An AWESOME weekend!

MellyMcSmelly

I am an LPN, and have been for a looooong time. I've been working on upgrading for a looooong time, also. I'm doing it through Excelsior college, it's a self-paced, nontraditional program, designed for upgraders. Last weekend was my CPNE, which is a clinical proficiency exam. It's a weekend-long clinical, partially simulated lab settings, partially real patients. All portions are timed, and you can fail any part if you run over. It's $2000, plus preparation workshops, plus hotel. So it's stressful, and financially stressful!

I had to repeat my first of the "simlabs" because I was so nervous I ran out of time. The other ones I aced. I repeated the lab on Saturday, and aced it. I passed the live patients with flying colors. I PASSED!!! My graduation will be processed in a month or 2. Yay me!

So I stopped at the New Hartford Gander, to do a little Christmas shopping, then headed home on the thruway. Did some shopping closer to home, and meandered my way home. Got home, unloaded the car, kissed my husband. Told him I was going hunting. (He had to go in to work for nights.) Took the Yukon, and drove out to out friend's place, where we have a ground blind set up.

I Sat, sat, sat....JUST before dusk, 2 doe came out of the woods to the left. 2nd was bigger of the 2. Lined up, pulled trigger, and she dropped in her tracks, wadded up. Lucky thing, because my gun jammed after that shot! Texted hubby "got one." He called, was almost to work. Offered some suggestions of people I could call for assistance with dressing her, unless I "thought I could handle it." I told him I planned to do it myself, that I would call around if I needed help but that I was fairly certain I would be able to dress her alone. (He'd just gotten a doe less than a week prior, so I'd also had a recent refresher, LOL.)

So I dressed her, and just as a was finishing, heard a few coyote yips. As I got the drag harness on, and got her moving, the yips were getting lots closer and more exuberant. Had to stop backat the blind on the way to the truck to get my jammed gun, then dragged her over/through the snow up the hill to the truck. It was c-o-l-d, windy, and snowing. Stopped a few times to catch my breath!

I get up to the truck, and try like hell, but can't get her up. Called Jay for advice. He gave me a multitude of useless suggestions. :D Didn't seem to grasp the concept that I was flatout tapped, and at 5'4", my center of gravity is too low, LOL! Ended up callinga friend who lives about 5minutes from where I was, who I had texted when I got her. 

"Murney, it's Melinda...are you home?"

"Yeah, what's up?"

"I shot her, dressed her, dragged her.....but I can't get the bitch in the truck!!!"

He showed up in about 10minutes, and helped me heave her in the truck. All that rescue cost me was a beer and a pack of steaks!

Jay's deer was a little bigger, but I think mine's perfectly respectable. Figuered her for about 120 dressed. Freezer's full!!!

[glow=red,2,300]

All in all, a fantastic weekend!

[/glow]

post-1828-131455389308_thumb.jpg

post-1828-131455389318_thumb.jpg