Butchering a moose

Gilliland440

Nice moose. I have been part of that kind of moose butchering scene back in the mid 80's at the end of a DIY Ontario hunt. It was a pile of work. But as Pygmy said, packing that sucker out was the real work. We had a 150 yard portage between lakes to add into the effort. ....lol. We were in pretty deep.

Nice.  definitely helps to have multiple guys.  My dad and crazy uncles got one as a group years back and got it out whole.  it was a smaller bull moose I think from Quebec.  took ropes, every hand, and a truck to get it back to camp.  The outfitter thought they were crazy and so did others from couple area camps.

• Like 1

Nice.  definitely helps to have multiple guys.  My dad and crazy uncles got one as a group years back and got it out whole.  it was a smaller bull moose I think from Quebec.  took ropes, every hand, and a truck to get it back to camp.  The outfitter thought they were crazy and so did others from couple area camps.

I bet they did!  That is nearly unheard in AK.  You either need a really big track/wheel rig or one right on the river like this one and somewhere else you want it to be to go through that effort.

But nothing would look cooler than to have one hanging whole in a tree, especially if you could hang a deer next to it ... haha

-JR

• Like 1

It is relatively common in Maine and parts of Canada to bring moose out whole...Often it requires hiring a logskidder, but many moose are killed close enough to woods/logging roads so that they can be winched to a vehicle with a long cable.

When I shot my bull in New Brunswick, my friend, who is a dairy farmer ( and licensed guide) sent for his hired man with a huge 4WD tractor...The guy drove across a clearcut, going over and around stumps and downed timber, hooked a chain to the moose and dragged him out to a logging road.  He then picked up the moose with front end loader on the tractor and set him in the bed of a pickup truck..

Having  previously done three bulls in Alaska the HARD way, I thought that was pretty cool.

• Like 1

Definitely helps to have multiple guys. 

I think that anyone who plans on moose hunting alone, had better count on eating the thing right where it drops. Even a small one is more than a single person can handle. Unless you can drive right to it and have some special equipment.