TRAIL CAM

I use the Bushnell Trophy Cam, best thing are its tiny tiny size, fast trigger speed and batteries last forever. It takes 8 "AA" batteries, I put the camera out in May and I just replaced the batteries this past weekend, I think 7 1/2 months on one set of batteries is not too bad and a couple of those months were in some very frigid temps. I'm thinking about getting another one. Unfortunately the Moultrie I40 that I had only lasted 2 1/2 years, the LCD screen did not work anymore, it was taking very few pictures and was not taking any pictures at night.

Which camera comes with the best security device. I have a Moultrie D55IR didn't come with any security device but I have only used it in Maine. Left this camera up there this year not too worried about it getting stolen- might get eaten by a bear though. Looking for a camera to leave out in Dutchess this year.

I am convinced deer DO NOT like a flash (young deer don't care or know any better though).  Do any of you w/infrared notice if it spooks them.  All ours are flash cameras, and I'm not really sure how much 'help' they are.  They do take nice photos at night if the deer is close enough.  I'm thinking of leaving the flash off next yr.

I have Moultrie cameras.  an I-40, two I-60's and four I-65'S.  The I-40 and I-60's use six D batteries and last the better part of a year.  The I-65's are about three months old and take four D batteries that I haven't replaced yet.  Moultrie sent me new LCD displays at no cost with instructions for replacing them myself or they will replace them for you for the cost and effort of shipping.  Go to their web site for info or call their number that is on the tag in the cover of the camera.  I had a Cudiback which was much faster but had less than half the IR flash range and two few megapix to enlarge enough to see any detail.

I am convinced deer DO NOT like a flash (young deer don't care or know any better though).  Do any of you w/infrared notice if it spooks them.  All ours are flash cameras, and I'm not really sure how much 'help' they are.  They do take nice photos at night if the deer is close enough.  I'm thinking of leaving the flash off next yr.

That was one of the requirements when I bought my cameras and will continue to be a requirement for any future ones. I only will buy the infra-red versions. Yes, the night pictures are not exactly the most artsy looking photographs but they tell me what I want to know without scaring the devil out of the deer. I noticed on a lot of trail-cam pictures with the flash, a lot of the deer definitely took notice of the camera and in some cases you could see that they were alarmed. That's not what I want to do to the deer that I will potentially be hunting. The infra-red Primos and Bushnell pictures show no indication that the deer even knew anything had happened. That's the way I want to keep it.

Would love to be able to do that kind of stuff with trail cameras. But due to my age and having no job its kind of hard to buy myself one.  >:P

All in good time. I got along a good many years without trail cameras. My interest in them now is really only involving my own curiosity. I can't say that they really aid my hunting at all. It's more a case of satisfying my curiosity about what is out there and what is going on when I'm not out there. So, I would hardly call them a required piece of equipment.

The prices keep coming down so perhaps soon they won't be so far out of reach for you. Also, you may want to post something on this forum asking about used cams. I'm sure a lot of guys change their minds about what they actually want once they actually start usingthem. They just might consider unloading some used ones at a much lower price.

Doc

My buddy let me borrow one of his this year.  I used it kind of as an experiment just to see how it works and what might be out there.  It is infared and did not spook any deer but did spook the fox's lol.  Kind of funny there will be 3 pics usually the fox coming in then looking at the camera then running away lol.  I believe this one is made by Bushnell.