What is your favorite turkey choke tube?

RangerClay

I bought myself an Undertaker Tube many yeeeeears ago for myself and have not shopped for one since.  Now I find myself buying one for my daughter Mossberg Bantam 20 gauge.  With all of the new models in choke tubes, do you have any recommendations on what choke tube I should buy for her?

Kick's Gobblin' Thunder has always worked well for me and several of my friends.

However there are lots of tubes on the market that I have NOT tried.  I always heard good reports on the Undertaker also.

A friend of mine in Missouri is a big proponent of the Undertaker.

It just so happens that he is a funeral director by profession.

I wonder how those Fed HW-7s would do out if a .572" 20ga choke?

That's .058" constriction in the Ithaca barrel.

In theory the flightcontrol wad is supposed to be designed for tubes that are much more open than that. Based on some of the results I've seen you would probably be able to crack the 100 hits in 10" at 40yds benchmark without much trouble, probably with a bit of wiggle room. The real eye popping numbers from those shells typically seem to come from the tighter chokes though like the .562 SumToy or the .555 Indian Creek. With temps in the 60's my SumToy is pretty consistently around 180 hits, at 30° it still throws 130+.

• Like 1

In theory the flightcontrol wad is supposed to be designed for tubes that are much more open than that. Based on some of the results I've seen you would probably be able to crack the 100 hits in 10" at 40yds benchmark without much trouble, probably with a bit of wiggle room. The real eye popping numbers from those shells typically seem to come from the tighter chokes though like the .562 SumToy or the .555 Indian Creek. With temps in the 60's my SumToy is pretty consistently around 180 hits, at 30° it still throws 130+.

haven't found an even nice pattern yet with flightcontrols out of a tighter choke.  in theory the more open/closer to bore it is the better but I've got the best with longer full constriction skeet/trap chokes.

Isn't there some problems with shooting a shell with a flight control wad out of a  ported choke? I thought I remember reading somewhere it is not recommended.

the design is meant for the stiff wad to stay with the shot longer to keep it together longer.  some are getting great results with ported, tight chokes but it's working against the design and just utilizing the dense shot at that point.  not sure why they don't put HW shot in a normal wad for those setups.

• Like 1

Indian Creek or Pure Gold...

IMG_0093vb.jpg

haven't tried the blend yet but a dozen or more loads, including some from hevi-shot.  by far and across the board for all loads Pure Gold .670 ported choke has performed as well for some and better than most other chokes.  I've got over half a dozen after market tubes I've tested.  None were Sumtoy, Indian Creek, or Rhino.  Many other popular and proven ones though.  PureGold has a pretty gradual transition from bore to max constriction by design.  I think my tighter Benelli bore adds to that.  Also I can't imagine how good it'd be if I had the forcing cone lengthened versus stock barrel it is now.

Isn't there some problems with shooting a shell with a flight control wad out of a ported choke? I thought I remember reading somewhere it is not recommended.

The 20ga shells have a softer wad and don't seem to have that problem. That said, it's a finicky wad and requires the right choke.

how many of you felt the need to install sights / scopes to make up for the super tight patterns of the aftermarket tubes? 

I've got an adjustable Burris Speed Bead that mounts between the butt stock and receiver.  if the battery dies I can still see the through it and use the stock bead, but the red dot can be dialed in to adjust for changes in point of impact from the chokes.

mainly have it for aiming with close in shots so I don't miss as the pattern's the size of a fist.

Edited by dbHunterNY

haven't tried the blend yet but a dozen or more loads, including some from hevi-shot.  by far and across the board for all loads Pure Gold .670 ported choke has performed as well for some and better than most other chokes.  I've got over half a dozen after market tubes I've tested.  None were Sumtoy, Indian Creek, or Rhino.  Many other popular and proven ones though.  PureGold has a pretty gradual transition from bore to max constriction by design.  I think my tighter Benelli bore adds to that.  Also I can't imagine how good it'd be if I had the forcing cone lengthened versus stock barrel it is now.

In my Browning BPS, the first choke that I tried was a .665 Indian Creek but the pattern wasn't as good as I was hoping for. I read that since the Browning invector plus barrels are backbored (.742) they like a little less constricted choke. So, I tried a .675 Indian Creek and the .670 Pure Gold...both performed equally well but the PG was a bit easier to clean.

Here's a 30 yd. pattern from last year with Hevi 7's...

IMG_20140420_151525_292.jpg

haven't found an even nice pattern yet with flightcontrols out of a tighter choke. in theory the more open/closer to bore it is the better but I've got the best with longer full constriction skeet/trap chokes.

Yeah, I should have said certain tighter chokes. As I said above it's a finicky wad. Choke internals have a lot to do with it. The SumToy and IC do very well with the HW7 20ga loads though.

My 835 seemed to like Kick's Gobbling Thunder best of all the chokes I tried. I still wasn't happy with the pattern, and sent it to Rob Roberts/Gobbler Getter in Arkansas. He sold me one of his chokes (Pure Gold), and tested every shell available at the time, got my best pattern with Winchester Hevi-Shot #6s (now discontinued), best $200 I ever spent.

I switched over to Hevi-Shot Mag-Blend last year when I ran out of Winchester Hevi-shot. I am confident out to 60 yards if needed, but keep them within 50.