Got a Smoker for X-Mas! who smokes?

Geno C

Anyone into smoking food? what do you smoke? and does anyone have any tips for doing pork ribs, pulled pork or brisket?

I have smoked food in smokers with a fire box but this one is electric and i like it so much better. I already did the pre burn in it yesterday so its ready to go. I will be doing summer sausage soon, just as soon as i get another doe down and ill start grinding and stuffing the casings and put them in the smoker.

So who uses electric smokers?

Anyone into smoking food? what do you smoke? and does anyone have any tips for doing pork ribs, pulled pork or brisket?

I have smoked food in smokers with a fire box but this one is electric and i like it so much better. I already did the pre burn in it yesterday so its ready to go. I will be doing summer sausage soon, just as soon as i get another doe down and ill start grinding and stuffing the casings and put them in the smoker.

So who uses electric smokers?

Geno, I have a summer sausage recipe that will knock you socks off.

• Like 1

I have used a gas smoker for years. For Christmas I got an electric I am very pumped to start using it. Long 8-14 hour smokes won't be such a deal now!!

I have smoked, ribs, briskets, butts for pulled pork, ABTs, snack sticks, summer sausage, fatties, chickens, turkeys.......

We could go on for hours about techniques and recipes!!!

A great site is  

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/

Start there and if you have more specific questions quite a few guys/gals on here with a bit of experience. I am still learning for 6 years or so now...lol

I recently picked up an electric masterbuilt 30" digital smoker and did 6lbs of smoked venison sausage and between my kids and family thats almost gone..lol..next batch will be 10 lbs .. this weekend im smoking a pork roast...and in the near future im gonna make some venison jerky..check uncle nickys post called smoking away in the cooking/recipe section some members including myself have been talking about smoking and some awesome recipes/process were shared.

I recently picked up an electric masterbuilt 30" digital smoker and did 6lbs of smoked venison sausage and between my kids and family thats almost gone..lol..next batch will be 10 lbs .. this weekend im smoking a pork roast...and in the near future im gonna make some venison jerky..check uncle nickys post called smoking away in the cooking/recipe section some members including myself have been talking about smoking and some awesome recipes/process were shared.

I did jerky in mine and it was the best I've ever done. I marinaded in soy, Worcestershire, and garlic powder. Smoked with cherry. I think it was four hours at 180

I don't have the recipe book with me but I will put it up tomorrow.

i have the kit from sausage maker, my buddy did it and it came out great. he had some pickled jalapenos and high temp pepper jack cheese. i liked it.. Do you use a kit or your own recipe? i also want to make sweet sausage with hog casings.

nice thanks for the info, ill check it out. how do you like your masterbuilt? thats what i have also

I've been at this a while, on my 3rd smoker in the last 25 years. I have an unfair advantage, I went to restaurant school years ago and ran a deer processing business for a while, so I have a fair amount of experience. During the fall, I make sausage & jerky in the smoker, in the spring I'll make a ham or two, and in the summer I'll make brisket, chicken, or pork roasts. Oddly enough, I've never made ribs in a smoker, one of these days.....

Best tip I got from a long time smoker was that smoke only goes about 3/8" into any meat. Membranes on meat, like on the back of ribs are your enemy. Leaving smoke on over a couple hours will not penetrate any deeper but will only intensify the smokey flavor. This can make it harsh tasting for some, especially with the stronger tasting woods like hickory. I like elderberry and Apple for fish. Apple and cherry for poultry. Maple when I am using a brown sugar rub like on my ribs. And use mesquite on some sausage recipes. The other thing I picked up is sometimes we have to rethink the way we traditionally carve our meat to equally distribute the flavor in the servings. Take a turkey. Breasts should be taken off whole and sliced like a loaf of bread. This gives a nice smoke ring around the slice of turkey.

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club