Smokin Away

Uncle Nicky

I used apple, wood was in there from start to finish, so constant smoke....I have a Masterbuilt Electric Smoker.....I was wondering if that because it was so cold here yesterday and last night, that caused it to burn hotter than normal and create a more intense smoke because the smoker was constantly fighting to maintain temp., is that possibel?

Edited by jjb4900

well, my first attempt at kielbasa is so so, casing came out a little dark, crispy and too smokey...........probably too heavy on the smoke at too high a temp? did about 170 for 12-14 hours. Only up point is I just grabbed a few links of fresh Kielbasa from a local German store, so no $$ really lost. The guy wasn't sure if there was any preservative added so maybe I was a little over cautious with the heat and cook time.

I think you are correct, sounds like too much smoke, too high of a temperature, cooked too long. I usually go 160 degrees with just a few wood chips. Also, I have to rotate the racks in my smoker after a few hours, the sausages closest to the heat source will be finished long before the sausage on the top racks if I don't.

I think you are correct, sounds like too much smoke, too high of a temperature, cooked too long. I usually go 160 degrees with just a few wood chips. Also, I have to rotate the racks in my smoker after a few hours, the sausages closest to the heat source will be finished long before the sausage on the top racks if I don't.

ok, I did read that just because you don't see a lot of smoke doesn't mean that it's not smoking......maybe I should have listened.

ok, I did read that just because you don't see a lot of smoke doesn't mean that it's not smoking......maybe I should have listened.

I usually only put in enough chips to provide smoke for the first hour and a half or so. It will only go so deep regardless of how long the chips are in there. It only intensifies the amount in the outer layer. Sometimes making it too smokey. Trial and error.

I usually only put in enough chips to provide smoke for the first hour and a half or so. It will only go so deep regardless of how long the chips are in there. It only intensifies the amount in the outer layer. Sometimes making it too smokey. Trial and error.

I'm pretty sure what you said is exactly what happened....

Its all your fault UNicky because of you i went out and bought a smoker and made a batch of the smoked sausage..lol They were killer, my kids and family devoured them. This first batch i used mesquite wood with light smoke and came out quite tasty. Next batch im gonna try some apple wood. My quesion to you is now i need to try my hands at the jerky, do you care to share that recipe and process? Thanks for getting me started, i have now found a new healthy addiction called "smoking everything i can get my hands on"...lol..sure is rewarding when you make your own smoked meats and everyone enjoys it. Thanks

• Like 2

NYbowhunter

I run my smoker year round just did a venison rump roast & sliced it like roast beef

I too smoke anything I can fit in my smoker. we try to do 3 meals out of it a week summer I do more

I have a barrel smoker (wood / charcoal) so days like today I can smoke but usually have to finish in the oven

it is only 5 degrees here today

NYbowhunter

I run my smoker year round just did a venison rump roast & sliced it like roast beef

I too smoke anything I can fit in my smoker. we try to do 3 meals out of it a week summer I do more

I have a barrel smoker (wood / charcoal) so days like today I can smoke but usually have to finish in the oven

it is only 5 degrees here today

Yep i plan on using mine alot, my wifes already talking about doing a brisket, chicken, turkey , salmon..etc... i picked up a masterbuilt digital electric smoker, its very effecient , well sealed and doesn't require a whole lot if chips. The digital temp.and timer takes alot of guess work out of smoking.

Now that you have a smoker try this ... I take some backstraps and cut a pocket in the center with a long fillet knife, then marinate for 1/2 hour in equal portions of veg.oil, water, vinegar, and Montreal Steak seasoning. then I take my jerky shooter with a sausage stuffing tip and stuff the pocket with hot Italian sausage, then smoke at 200* for about 4 hours. let cool and slice it up, It is awesome!

• Like 1

Now that you have a smoker try this ... I take some backstraps and cut a pocket in the center with a long fillet knife, then marinate for 1/2 hour in equal portions of veg.oil, water, vinegar, and Montreal Steak seasoning. then I take my jerky shooter with a sausage stuffing tip and stuff the pocket with hot Italian sausage, then smoke at 200* for about 4 hours. let cool and slice it up, It is awesome!

That sounds real good, i will give it a try. Thanks

Its all your fault UNicky because of you i went out and bought a smoker and made a batch of the smoked sausage..lol They were killer, my kids and family devoured them. This first batch i used mesquite wood with light smoke and came out quite tasty. Next batch im gonna try some apple wood. My quesion to you is now i need to try my hands at the jerky, do you care to share that recipe and process? Thanks for getting me started, i have now found a new healthy addiction called "smoking everything i can get my hands on"...lol..sure is rewarding when you make your own smoked meats and everyone enjoys it. Thanks

Glad to see I made a difference, maybe someone who has Photoshop can put a gold star on my avatar? :cheese:

Here is my jerky recipe:

5# venison leg meat (top round, eye round, bottom round), cut with the grain, 1/8-1/4" thick

1 quart cold water

3 oz non-iodized salt

4 oz sugar

Healthy shot of soy sauce & garlic powder

Marinate venison strip overnight in brine solution (or 12 hours). Remove from brine, rinse well, allow to air-dry slightly (about an hour).

Place in smoker set at 130 degrees, with dampers wide open, on fairly light smoke (I have an electric smoker, so I have to use a fan to draw the moisture out while it is drying). I usually rotate the racks so the meat dries evenly, this takes anywhere from 18-24 hours. You want the meat to be dried, but still flexible; too much time in the smoker and it will become brittle. Good luck!

Glad to see I made a difference, maybe someone who has Photoshop can put a gold star on my avatar? :cheese:

Here is my jerky recipe:

5# venison leg meat (top round, eye round, bottom round), cut with the grain, 1/8-1/4" thick

1 quart cold water

3 oz non-iodized salt

4 oz sugar

Healthy shot of soy sauce & garlic powder

Marinate venison strip overnight in brine solution (or 12 hours). Remove from brine, rinse well, allow to air-dry slightly (about an hour).

Place in smoker set at 130 degrees, with dampers wide open, on fairly light smoke (I have an electric smoker, so I have to use a fan to draw the moisture out while it is drying). I usually rotate the racks so the meat dries evenly, this takes anywhere from 18-24 hours. You want the meat to be dried, but still flexible; too much time in the smoker and it will become brittle. Good luck!

Thanks, yes you do deserve that gold star. I don't see your jerky recipe calling for any curing salts?

Thanks, yes you do deserve that gold star. I don't see your jerky recipe calling for any curing salts?

No, I have never used curing salt for jerky, most people don't. I know nitrates aren't particularly good for you, and provided you have the dampers open wide enough, the meat will dry out before bacteria sets in, plus the amount of salt acts as a bacteria retardant.

No, I have never used curing salt for jerky, most people don't. I know nitrates aren't particularly good for you, and provided you have the dampers open wide enough, the meat will dry out before bacteria sets in, plus the amount of salt acts as a bacteria retardant.

Ok thanks..what do you do with any left over thats not eaten within the first few days? Do you keep in fridge or will it need to be frozen? If kept in fridge how long will it stay good?

Ok thanks..what do you do with any left over thats not eaten within the first few days? Do you keep in fridge or will it need to be frozen? If kept in fridge how long will it stay good?

Personally, I can't eat much jerky, I'm on a low-salt diet. But, I've found a batch does not last very long. It can be frozen for a month or two, probably longer if you have a vacuum sealer. It will last in the refrigerator quite a while, but the taste will eventually "fade". I've never seen it turn rotten, but if you leave it in the refrigerator for more than a month or so, mold will form on the outside (but can easily be wiped off with a mixture of lemon juice or vinegar & water).

I don't want to hijack this thread.  But, I have a question for you guys who have more experience with smokers.  I have a weber smoker that I got as a gift last year.  I've used it a few times and have not been very happy with the results.  It's a coal-fired smoker.  My problem has been not being able to keep the temperature at consistent levels.  Was wondering if I can simply convert it to electric by buying an electric smoker element.  Has anyone done this?

I cant imagine the difficulty to maintain temps with a charcoal smoker, must be very labor intensive especially with long smokes of 6 hours or more. I dont think adding an electric element will make things easier in your situation. As culver stated and in looking at my unit, the electric masterbuilts are double walled insulated and doesnt take much to keep temps at a constant. For me the thing that makes this more enjoyable as opposed to being a headache is the digital timer, temp. control and has a built in temp. probe. All those factors add to having a consistent temp./smoke. My main concern here in the city was smoking out my neighbors..lol..however i was shocked as how little smoke escapes and requires very little wood chips. If you passed by my unit you would think it wasnt even on.

That's a good point.  I was thinking that I might be able to just use the unit as a cold-smoker if I added an electric element to produce smoke.  My problem has been that the temperature gets way too high, and then the coals burn down and I get too little smoke.  I don't want to babysit a smoker all day.  It's a shame- my wife bought it for me as a gift and it wasn't cheap.  I just haven't been able to use it properly.  I may have to bite the bullet and switch to an electric unit.

I don't want to hijack this thread.  But, I have a question for you guys who have more experience with smokers.  I have a weber smoker that I got as a gift last year.  I've used it a few times and have not been very happy with the results.  It's a coal-fired smoker.  My problem has been not being able to keep the temperature at consistent levels.  Was wondering if I can simply convert it to electric by buying an electric smoker element.  Has anyone done this?

The very first smoker I had was made from an old freezer box and electric hot-plate burners. It worked pretty well, and through trial & error, I was able to regulate the temperature pretty well. Sounds like it might work, but it would probably be much simpler to sell your current setup and get an electric or propane smoker.

I have a propane smoker and i had to add a regulator in line to cut the propane down as I couldn't keep the temp below 250*. My neighbor has a weber charcoal smoker and has used it for years. I believe it just takes time to learn how to get it working properly. Try the weber web site as i believe they have a forum of users and a lot of tips on using their smokers. I would keep trying before I would get rid of a good smoker. I'm sure there are some guys onthis forum that could give you some tips on using that smoker. Good luck!

I have a propane smoker and i had to add a regulator in line to cut the propane down as I couldn't keep the temp below 250*. My neighbor has a weber charcoal smoker and has used it for years. I believe it just takes time to learn how to get it working properly. Try the weber web site as i believe they have a forum of users and a lot of tips on using their smokers. I would keep trying before I would get rid of a good smoker. I'm sure there are some guys onthis forum that could give you some tips on using that smoker. Good luck!

I added a small inline valve on the supply line to do the same thing. I was having a very hard time when it was warm out, keeping the temps down.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't done this but I have read online of people doing this. Go on you tube and just type in home made smoker. A lot of guys are using electric hot plates instead of the more expensive heating elements. I saw one where the guy used a 2 burner hot plate, one burner for chips, one for water. Single hot plates are around $15-$20. The 2 burner one is around $30 or so. I'm not sure how much room you have to work with.

I was going to try to make my own out of a wine or whiskey barrel but couldn't find one locally. I ended up buying a Smokin It brand electric smoker. It was more than I wanted to spend ($400+) but it's built like a tank and should outlast me.

Good luck!