Unreal...

TreeGuy

So u know how u watch the hunting shows and see crazy things done and wonder if it's actually possible for YOU to do it ? I found myself watching a hunting show a few weeks back where they showed a commercial for the mojo " shoot and scoot ". It's a life sized full strut tom decoy, but the catch is that it's designed for you to crawl behind so you can get hot and aggressive Tom's to come into fight you, basically, getting on top of you for you to shoot. Well, I YouTubed it and saw a few compilations that had me laughing at how close and fast these Tom's would come in to these guys laying behind the decoy. It was actually so rediculous that I just had to try it. Took my 75$ gift card to cabelas and got me one........

So, got it home, and since it came with a fabric fan I decided to use the kit to accommodate a real fan and used one I had from a few years ago... I was pumped. A little uneasy if it would work, but still very excited. Watched the video a few more times over the next couple of days for motivation... than it came time to practice. I quickly realized that using my 870 w/ a 28" barrel was not going to be easy when I'm on my face skull dragging towards a long beard, so I decided I'd just throw on my slug barrel. When I got upstairs to the gun case I had yet another crazy idea, my father had let me hold on to his very old single shot 12ga which had been cut down to just legal barrel length ( protection gun ). It was the perfect tool for the job. Now I was ready. Took a couple practice shots to group ole shorty and realized I better have him within 15 yards to get a good pattern.

I have a friend in the business of putting hunting on film and I invited him and his very fancy camera to join me on my quest. I also rednecked up my scoot n shoot to hold my little Sony camcorder so I could also have a " birds eye view"

So, the morning started with all kinds of gobbles from all directions, but nothing seemed to want to come in. We waited for a couple hours, with some soft calling here and there. Finally, about 100 yards out I see a long beard headed towards my hen decoy, game on !! I quickly got out of the blind and grabbed my tools, i started by walking around a pile of brush I put on the side of the blind ( give me some cover while I start my crawl ) and got out to where it opened up to the field. I saw the tom coming at me and he stopped in his tracks.... turned around and started slowly walking away. I crawled over to my hen decoy and the tom kept looking back but didn't seem to want to come in, so instinct kicked in and I patted the hen to sound like I was mounting her.... and that did the truck. He turned right around full strut. Started coming my way and strutted every 10 yards. He wasn't in a hurry but he was coming. I braced myself for what could actually be happening. He slowly came in, as if he was playing dumb and pretending there wasn't a full strut tom with a hen, as he came within 20 yrds I got the gun up, but I had to keep making sure I had the camera on him while he circled around me. Once he got under ten I did one final adjustment of the cam and got down on ole shorty.... BOOM. Down went the long beard !!!! He was about 5 steps away when I shot. I could not believe it worked !

The footage I got is not super high quality,but it's still awesome footage. My friend is currently moving to a new house and once he is settled he will be editing it and I will obviously be sharing !! It really is amazing footage. I have a still shot, which I will try to upload/post where I freeze framed when I shot, it appears that it was a head shot, cause his head is not there..... just an awesome day, I can't wait to show u guys the footage !!!

so, for my next challenge, I will be trying to do it again, but with a bow and arrow....

Go out and get yourself a scoot n shoot, you will not be dissapointed, if it works !!!

24#,9" beard, 1" spurs.

• Like 9

Great story. I'd be afraid to do that though. With my luck, somebody would shoot my azz.

On the decoy, on the box, on the reciept, on the website, and on the mojo video it clearly states you should not try this on state land or any area where other hunters may be present. On my property, I'd shoot them before they shot me ;)
  • Like 1

I heard a story years ago where a guy took just the tail fan from a gobble and crawled behind it to close the distance on a gobble hung up in the middle of a big field. Did the same thing. crawled right up to the bird and killed it. Hard to believe as their eyesight is so good. But just like every love sick male, you see what your mind wants you to see. LOL

Seriously you need to be real careful. If this style of hunting turkeys takes off i'm sure someone is going to get shot or shoot themselves as they crawl with their safety off. 

• Like 1