Smelt Festival

Tomorrow May 1st from 6 to 10 pm. In Lewiston N. Y.. Lewiston never smelt so good, LOL.

I will be there and also at the Brickyard getting my usual, the Poor Boy sandwich.

Remember what I look like?  Robert Redford/Burt Reynolds ain't even close............ :)

Look for a curly redhead and that will be my better half.  I'm the ugly mugged one with her.

Don't show Mike Rossi this one but here's a recent shot:

image_zpsrkso9fpz.jpg

A good story follows that picture!

Say hello if you see me or PM me a phone number.

Back on the '70s, my Dad was a foreman for a steel mill contractor at US Steel "South Works" in Chicago. They had a slip on Lake Michigan where they loaded barges with slag.

One year they set up gill nets on the midnight shift. My Dad came home with a plastic (unused) garbage can full of smelt!

We cleaned smelt for quite a while. I liked the small ones best. The bones would cook up so you could eat 'em like French fries

Edited by wildcat junkie
  • Like 1

Tomorrow May 1st from 6 to 10 pm. In Lewiston N. Y.. Lewiston never smelt so good, LOL.

I will be there and also at the Brickyard getting my usual, the Poor Boy sandwich.

Did you go?

My wife and I went and were very disappointed.  The last time we went (two years ago) the held it over on the grass right by the Silo.  Apparently they had to move to the PARKING lot across the street to appease the Silo?  

That was a bummer, I enjoy the view of the water as much or more than the smelt.  Twas a long line for beer too..........

Such a waste to spend such a beautiful night in Lewiston in a PARKING lot.  :(

I was there Lawdwaz. I was also disappointed in the spot change. The smelt was good when getting past all that coating. I peeled that off. All in all, we had a good time.

Thanks to Lewiston Spenser's for a successful event.

I look for you in the crowd . You must film with a longer neck than in person,LOL.

I have some great memories of the nights of going smelting in the tributaries of Canandaigua Lake. My Dad, myself, uncle and cousin used to never miss it. And boy were those little critters good to eat. Of course people wrecked all the good access places with their trash and mess, and access to those streams are now all posted up. Just one more fun thing ruined by idiots. I haven't gone smelting in years.