Crazy thing young deer do.

First-light

So we were up at the cabin this weekend. My friend Zach tells me he sees 2 doe and two fawns headed his way. They get to thirty yards and stop. No shot yet, one of the fawns starts playing around and is pushing the older does jumping up and down doing 360's. She sees him and runs over to him and does the same to him. Here is a guy holding a gun ready to shoot you and you play around with him. He showed me the spot he was standing and I saw all the prints from what the deer was doing. The Mom finally makes him and they take off with the little one behind. He would of never of shot the little one. He was kind of speechless when I got to him simply because he was amazed at what the deer did. 

• Like 2

On Friday I had a tiny fawn bed down 20 yards from me.  I haven't harvested a deer yet this season so the thought quickly crossed my mind to take her but she was pathetically small.  She stayed for 45 plus minutes.  I started using a deer call on my phone rattling off every call known to man, she didn't budge.  I even stood up drew down on her and she still wouldn't go.  I even started barking, howling and "talking" to the fawn and it still did not move.  It finally bolted after the wind swirled and she got a whiff of me.  Strange to think with all the commotion and movement I made she wouldn't have taken off. The coyotes will probably get her.

On Friday I had a tiny fawn bed down 20 yards from me.  I haven't harvested a deer yet this season so the thought quickly crossed my mind to take her but she was pathetically small.  She stayed for 45 plus minutes.  I started using a deer call on my phone rattling off every call known to man, she didn't budge.  I even stood up drew down on her and she still wouldn't go.  I even started barking, howling and "talking" to the fawn and it still did not move.  It finally bolted after the wind swirled and she got a whiff of me.  Strange to think with all the commotion and movement I made she wouldn't have taken off. The coyotes will probably get her.

Pretty much had the same experience with a BB in bow but add in a rabbit that was hopping around the BB.  It was comical.  All my efforts to see how much he would tolerate probably pushed all the shooters away.  lol

• Like 1

Button bucks serarated from their mama in the fall are about the dumbest thing on 4 legs. I told my son that after he had one walk up to within 10 yards of him. (on the ground) He said it kinda grunted at him when it got down wind, then it took off.

Edited by wildcat junkie
  • Like 1

I shot my first deer ever way up in the Adirondack mountains about 3-4 miles from the nearest road. I was sitting on a log (not being quiet as kids tend to do when they start hunting).  And this spike horn whom im sure had never seen a human before in his life walked up and stopped at about 8 yards, just looking at me trying to figure out what i was. .  Needless to say he didnt last much longer =)