Somebody took my buck!

sodfather

Well not realy but the story goes like this, I hit a 4 point about 40 yards away with one shot square around the vital's (so I think) then he dropped right there, kicked around on the ground then got up an started to trot away. I fired another and may have missed, an whatched him run off. I got right down from my stand and walked over to were I shot him to see if I saw blood and sure enough a nice 4 inch round spatter. I then waited about 30 min to start to go after him, and followed blood trail for about 300 yards an kicked him up in some reel thick stuff. Again followed blood only to kick him up again, so after following him for over a mile it was getting dark fast then kicked him up again and 1 min latter I here Boom Boom, I mean it was 4:45 let along he had to of been running why would you shoot you couldnt see that good. I waited till this morning to pick up the trail again (just incase he missed) and started tracking at first light, followed blood for a while only to find alot of blood with ATV tracks or tractor tracks, so I figured I will follow those and there was the deer hanging from a swing set. So I have 2 questions, should I have waited longer to track? And should I have said anything to the guy who shot it which he was inside I didnt see him? That was my first deer so I am a little upset. 

I think you waited long enough. I would of backed out the 1st time you jumped him. I think the way the deer was moving it was fair game for that guy to shoot at. Well you didn't get your first buck, next one will be a 10 pt! BTW I would of knocked on his door told him the story, no harm.

I think you waited long enough. I would of backed out the 1st time you jumped him. I think the way the deer was moving it was fair game for that guy to shoot at. Well you didn't get your first buck, next one will be a 10 pt! BTW I would of knocked on his door told him the story, no harm.

+1 if the guy took the deer legally then it was ok.  Same thing happened to me and my buddy on opening day.  He shot a 4 point and we jumped it the first time after waiting 30 mins .  The next time we found it we thought it was dead.  upon walking up to it it got up and ran.  Gave it another hour and got permission to track it on the property where it went.  We chaised it right to another hunter who shot it.  They took the deer but gave us permission to hunt there property.  Its disapointing but if the deer goes right by the guys stand you can't blame him for shooting it.  You def. should have waited a while after spooking him the first time.  But it was a lesson learned I'm sure.  Good luck and I hope you next one is a 10 pt.   

Last shooter gets the deer.  DEC law.

Its who ever made the killing shot not who ever shoots it last. so if you make a good, fatal shot and it runs by another guy and he shoots it again its still the first guys deer. And I'm not so sure its a actual law either.

This case however it was not a fatal shot by the first guy so it is the second guy's deer.

Last shooter gets the deer.  DEC law.

Last LEGAL shooter would qualify that statement..

I don't think the DEC allows you to shoot a running deer, shot already by someone else, after sundown..

Today, for NYC was 4:28, Buffalo was 4:41, so I'd tend to say 'last shooter' in this case, may be also illegal shooter by DEC law..

If you know the guy, I probably would throw it out there next time you see him, 'that it was good he finished off your deer, and didn't go to waste', but I wouldn't go knocking on the door.. Nothing to be gained but bad blood/feelings.. And for your first deer, do you really want some fiasco associated in your memory of it??

I understand you wanted the deer to bleed out, but when your in a high pressure/public area, especially for gun season, I move right away.. This isn't some television show, on a thousand acre ranch where nobody will stumble across it.. Public land hunts you need to expect other hunters will be around, so possession is 9/10 ths the law.. Every hunt is a learning experience, so cough this one up to the learning curve..

Ya I understand the guy shooting it even though it was dark, and I know its the kill shot who gets the deer. I was on 65 acres of private land and he went through a couple different properties , I didnt ask anyones permission if I would have drove around to do that I would still be knocking on doors. I just kept following blood why ask I was not carring my gun and if anyone asked me I'm looking for a wounded deer not shooting deer on there property. I dont think I would ask if I had to do it over again most people are understanding. But let me ask this you guys go to each property and knock on there door just to look for a wounded deer?

I usually like to have a good feeling on the people around me.  Who hunts what and how many people maybe hunting an area if any at all.  To me its safer that way and easier to get permission to track a deer.  Heck one guy granted me and my buddy permission to hunt his property just because we asked to track a deer and didn't just go do it.  Asking permission is the right thing to do and it actually would have killed some time and your deer may have died before it got to the other hunter.  On the other hand someone could have told you no and then there would have been no hope for the deer.  If your not carrying your weapon though I could see people being alot more understanding and believing of your situation then if you were.  Loosing your first is a tough apple to swallow but as stated above do you really want to have a debate over your first deer?  Good Luck in your future!!!   

It sucks espescially since it appears it was finally shot after legal shooting hours. I think it's wrong but you really have nothing to gain by knocking on the guys door other than a confrontation.

If i recall my hunter safety course from 20 years ago I believe for archery it is the first fatal shot claims the deer. However, for regular season it's the first person who claims the deer. I have never read anything in the DEC regulations about this so it could have just been the instructors understanding.

I also believe that this debate ranks up there with how far from the road you need to be before you are leagally hunting. Anyone?

I recently took the hunter ed class with my son, so I sat in.

"Last shooter to shoot the deer gets the deer.  period ended."

You shoot him in the lungs,  he runs by me, and I shoot him in the foot,  it's my deer.

I'm not arguing about it when two people are carrying guns, and 1 wants the deer more than the other,  but the above is what they taught in the hunter ed class.

They also said,  suck it up, and give the deer away, cause there are plenty more out there to harvest.

Probably hit it in the liver if it was still giving out blood.  Thats were my buddy hit his and we followed blood forever and ever.  It didn't stop.  Once we jumped it the second time it never bedded down again (even after giving it another hour) and who knows how far it would have gone.  It was actually good we chaised it to another guy because we might not have caught up to it.   

Trying to determine ownership of the deer based on "first killing shot" can get into all kinds of complications. Obviously if the deer is on it's feet hours after it is first shot, It's going to take some kind of forensic study to determine how "lethal" that first shot was. I have never had an issue with this because in my mind if some guy is blood trailing the deer, I have no problem with putting the thing down and handing the deer over to him. I don't know whether that is right or wrong .... legally or morally required or not, but to me it just feels like the right thing to do.

Hitting a deer and killing a deer are 2 different things. I think if you shoot  a deer through the heart, lungs or liver and it runs 30 yrds and somone else shoots it and it drops its the first fatal hit that gets the deer. But if you gut shoot the deer or shoot a leg off or hamshoot them or anything that is not going to kill that deer in seconds or minutes then that deer is still in play as far as im concerned and I reserve the right to keep the deer if I so wish. I have no moral obligation to reward a bad shot and would not be upset at them for taking the deer if it was the other way around. I would be more upset with myself for some shody shooting skills. And as far as liver hits go, I have never had a deer go more than 100 yrds with a bullet to the liver, especially a slug, They bleed out fast. Now an arrow to the liver is another thing. Good to give them a few hrs with and arrow.

Ya the more I think about it maybee I didnt hit him in the vitals but I do know I was following good blood all the way, not just a drop here an there. I know I dont want my first deer to be a bad experience but now I can chalk it up to things I learned, and Im glad someone will get some meat in the freezer an those coyotes didnt get it.  I think next year Im going to drive to these other surronding properties and just let then know what area I will be hunting and maybee someone will throw me a bone cause there was great buck signs in some of those thickets.

Ya I understand the guy shooting it even though it was dark, and I know its the kill shot who gets the deer. I was on 65 acres of private land and he went through a couple different properties , I didnt ask anyones permission if I would have drove around to do that I would still be knocking on doors. I just kept following blood why ask I was not carring my gun and if anyone asked me I'm looking for a wounded deer not shooting deer on there property. I dont think I would ask if I had to do it over again most people are understanding. But let me ask this you guys go to each property and knock on there door just to look for a wounded deer?

Sod, no one took your deer.  I'm sorry you didn't get the meat, but You were trespassing and could have been arrested.  Private property is private property.  Ask first. 

Sod, even though you were able to follow blood, if the deer traveled a mile and was still alive a hour later, it wasn't a vital hit.  It may have died from the hit after a while, but I wouldn't consider the shot a kill shot.  After you take a few deer you will see they can bleed a lot for a long time from a wound that will not kill them.

If the deer runs past another hunter and he shoots it, it is his deer.  Track the blood to the property line.  If you don't have permission to trespass on other property, do not cross over onto it until you get permission.

Experience will teach you to put a precise shot into a deer that will drop it in it's tracks.  Even then, shots may be off and deer may still run, even when hit well.  But if you hit the heart or lungs, it won't travel that far.

That's just part of hunting Sod.  You hunt and you learn.  But these are the experiences that will make you a better hunter if you learn from them and strive to avoid past mistakes in the future.

..I also believe that this debate ranks up there with how far from the road you need to be before you are leagally hunting. Anyone?

Nope thats a law, as long as you are off the road you are fine, it was discused and spelled out in another thread the other day complete with definitions of roadways and every thing.

"Last shooter to shoot the deer gets the deer.  period ended."

You shoot him in the lungs,  he runs by me, and I shoot him in the foot,  it's my deer."

um, no thats not the way it is and just because a hunter ed instructor says it doesn't make it true. Hell I remember my instructor telling every one you had to be 500 feet from a road to shoot, my old man corrected him and he was so positive he was right he went to the book and was proved wrong in front of every one..haha what a trip that guy was. The best idea would be to try to find it in print where it says if you shoot a deer in the foot after another guy shoots it in the lungs its your's..that I would love to see. ;)

And sod if you really don't want to track or lose them shot them through the shoulders and keep shooting until it is down for good.

Trespassing yes I know and next time I will ask permission, but like I said before Im walking without a weapon looking for a wounded deer, most people are understanding and if you want to call the cops go ahead thats a case that will be thrown out of court 8 out of 10 times with maybee a small fine, not to metion how much time I would be wasting of the property owner, in legal proceedings cause I am always represented. 

Sod, no one took your deer.  I'm sorry you didn't get the meat, but You were trespassing and could have been arrested.  Private property is private property.  Ask first.

"Most people are understanding."  Maybe.  What if you trespass on an 'anti' or someone who is not sure about hunting?  Then they hear a shot and someone in orange walking in their woods.  They may call the police, or at least come out yelling.  I have a neighbor who checks on us every year, even though we are on our own side where we have permission. 

Also, people hunt differently.  Some hunters are into managing their property.  They study every inch.  They might primp the woods to guide deer trails, build bedding areas, and plant food plots.  They are probably meticulous scent freaks.  They recognize that every footprint they leave on the ground is scent left behind.  Every twig they touch is a definite warning sign to older deer.  They themselves don't enter parts of their woods, or allow their scent to blow in areas, in order to hold deer on their property to increase their chances at harvest or growing older bucks.  And they may pay a lease or thousands in taxes. 

Now I'm not saying that the land manager is a better hunter, just that he WON'T understand you trespassing, and WON'T appreciate it.  He has worked hard at what he is doing, and sacrificed hunting the bedding areas on his property, that "your" deer bedded down in, and you may have walked through.  I know people who won't hesitate to call the police, and don't care how much trouble they have to spend in court, or what it costs them.  I don't really like to go that route, even though it really bothers me, for a few reasons.  But others will-without question.

All I'm saying is people have different priorities, views of hunting, and methods of hunting.  Not everyone understands you tracking blood through their property without the courtesy to ask.