border patrol checkpoints

This is what happens when you try to stand up for your rights...

Just a few miles away... I have been stopped and harassed dozens of times at the same spot..

I always held my tongue though.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=884263721635146&id=100001545789884&refsrc=http%3A%2F%2Fnorthcountrynow.com%2Fnews%2Fsuny-canton-criminal-justice-student-tased-border-checkpoint-after-refusing-trunk-search-resist&_rdr&refid=9#_=_

Doing her best to pave the way for terrorists to enter the country without any trouble.

The government is not your friend.  Before going to the border, make sure you have nothing to worry about and comply with the requests of the border patrol.

Standing up for your rights only works if you really know the details of those rights.  They are all subject to infringement.  Any gun owner should know that.

• Like 1

Still doesn't justify illegal stops and searches. What with 'amnesty' (treason) and all, I guess these boys have nothing better to do? Maybe they were looking for home-schoolers in the trunk.

BIG OLD ASSUMPTION my friend

BIG OLD ASSUMPTION my friend

Any stop accompanied by a warrant-less search is, by definition, illegal. Citizens are neither obliged to answer questions, or even get out of the vehicle if they feel the line of questioning is irrelevant or potentially incriminating for the owner of said vehicle.

Officers are empowered to conduct an arrest if a crime has been committed or suspected. This was clearly not the case here. This was an illegal checkpoint.

Papers Please!

Edited by Papist

Any stop accompanied by a warrant-less search is, by definition, illegal. Citizens are neither obliged to answer questions, or even get out of the vehicle if they feel the line of questioning is irrelevant or potentially incriminating for the owner of said vehicle.

Officers are empowered to conduct an arrest if a crime has been committed or suspected. This was clearly not the case here. This was an illegal checkpoint.

Papers Please!

We can go back and forth on check points. They are BS. But unfortunately they are legal and police, can apply reasonable suspicion and probable cause to detain someone and search a vehicle.

But my main point is that this little snot intentionally provoked the officers and got the video she wanted.

• Like 2

apply reasonable suspicion and probable cause to detain someone and search a vehicle.

This is the whole issue surrounding 'routine' checkpoints. Unless cops are looking for a fleeing suspect or kidnap victims in a trunk, there is no basis for any suspicion and no legal basis for making stops. This is just fishing , and fishing is illegal in America.

Legally, the girl's actions are irrelevant. She should never have been stopped.

I see these activities as being a form of conditioning for future acceptance.

Edited by Papist

Really disgusted That this came from the same school I graduated from. Within 50 miles of the border you pretty much are subject to Bp searches and if you respect them they are always polite back. In the 4 years at college I'm not sure how she didn't learn when Miranda rights are required.

50 miles of the border you pretty much are subject to Bp searches 

This is ludicrous. No need for it.Keep border searches at the border where they belong, for people actually crossing said border.

And the worst part is, we know there is no official desire to ensure we have true border security in this country. Something else is going on here and it stinks.

Edited by Papist

Couple of years ago the wife, then 9 year old daughter and I were driving thru Canada to Michigan . At customs the woman who was directing traffic waved us and a bunch of others into a another line. A Nexus line . When us and everyone realized it was too late. They told us to pull over for secondary inspection even when I explained to first inspection what happened, she acknowledged error and still made us pull over. At secondary inspection we were rudely greeted by some woman with an attitude and her hand on her handgun in holster. I was pizzed to be treated like a criminal with my family. She was a real biatch to us. 2 hours later we were on our way. I told my wife you better be the one to talk or I might say something I might regret.

This is ludicrous. No need for it.Keep border searches at the border where they belong, for people actually crossing said border.

And the worst part is, we know there is no official desire to ensure we have true border security in this country. Something else is going on here and it stinks.

I completely agree with you!

Doing her best to pave the way for terrorists to enter the country without any trouble.

The government is not your friend. Before going to the border, make sure you have nothing to worry about and comply with the requests of the border patrol.

Standing up for your rights only works if you really know the details of those rights. They are all subject to infringement. Any gun owner should know that.

That wasn't at the border. It looked like US 11. I have been stopped on SR 30 just north of Paul Smith's which is more than 20 miles from the border. I had 2 rifles in the trunk & lots if ammo. I was on my way to shoot at a range in Saranac Lake. I was wondering if they were going to ask me if I "had any weapons".

If you live up here near the border, this is a common thing on SR 37, CR 310 & various other routes. They hide just 1 1/2 miles north of my house, but I think that is just a loafing spot.

Edited by wildcat junkie

This is the whole issue surrounding 'routine' checkpoints. Unless cops are looking for a fleeing suspect or kidnap victims in a trunk, there is no basis for any suspicion and no legal basis for making stops. This is just fishing , and fishing is illegal in America.

Legally, the girl's actions are irrelevant. She should never have been stopped.

I see these activities as being a form of conditioning for future acceptance.

Again… random check points are BS but unfortunately they are legal and therefor the little "victims" actions are completely relevant. IMHO the "victim" could not have been more obvious about what she was trying to do. Thats the story here. 

One time I yelled "whiplash!!!!" after my pickup was rear ended by a bicycle…….they all just laughed...

That wasn't at the border. It looked like US 11. I have been stopped on SR 30 just north of Paul Smith's which is more than 20 miles from the border. I had 2 rifles in the trunk & lots if ammo. I was on my way to shoot at a range in Saranac Lake. I was wondering if they were going to ask me if I "had any weapons".

If you live up here near the border, this is a common thing on SR 37, CR 310 & various other routes. They hide just 1 1/2 miles north of my house, but I think that is just a loafing spot.

The BP are sitting around everywhere  up here. Heck, they are sitting in our little "village" of Morley ,15 miles south of the border,at least a couple times a week. Stop looks to be at rt 37 where the access rd. to Iroquois dam is. I recognize the spot well because I have spent a lot of time fishing in the bays you can access from it..

I would have to agree her attitude sucks, but there is still 0 reason that it escalated that far. If that was my daughter and I was there(after telling her to be quiet myself) I would definitely be in jail.

Every time I get stopped at these checkpoints I have to suck it up and keep my mouth closed(I'm not rich enough to get out of trouble) Where do I live? where am I going ?for how long?....? None of their dam business... GRRRR.. Oh but I do feel  protected against all those dam terrorists streaming across the border. What a joke. Meanwhile 30 mile NE the Mohawks are smuggling millions if not a billion dollars worth of drugs ,untaxed cigarettes , and illegal aliens. across the border every year..

• Like 3

it escalated that far because she wanted it to. Both officers were calm and respectful. She was intentionally rude, obnoxious and defiant. Only someone fishing for a lawsuit or a colossal A-hole would have got themselves into that situation. 

• Like 2