we did have a blast this season, despite it being much tougher going for the bigger bucks. For once, I was spoiled with many of the encounters. Admittedly, some of them were luck, and some by design based on our skills/logic. A couple royal screw-ups don't help, but that's part of what makes it fun.

• Like 1