Pigeon Shoot

Pygmy

I have an invite to go shoot pigeons tomorrow at a local dairy farm..

The farmer has a couple of hundred hanging around and told us to " Kill'em ALL"...hehehe.. As if THAT would happen...

I'm hunting with a handicapped friend of mine..He has a permit to shoot from his ATV.. We'll hang around the feed yard and the silos and shoot 'em when they pass in and out..

Looking forward to it..I haven't had a good wingshoot in awhile and pigeons are "el primo" wingshooting targets..Fast and manueverable..They are also mighty tasty when crockpotted with some red wine and onions..

My buddy inherited a sizable quantity of 20 gauge shotshells and has offered to provide the ammo, so my Belgian Browning A-5 Light twenty gets to go play tomorrow.

Edited by Pygmy
  • Like 5

We shot a few off the roof peak of my great-uncle's old barn back in my youth.   The only thing using that barn was the pigeons. I am sure it has either collapsed or was taken down by now.  We shot from the yard side of it and pick them up on the field side with his rabbit-dogs baying to come out and hunt with all the excitement going on.

We use to go out rabbit hunting in the morning and then hit the out-buildings for pigeons when-ever the hunt  ended without any rabbits kicked up.

Enjoy the hunt.

Sounds like a blast............ :)

Every time I hunted them they seemed to wise up FAST,  you'd get a good shoot on them early then they would stay just out of range, circling like they knew what they were doing. :rofl:

Have fun and enjoy that Ol Humpback!

Yeah, they're not dumb, and I always try to take advanatage of the first shooting because it's probably going to be the best I get..That's one reason I am using the Browning with the 5 shot mag rather than one of my doubles..

However, if you are near the areas they want to get back into, I.E. feeding and resting areas, being patient and sitting still will usually get you some more good shooting.

Yeah, they're not dumb, and I always try to take advanatage of the first shooting because it's probably going to be the best I get..That's one reason I am using the Browning with the 5 shot mag rather than one of my doubles..

However, if you are near the areas they want to get back into, I.E. feeding and resting areas, being patient and sitting still will usually get you some more good shooting.

Yee Haw.......it sounds like a good time. 

I can't tell you how many times I've heard that lovely rat tat tat of the 7 1/2 shot raining down on the tin roofs of the farmers barns......don't worry, it won't hurt anything.    ;)

Edited by Lawdwaz

We do this every weekend and have a blast. To go up for an hour or two and come back with 40+ birds isnt uncommon at all. It's expensive when you're going through a brick of shells at a time but it will make a damn good wing shot out of anyone real quick. Got this guy about a month ago... post-1109-0-17202300-1421867487_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Well the pigeon shoot was a resounding success..for the PIGEONS..!!

There were a couple hundred birds around, but they stayed high and wide..I managed one for four shots and my partner got two...

Oh well,there's always next time..The breasts are enough for a treat for The Mermaid and I and they are currently wrapped in bacon on low heat in the oven, braising in a bit of chicken broth !!

I'll bake up a sweet potato to go with them and wash it all down with a Labatt's Blue...

• Like 3