Anybody hunt with an AR15 or 10

My buddy deer hunts with his .223 ar15 and loves it. Always gets a deer every year with it and never had any problems. Just curious to see if anybody else here uses one. P.S he killed a 180lb 8 point this year with it and the damage in the kill zone was devastating. He used polymer tipped hornady 62 grain.

My buddy deer hunts with his .223 ar15 and loves it. Always gets a deer every year with it and never had any problems. Just curious to see if anybody else here uses one. P.S he killed a 180lb 8 point this year with it and the damage in the kill zone was devastating. He used polymer tipped hornady 62 grain.

There are reasons that many states don't allow .223 for deer hunting.  Your friend should consider himself lucky so far, but luck has a way of running out.  Maybe he's careful and picks his shots, who knows, but in general there are a hell of a lot of BETTER calibers out there than the piddly .223.

There are reasons that many states don't allow .223 for deer hunting.  Your friend should consider himself lucky so far, but luck has a way of running out.  Maybe he's careful and picks his shots, who knows, but in general there are a hell of a lot of BETTER calibers out there than the piddly .223.

Agreed but his weapon of choice is his AR and from what I saw there  is no lack of capability in this round. His 8 pointer was hit in the vitals through bone at approximately 75 yards and the exit hole was impressive. I believe the choice in rounds that are available today has made this round much more versatile. Dont get me wrong, I still prefer my .270 or 30-30 however I would love to actually use my AR, which is unfortunately NY compliant. 

I will never understand what the glamour is behind using an AR for deer hunting, but to each there own I guess.  I fail to see any advantages to it.  With all it's nooks and crannies it must be snagging on everything in the woods.

I have more issues with the .223 caliber than the AR rifle itself, however.  Funny, but just recently I talked to a couple of experienced deer hunting guides in another state.  Without me coaxing them they went off on how they cringe whenever any client brings a .243 along to hunt, which is the minimum caliber in their state.  They both wholeheartedly agreed that they've had to deal with more F-ups by those shooting the .243, than ANY other caliber by a WIDE margin.  I can only imagine what they'd say about the .223! LOL

• Like 1

I will never understand what the glamour is behind using an AR for deer hunting, but to each there own I guess.  I fail to see any advantages to it.  With all it's nooks and crannies it must be snagging on everything in the woods.

I have more issues with the .223 caliber than the AR rifle itself, however.  Funny, but just recently I talked to a couple of experienced deer hunting guides in another state.  Without me coaxing them they went off on how they cringe whenever any client brings a .243 along to hunt, which is the minimum caliber in their state.  They both wholeheartedly agreed that they've had to deal with more F-ups by those shooting the .243, than ANY other caliber by a WIDE margin.  I can only imagine what they'd say about the .223! LOL

I would have to imagine how much of those F-ups are hunter caused and not caliber related. It comes down to knowing what the capabilities are of your weapon regardles what it may be and your skill level. I am not going to shoot my bow at a deer at 75 yards A because of my skill level and B because I dont believe my bow will be deadly at 75 yards.

When using a caliber like the .223, of course you will choose your shots a little more wisely. But when you are talking of using a ballistic tip round in that caliber the results will be devastating with a good/decent shot. The round will enter and fragment, turning all the vitals into a sloppy mess. That's what they are made for. Not like your conventional power point that enters and mushrooms. Putting more of a thump on the animal that ripping and tearing like a ballistic tip. (I myself would probably go with an AR-10 with the .308 though).

As for the look of the AR and wanting to use it? I agree, to each there own. I really want to build a NYS legal AR-15 throughout this year to use on yotes next winter. I'm a military guy so I am naturally drawn and just comfortable with this platform.

• Like 1

I would have to imagine how much of those F-ups are hunter caused and not caliber related. It comes down to knowing what the capabilities are of your weapon regardles what it may be and your skill level. I am not going to shoot my bow at a deer at 75 yards A because of my skill level and B because I dont believe my bow will be deadly at 75 yards.

Probably is hunter related to an extent, but if it were ONLY hunter related, you'd have just as many or MORE F-ups with the bigger calibers, since in general I think most people that would go on a guided hunt would carry something more potent than a .243 for deer.

When using a caliber like the .223, of course you will choose your shots a little more wisely. But when you are talking of using a ballistic tip round in that caliber the results will be devastating with a good/decent shot. The round will enter and fragment, turning all the vitals into a sloppy mess. That's what they are made for. Not like your conventional power point that enters and mushrooms. Putting more of a thump on the animal that ripping and tearing like a ballistic tip. (I myself would probably go with an AR-10 with the .308 though).

As for the look of the AR and wanting to use it? I agree, to each there own. I really want to build a NYS legal AR-15 throughout this year to use on yotes next winter. I'm a military guy so I am naturally drawn and just comfortable with this platform.

With any luck this thread will turn into a 14 page argument on whether the .223 should be LEGAL for deer or not!    

With any luck this thread will turn into a 14 page argument on whether the .223 should be LEGAL for deer or not!    

Not looking for an argument. Looking for opinions because I was not an advocate but saw with my own eyes this year the results produced from a good .223 round. As for taking mine on a guided hunting trip, I agree with you and would take some much heavier artillary.

They are great rifles to hunt with. The platform has a proven record of service in every environment in the military and hunting. You can build them to be far more accurate than most semi auto platforms, and the variety of aftermarket parts is unrivaled.

• Like 1

I have seen many a deer killed with a .243

I never said they couldn't kill deer.  The question is why would I use an inferior caliber, when I can use a superior one?  The recoil argument to me is a silly one.  If you can shoot a .243, there's NO reason why you couldn't shoot a .270 just as well.  Felt recoil is all in the head.  I can see a magnum caliber being a little too much for some shooters, but thinking that a .243 is so much less punishing than a .270 is ridiculous.  I know which one I'd give to a beginning hunter.  I prefer a bit more thump on the animal they are trying to bring down, than worrying about that little extra thump on their shoulders.   That's how I see thing, anyway.

My buddy will only shoot a interlock or polymer tip. And I have seen the results which are impressive. He hunts for meat, not for hobby so the kill is extremely important to him so I doubt he would use something that is not up to the task.

I just built a NY compliant and I love it. Comfortable, fun to shoot and one bad ass looking gun. Granted I wish I could have bought an original however that is no longer my choice as long as I am here in NY. Go for it. You'll love it. I find no comfort difference between the Thordsen stock and the pistol grip so it really doesnt bother me.

• Like 1

I never said they couldn't kill deer.  The question is why would I use an inferior caliber, when I can use a superior one?  The recoil argument to me is a silly one.  If you can shoot a .243, there's NO reason why you couldn't shoot a .270 just as well.  Felt recoil is all in the head.  I can see a magnum caliber being a little too much for some shooters, but thinking that a .243 is so much less punishing than a .270 is ridiculous.  I know which one I'd give to a beginning hunter.  I prefer a bit more thump on the animal they are trying to bring down, than worrying about that little extra thump on their shoulders.   That's how I see thing, anyway.

O, I agree with you completely. But again I guess it refers back to, "to each their own." I love my .270. But the post was about the AR platform and I think it could most def be used on deer no problem. Just need to pick those shots more wisely.

I def plan on building one for yotes. Pretty excited about it.

My buddy will only shoot a interlock or polymer tip. And I have seen the results which are impressive. He hunts for meat, not for hobby so the kill is extremely important to him so I doubt he would use something that is not up to the task.

I just built a NY compliant and I love it. Comfortable, fun to shoot and one bad ass looking gun. Granted I wish I could have bought an original however that is no longer my choice as long as I am here in NY. Go for it. You'll love it. I find no comfort difference between the Thordsen stock and the pistol grip so it really doesnt bother me.

Or just get a MR2 mag release and leave the pistol grip stock on it.

• Like 1

There have been a few posts on this forum regarding the effectiveness of the .223 cartridge on deer.  It will certainly kill deer, provided the right bullets are used in the round when hunting.  The only caveat is energy loss at long range.  Under 200 yards you will have plenty, beyond that it's marginal to ineffective.  That is most likely why it is perfectly legal to use a .223 for deer in NY.

Not looking for an argument. Looking for opinions because I was not an advocate but saw with my own eyes this year the results produced from a good .223 round. As for taking mine on a guided hunting trip, I agree with you and would take some much heavier artillary.

If you saw it with your own eyes then why the need for a discussion? I saw first hand what a rage broadhead does to a whitetail and the very next year i switched to rage broadheads and never looked back.The problem with internet discussion is you get people who say one thing when you have witnessed the excact opposite in real life.

If you saw it with your own eyes then why the need for a discussion? I saw first hand what a rage broadhead does to a whitetail and the very next year i switched to rage broadheads and never looked back.The problem with internet discussion is you get people who say one thing when you have witnessed the excact opposite in real life.

I am assuming you didnt read the opening post of me saying that I was just curious to see if anyone on here hunts with an AR. That was the point of the discussion and finding out what people think of them. If I didnt ask then this site would be useless. I intend on using mine regardless of what people say on here because I did see with my own eyes that they are more than capable. Its just nice to have feedback from my fellow hunters on the pros and cons.

AR is heavy and awkward to carry in the deer woods for me, I just like the feel and carry of a bolt gun for hunting and I can keep it around 7Lbs scope and all for all day carry. Although if we ever ran into a situation where we had flesh eating zombie deer roaming the woods by the hundreds then the AR or even better AK platform would be my 1st choices.

All they are is a funny-looking semi-auto rifle. If I owned one, I probably would use it. I don't think the deer will care as much about the scary look of them like some people who turn pale and start trembling at the mere mention of them.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...